Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #26
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17348

Reputation Level: 0
Avguytx is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Volt difference

Yes, it's normal to drop like that. You're comparing idle engine voltage versus driving speeds. Alternators rate their best output at 2,000 RPM and up....not at idle. Common practice in big system cars back then, and maybe now, would be to have a smaller pulley on the alternator so it spun faster at lower RPM because in Crank Up competitions, you had to leave your engine at idle and not rev it up.

So, yes...that's normal.
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #27
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6559

Reputation Level: 9
Lownismo is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Volt difference

Originally Posted by Cammus View Post
Update:

I redid my wires. B+ and Ground. The voltage is more stable now.
Battery reads 13.6 and amp 13.4
Now...another question. Is my alternator bad if while driving on a sunny day, the voltage goes from 14.4 in the morning then 13.6-13.8 driving temperature and drops to 12.5 while stuck on traffic? Of course it will go up to 13.6 again when I drive again but...is it normal to drop that low?
Completely normal. Especially in warm or cold weather using the air or heat. Will sitting still
Your cars hart and air system is drawing more current off your battery and charging system.
That why I like the capacitor, it help keep the little uumph if power stored when needed. To your stereo anyways.
Lownismo is offline   Send a private message to Lownismo Find more posts by Lownismo Add Lownismo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top