Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default When Should I Drain/Refill or Flush My CVT Transmission?

I can finally clear this up for people who were wondering when to change their CVT Transmission Fluid.

Below are my facts and research directly from the 2008-2009 Nissan Service Manuals.

Please Note: It all depends on how you drive/push your car. Most normal average daily commuters wait until 60K to replace their CVT fluids. Now those who push it every single day...30K would be a good start. Push meaning "Pedal to the Metal". But before doing anything you should always check your fluid before changing it. This will give a more accurate answer if you need to replace it. Some people don't even bother checking and just have it changed anyway. Its not that difficult.

Determine CVT Fluid Health: How To Check Your CVT Transmission Fluid Health?

These are all Nissan Recommended Service Intervals. Always check your fluids current health before moving forward.

30,000 MILES OR 24 MONTHS
-Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid

60,000 MILES OR 48 MONTHS

90,000 MILES OR 72 MONTHS

120,000 MILES OR 96 MONTHS

Final Verdict: Well there you have it. According to the Nissan Service Manuals it is recommended you replace your CVT Transmission fluid at those intervals via a Drain/Refill.

If you notice at every interval (30K, 60K, 90K and 120K), it indicates that a Flush is optional. What is basically means that “its not recommend”. If it was, it would actually tell you to replace like it did at service interval 60K. Most dealers will tell you that you need a flush because obviously it generates more $$$ but in reality all you need is a simple drain and refill. I hope this information helps everyone.

Additional Helpful threads:Additional Information From 2007 & 2008 Nissan Service Manual’s

30,000 MILES OR 24 MONTHS
_ Replace engine oil and filter
_ Lubricate all locks/hinges
_ Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
_ Replace differential oil 1
_ Replace engine air filter
_ Replace engine coolant/flush system
_ Replace engine drive belts
_ Replace in-cabin microfilter 2
_ Replace manual transmission oil
_ Replace radiator cap
_ Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
_ Replace wiper blades
_ Rotate tires (except 350Z)
_ Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)

60,000 MILES OR 48 MONTHS
_ Replace HEV inverter coolant 5
_ Replace radiator cap
_ Replace radiator hoses
_ Replace wiper blades
_ Optional: flush automatic

90,000 MILES OR 72 MONTHS
_ Replace radiator cap
_ Replace wiper blades
_ Optional: flush automatic

120,000 MILES OR 96 MONTHS
_ Replace radiator cap
_ Replace radiator hoses
_ Replace wiper blades
_ Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Nathaniel216 (08-22-2013)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: When Should I Drain/Refill or Flush My CVT Transmission?

First post updated. First CVT recommded service interval is at 30K.

But keep this in mind:

Please Note: It all depends on how you drive/push your car. Most normal daily drivers wait until 60K to replace their CVT fluids. Now those who push it every single day...30K would be a good start.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM   Thread Starter #3

Bump!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Chi Towns Finest

Official Member #: 508

Reputation Level: 6
Javi is an unknown quantity at this point

A+ Thread!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 53
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post

But keep this in mind:
Eddy, my wife's Altima owners manual says 60K on the CVT fluid. My Maxima manual says the same...60K.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Eddy, my wife's Altima owners manual says 60K on the CVT fluid. My Maxima manual says the same...60K.
My info comes from the 2008 Nissan Service Manual which includes both the CVT Altima and CVT Maxima. At 30K Nissan is only recommending it as part of the Premium Maintenance Plan which is optional. Although recommended, it is not required.

It all depends on how the car is driven. The fuild is inspected at 30K and they change it depending on its color at that stage. But for most people, 30K is probably a little bit to early and the dealer will tell you to come back at 60K

Link: http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...2008_N_SMG.pdf

In my first post I mentioned 60K as well because thats what dealers usually tell their customers.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 PM   Thread Starter #7

Don... here is the 2008 Nissan Maxima Owner's Manual in PDF

2008 Owner's Manual: http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...san-Maxima.pdf

I could not find where it said 60K. Do you remember where? I checked the maintenance section but there was no reference to the service interval for CVT.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Eddy, my wife is at work with her car. I'll check tomorrow when I get home from work and I'll let you know. I know we had her oild changed at a local garage, and they called stating she needed her trans service as she was at 30K miles. I checked her book, and it said 60K, so I didn't get it done. I just figured the Maxima had to be the same, as it's the same trans.

I just checked the FSM that I have downloaded, and it says that there are numerous "inspections" of the CVT fluid. There is a note that says:
"(1) If towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, inspect CVT fluid deterioration with CONSULT-II every
60,000 miles (96,000 km), then change CVT Fluid NS-2 if necessary.

If Consult-II is not available, change (not just inspect) the CVT Fluid NS-2 every 60,000 miles (96,000 km). Using automatic transmission fluid other
than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

If I'm reading this correctly, it says the Consult-II can determine if your fluid needs changed, but if the Consult-II is not available, and you do heavy towing, then change the fluid at 60K miles. I'm not seeing anything that says change it at 30K...only inspection.

The section in the FSM is MA-7.

I'm not able to open the link that you posted Eddy.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 09-09-2010 at 05:42 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 PM   Thread Starter #9

That's pretty weird because the Consult II does not support the 2007-2008 Maxima. It only supports models up to 2006. At least for timing advances it doesn't but I'm surprised it didn't mention the Consult III.

Your statement and information is accurate because that is what most dealers recommend. The Maintenance Manual states that the fluids are inspected at 30K, 60K and 120K. If actually needed at 30K based on visual inspection then they will actually replace it. The guide I posted does not say its needed but at 30K but just let the customer know that it should be inspected and based on findings they should take appropriate action.

60K is a good number for most. I always check my fluids from time to time.

Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Mile High City 6th Gen

Official Member #: 483

Reputation Level: 10
vitec115 is on a distinguished road

Visit vitec115's PS3 Profile Visit vitec115's Xbox Gamercard

Great info!! A++.doing this is just a matter of removing the bolt from the bottom of the tranny and putting the new fluid right?,is not really that hard.
vitec115 is offline   Send a private message to vitec115 Find more posts by vitec115 Add vitec115 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by vitec115 View Post
Great info!! A++.doing this is just a matter of removing the bolt from the bottom of the tranny and putting the new fluid right?,is not really that hard.
That is just a simple drain/fill. I believe to completely flush it that they need to hook it up to a machine...this process replaces ALL of the fluid in the trans.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM   Thread Starter #12

Don... I called two dealerships. One said 30K and the other said "we change it when we think its looking bad. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Don... I called two dealerships. One said 30K and the other said "we change it when we think its looking bad. lol
I'm sure every dealership in existence would be more than happy to change it at every 10K...knowing what they charge!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 22
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

But keep this in mind:
Is there a filter or screen that needs to be changed along with?
cgoss is offline   Send a private message to cgoss Find more posts by cgoss Add cgoss to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 11:53 AM   Thread Starter #15

Originally Posted by cgoss View Post
Yes, you can/should replace the "In-cabin microfilter 2". A lot of people miss this. Sometimes you can just take it out and dust it off without having to replace it if its in good condition.

There is a video on it in the How To Section.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Yes, you can/should replace the "In-cabin microfilter 2". A lot of people miss this. Sometimes you can just take it out and dust it off without having to replace it if its in good condition.

There is a video on it in the How To Section.
Eddy, I think he meant is there a trans filter...like I had on my Taurus. Chris, if that's what you meant, then as far as the trans goes, just empty and fill...DO NOT open it up. If it's not what you meant, then I apologize Eddy...feel free to tell me to but out !
Old 09-11-2010, 12:48 PM   Thread Starter #17

Eddy, I think he meant is there a trans filter...like I had on my Taurus. Chris, if that's what you meant, then as far as the trans goes, just empty and fill...DO NOT open it up. If it's not what you meant, then I apologize Eddy...feel free to tell me to but out !
No, you're probably right lol. I'm glad we have contributors like you Don. Greatly appreciated on providing valuable insight.

This is a huge help for the future of owners who become members here. Its difficult sometimes to find these write ups in plain English and detailed to this level online.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
The Local 6.5 Gen

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info.
cgoss is offline   Send a private message to cgoss Find more posts by cgoss Add cgoss to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #19

Official Member #: 513

Reputation Level: 15
Maxine1 will become famous soon enough

This is exactly what i was looking for thanks!!!
Maxine1 is offline   Send a private message to Maxine1 Find more posts by Maxine1 Add Maxine1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM   Thread Starter #20

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info.
He's 100% correct.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Maxine1 View Post
This is exactly what i was looking for thanks!!!
woohoO!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

He's 100% correct.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Could you say that one more time...I never hear it at home! :sHa_yay:
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM   Thread Starter #22

Could you say that one more time...I never hear it at home! :sHa_yay:

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

TY,TYVM!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #24
Donating Member

Official Member #: 67

Reputation Level: 7
cubbyjg is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

hahaha that picture never gets old
cubbyjg is offline   Send a private message to cubbyjg Find more posts by cubbyjg Add cubbyjg to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #25
The Local 6.5 Gen

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

How much do I need to purchase before doing a drain/refill?