Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

Royal Purple Ltd. was black and blue after BP Lubricants USA took it to task over advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, finding a receptive audience in the advertising industry’s self-regulatory forum.

The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus recommended Porter, Texas-based Royal Purple modify or discontinue numerous advertising claims for its synthetic motor oil, following a challenge by Wayne, N.J.-based BP Lubricants. The NAD examined comparative performance and superiority claims in print, broadcast and Internet advertising. In some of the advertising, Royal Purple compared its performance to Castrol, Shell, Amsoil and other motor oil brands.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumer testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

“Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat,” the organization stated. “While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.”

NAD recommended Royal Purple discontinue claims such as “Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3 percent,” “Reduces Engine Wear by 80 percent,” “Superior Oxidation Stability” and “Provides Film Strength Up to 400 Percent.”

“If industry-standard tests or tests with carefully documented controls were abandoned, there would be no basis whatsoever for making any meaningful claims about the relative efficacy of motor oils,” BP said in its challenge.

NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue claims that stated, “Improves fuel economy by as much as 5 percent” and “Fuel economy improvement up to 5 percent or more” because its Environmental Protection Agency testing was inconclusive and the “Oklahoma State Study” and single cylinder Labeco CLR diesel engine testing cited in Royal Purple’s advertising was not relevant. The NAD noted the 1997 OSU Study was “outdated and nothing in the record demonstrated that the formulations of the competitors’ oils were similar to those available for sale on the market today.”

BP Lubricants said it hired the independent laboratory Southwest Research Institute, in San Antonio, to analyze power output of gasoline engines with Royal Purple Oil and with BP’s Castrol oil for comparisons. “The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,” NAD stated. “The challenger’s [BP’s] expert determined a 0.9 percent difference in power between the oils, which did not rise to the level of statistical significance, and is well below the 3 percent claim made by the advertiser.”

SwRI did additional tests to independently determine the differences in fuel economy, emissions data and engine temperature between Royal Purple and Castrol motor oils. According to SwRI, “there was no statistically significant difference between the fuel economy, emissions data or engine temperature between the two candidate oils,” NAD said.

Following its review of the non-anecdotal evidence in the record, NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue the claims, “Reduces emissions up to 20 percent or more” and “Reductions in emissions of 20 percent or more” because the studies on which the claims were based were outdated and not consumer-relevant.

NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

In fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.

The American Petroleum Institute licenses its trademarked Service Symbol, or ‘donut,’ for display on qualified engine oils, and also licenses the ILSAC ‘starburst’ logo for oils that meet the auto industry’s latest energy-conserving standards. In API’s online directory of licensees for its Engine Oil Licensing and Certification Program, Royal Purple has a total of 23 passenger car and diesel engine oil products listed, all licensed to use the API donut. Five of these may additionally display the words ‘energy conserving’ within the donut logo, but none of the Royal Purple products are licensable to the current ILSAC GF-4 specification and they cannot display the starburst logo.

Royal Purple also voluntarily agreed to discontinue the claims, “most advanced,” “unsurpassed performance” and “unparalleled performance,” steps the NAD said were necessary and proper to avoid confusion in the marketplace.

“While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,” the company said in its response to NAD. “... [Royal Purple] has already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

BP Lubricants did not return phone calls from Lube Report requesting comment on NAD’s decision.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #2

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

Nice find, everyone was jizzing all over Royal Purple, now look they never did any real tests.

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Good info. I never had any problems with Royal Purple. Tried it once. Currently on AMSOIL.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
1st Place Maxima

Official Member #: 77

Reputation Level: 27
chulo will become famous soon enoughchulo will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

currently on amsoil also
chulo is offline   Send a private message to chulo Find more posts by chulo Add chulo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 29
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Never tried Royal. Always stuck with Mobil1
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM   Thread Starter #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

What does oil do ?

As automobiles are redesigned to create more powerful yet efficient engines, lubricants have to be redesigned to meet the increased demands placed on them. Higher engine temperatures and decreased oil sump capacities mean that motor oils have to work much harder in today's engines than they used to.

But what is it really that an oil does? Of course, we know that oil is necessary, and we all probably have the general idea that oil makes things slippery so that metal parts can more easily pass by one another.

But, is there more to it than that?

YES. Much more.
Functions of a Motor Oil

In order for your engine to function properly and with adequate power, a lubricating motor oil must perform four main functions:

IT MUST LUBRICATE

Motor oil must lubricate engine components so that they will easily pass by one another without a significant loss of power due to friction. Of course, at start-up, this is especially true. As an engine sits, oil tends to run down into the oil pan. Therefore, when the engine is started, the oil must be quickly pumped throughout the engine to provide sufficient cranking speed for the engine to turn over.

Once the engine is running, motor oil must create a film between moving parts to make them "slippery" which increases power, performance and efficiency. Each different type of engine requires a certain viscosity range in order that the oil will provide an adequate film between moving parts while still flowing quickly and easily enough throughout the engine.

Some people believe that if a 30 weight oil provides good protection, a 50 weight must provide great protection. That's not necessarily true. If your vehicle was not designed to take a 50 weight oil, using one may not cause more engine wear, but it will likely cause an increase in engine temperatures. This can be just as bad for the longevity of your engine as increased engine wear.

IT MUST PROTECT

The film that a motor oil provides between metal surfaces does more than just lubricate. By keeping engine components from coming in contact with each other, a motor oil also provides protection against wear. That probably seems pretty obvious. However, there is another way in which an oil protects.

Motor oil must protect against corrosion of engine components. Oxidation of the oil and contamination via condensation and combustion by-products all cause acids within an engine oil. If these acids are allowed to come into contact with engine components, corrosion occurs and premature component failure is the result. Engine oils are designed to combat these acids.

IT MUST CLEAN

If an engine does not remain clean, it does not remain efficient. Deposits within an engine gum up the works and reduce fuel efficiency while robbing your engine of performance. In addition, contaminants within an oil that are left "unguarded" can cause incalculable wear within an engine.

Any particle larger than 5 to 20 microns in size (depending upon the vehicle) will seriously damage an engine if not removed or contained. To give you an idea of how small this is, a human hair is 100 microns thick. Although filtration plays a big role in this area, the oil also has to play it's part by keeping deposits from forming within the engine and by holding contaminants in suspension until they can be removed by the oil filter.

IT MUST COOL

Motor oil is responsible for a large percentage of the cooling that takes place within your engine. Your radiator (anti-freeze system) is only responsible for cooling the upper portion of your engine. The rest (crankshaft, camshaft, timing gears, pistons, main and connecting rod bearings and many other critical engine components are cooled mainly by the motor oil within your engine.

Heat is generated within an engine from both the combustion process and the friction caused by the motion of engine components. As oil passes through the system it is directed onto these hot surfaces in order to carry the heat away to the oil pan. From here the heat is dissipated to the air surrounding the pan.
It's Much More Than Just "Slippery Stuff"

Motor oil is CRITICAL to proper function and long life for your engine, and the quality of the oil you choose is probably one of the most important things you can consider when it comes to proper care of your vehicle. Don't skimp and don't guess. Take advantage of "The Motor Oil Evaluator" oil comparison application to OBJECTIVELY find the best oil for YOUR application, in just minutes.
Ive been running the same Castol 10w-40 for 18 years...

While most of guys are thinking of the Present and what these companys offer you and advertise all this hype.

Take a time and place yourself in the 70s-80s era, a Time when *REAL* racing was done.

Im not talking about Oval track or Drag racing ( Short attention span Racing )

im talking about F1s, LeMans, WRC, Group B racing in Europe.

Cars like Audis, Renault , Fiat's , Bi-charged, TurboCharged ITB's , what OIL where they using then ?

Mobile 1 wasnt around, Nor Amsoil ENZO, just regular motor oil.

30 years later alot of the 2011 Era people , forgot about those era ages, they did not have half the technology as were running and yet they made power with regular motor oil and alot of driving skills.

To me , RP and others are more of hype, because after you spend about 50 bucks in oil, after 3K miles you flush it out and dump it...

I will stick to my 5QT special at Walmart or Advance and run castol or penzoil all day long ! 18 years and I never had one failure !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 23
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

Penzoil 4 life man..
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top