Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Redline's Water Wetter

I use this on my car as an additive to my Anti-freeze. Great product!! Although it does cool the engine and much as they say it does... it does make a nice difference. I would recommend this to anyone. Works well if have spacers to continue keeping the engine cooler. Just pour it in your current coolant container.

You can get it from your local Strauss, Autozone or any other parts store. Its about $8 bucks.

Note: This does not replace your anti-freeze. Its simply and additive.

Click the image to open in full size.

WaterWetter« is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30║F. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.

Here's a full review:

Inexpensive products that promise significant improvements to your car’s performance are almost always fool’s gold. This is especially true for engine additives (*cough* STP *cough*). However, there’s one company with a sterling reputation for delivering on its promises: Redline Synthetic. Since 1979, the Benicia, California company has been selling coolants, fuel additives and lubricants to the automotive, motorcycle, marine and industrial markets. As part of their range, Redline offer a product called WaterWetter«. They claim their potion can reduce car coolant temperatures by as much as 30║F. That’s hot! I mean, not.

I reckoned it’d be a doddle to test the bottle. I’d simply run my car sans Redline’s additive and check the coolant temperature. Then, following the instructions on the bottle with my usual precision, I’d give my mount the magic potion, drive the same test loop and measure the temp again.

For the mechanically challenged, installation of WaterWetter« could not be easier. Assuming you can open your hood, open your hood (when it is cold, otherwise prepare for a scalding). Locate the radiator fluid intake point (RTFM if necessary). If you have too much fluid in the overflow tank (above the line labeled max), simply siphon off 12 ounces before installing, as overfilling is a really bad idea. Open the radiator cap (or on most modern cars, the overflow tank) and pour in the full bottle of WaterWetter«, funnel optional.

Before I reveal the results of my test, let’s look at Redline's claims for WaterWetter«'s effects on your cooling system:

• Doubles the wetting ability of water
• Improves heat transfer
• Reduces cylinder head temperatures
• May allow more spark advance for increased torque
• Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
• Provides long term corrosion protection
• Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
• Prevents foaming
• Reduces cavitation corrosion
• Complexes with hard water to reduce scale

According to Redline, WaterWetter«’s greatest benefits accrue to those cars running straight water in their cooling system– which doesn't include anyone living in snow country. Translation: WaterWetter« offers all the normal protection benefits of regular coolant to people who don't use regular coolant. Oh, at a lower temperature. Well, theoretically…
Strangely, Redline’s own test results don’t square with their ad copy. Their technical literature only shows an eight degree Fahrenheit drop in a car with a 50/50 mix of water and coolant, and an eighteen degree Fahrenheit drop for a car running 100 percent water.

I used a VagCom system (reads sensor data directly from the ECU) for my tests. The pre-WaterWetter« installation delivered temperatures between 96 and 98 degrees centigrade (or 205 to 208 degrees Fahrenheit for the Americans). The post-installation temperature stayed steady at 96 degrees centigrade. Clearly, not the results advertised.

Other websites have tested WaterWetter« and also concluded that the overall decrease in coolant temperature is marginal. So WaterWetter«’s benefits either lie elsewhere (or nowhere). That assessment requires a certain level of trust with Redline products. In my experience, based on their oil products, they deserve this trust.

In reviewing the technical literature on Redline’s website, WaterWetter« claims to reduce hot spots in a car’s cylinder head. In theory at least, this reduces the possibility of localized overheating, improving engine longevity. Supposedly, WaterWetter« also protects aluminum products in the cooling system from excessive heat and cavitation caused by vapor bubbles forming inside the cylinder head and water pump.

In addition, for cars running straight water, WaterWetter« provides some additional protection. This includes traditional coolant roles of reducing corrosion and lubrication of water pump seals. For cars caned on the track or driven in the summer only, a water-only engine and cooling system solution will lead to problems. However, for cars with a tradition 50/50 mix of water and trad coolant, these benefits are already present without WaterWetter«.

WaterWetter« is available at auto parts stores and online for less than $10 a bottle. One bottle is good for an entire cooling system, and lasts as long as you properly keep fluid in your system (assuming you follow the recommended practice of flushing your cooling system every two years or 30,000 miles).

Since WaterWetter« has no readily measurable benefit, should you consider putting this in your car? That depends on your personality and your relationship with your car.

If you’re like me, you like buying stuff for your car in the HOPES of improving power, performance, mileage or longevity (I put Chevron Techron in my tank every 1000 miles). It’s true: I’m a sucker for products that have the POTENTIAL to improve the car, even without any possibility of measuring the results. This is doubly true if the cost isn’t prohibitive and there isn’t any risk of a downside.

In other words, fool’s gold is as good as gold to a fool.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
RI's 6th Gen Elite
Donating Member

Official Member #: 93

Reputation Level: 16
elitemax04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

/ Point Value: 10

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Redline's Water Wetter

looks yummy like kool aid

In a relationship with MAXiPAD72O
elitemax04 is offline   Send a private message to elitemax04 Find more posts by elitemax04 Add elitemax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 137

Reputation Level: 10
silverwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Might be worth it. Sposed to be a hot summer.
silverwolf is offline   Send a private message to silverwolf Find more posts by silverwolf Add silverwolf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM   Thread Starter #4

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

^^ Its a $7.00-$8.00 fluid.

That's how much you spend on French Fries each day. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

i use this in my motorcycle. good shit!!

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #6

Official Member #: 228

Reputation Level: 0
up the middle is an unknown quantity at this point

anybody else try this product
up the middle is offline   Send a private message to up the middle Find more posts by up the middle Add up the middle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 220

Jingiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

I cant find this at my local autozone =\

maybe amazon!
Jingiko is offline   Send a private message to Jingiko Find more posts by Jingiko Add Jingiko to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM   Thread Starter #8

I bought mines from Autozone actually. lolll

Great producttt!!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 220

Jingiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

i found the last one in the flushing autozone.

how much do you put in?

I put 1/3 in my max and 1/3 in my murano.
It says by directions to use by the capful depending on how much coolant is in your car. not sure exactly how much coolant the max takes.
Jingiko is offline   Send a private message to Jingiko Find more posts by Jingiko Add Jingiko to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #10

Official Member #: 228

up the middle is an unknown quantity at this point

I put the whole bottle in my max
up the middle is offline   Send a private message to up the middle Find more posts by up the middle Add up the middle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM   Thread Starter #11

Yeah just put the whole bottle.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
SE-R PWR
Donating Member

Official Member #: 49

Tuko is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

From what I always undersm wtood is that you don't add this to your coolant, you put distilled water and this bottle instead of coolant. This prevents water from rusting the inside of your motor. Water is a better coolant than antifreeze. Problem is it will freeze in the winter. Maybe that's why it doesn't cool temps like the bottle says
Tuko is offline   Send a private message to Tuko Find more posts by Tuko Add Tuko to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
K & K Auto
Certified Service Tech

Official Member #: 5

Sum1Punjabi is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Originally Posted by Tuko View Post
From what I always undersm wtood is that you don't add this to your coolant, you put distilled water and this bottle instead of coolant. This prevents water from rusting the inside of your motor. Water is a better coolant than antifreeze. Problem is it will freeze in the winter. Maybe that's why it doesn't cool temps like the bottle says

The water wetter helps with the temps if you add it to your existing coolant/water mix. But it works the best with 100% distilled water, i would only use this mix if your running at the track, or its a race car. I use this in all my cars, works amazing in my bike.
Sum1Punjabi is offline   Send a private message to Sum1Punjabi Find more posts by Sum1Punjabi Add Sum1Punjabi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Official Member

Official Member #: 72

2themax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

THis is good stuff Eddy I use it all the time on all the rides.. especially used alot with bikes at the track no antifreeze permitted causes slick floor at the track. . Just this and water
2themax is offline   Send a private message to 2themax Find more posts by 2themax Add 2themax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

SummitRacing has it. I used it in my Mustang when I had it...good stuff.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

My qtp cutout came in the box for this product... thats how good it is!! LOL
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top