Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:57 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18006

Reputation Level: 0
sausec17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default MY First Oil Change. 2005 Max. 116k. Which oil??

Ok, so I recently bought a 2005 Maxima SE 2 months ago at 112k miles. It now has 116k and noticed the previous owner's oil change sticker and it says 5w30 synthetic.

The problem is, I seem to have developed the timing chain ticking noise so it appears that I will soon need to change the timing chain tensioners. Unable to spend the $2k to have the tensioners replaced, I need to make the Maxima last a good 3-6months before I can afford to replace them.

Also, my car seems to use/burn a good amount of oil as I added 1quart a month ago and it is still low.

I've also read that synthetic is thinner than conventional and may be a problem with higher mileage engines because synthetic may leak through the seals.

So my questions are:
Do I stick with the synthetic or go back to conventional (or a blend)?
I live in Georgia, so it doesn't get TOO cold in the winter but typically stays in the 30's, do I stay with 5w-30 or switch to something else?
What oil would be best to reduce the motor using oil/burning oil?
What oil would help my situation with the timing belt tensioners that are worn out?
Which filter should I use?

Thanks!
sausec17 is offline   Send a private message to sausec17 Find more posts by sausec17 Add sausec17 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 4
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: MY First Oil Change. 2005 Max. 116k. Which oil??

Run synthetic and add an oil stabilizer.
Stay with 5w30 in the winter, in the summer might need to switch to 10w30.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:53 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 18006

sausec17 is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to go with mobile 1 0w40 and OEM filter. Runs like a champ!

Reason I decided to go with this oil was because of the great oil analysis reports for our engines. Not a lot of oil is used/burned with this oil and there is a significant reduction in metal particles found.

Installed a catch can too, so I'm excited to see what it looks like after 1k
incubus0111 (01-14-2017), sprocketser (01-14-2017)
sausec17 is offline   Send a private message to sausec17 Find more posts by sausec17 Add sausec17 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #4

Official Member #: 18216

jcollins28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sausec17 View Post
Ok, so I recently bought a 2005 Maxima SE 2 months ago at 112k miles. It now has 116k and noticed the previous owner's oil change sticker and it says 5w30 synthetic.

The problem is, I seem to have developed the timing chain ticking noise so it appears that I will soon need to change the timing chain tensioners. Unable to spend the $2k to have the tensioners replaced, I need to make the Maxima last a good 3-6months before I can afford to replace them.

Also, my car seems to use/burn a good amount of oil as I added 1quart a month ago and it is still low.

I've also read that synthetic is thinner than conventional and may be a problem with higher mileage engines because synthetic may leak through the seals.

So my questions are:
I live in Georgia, so it doesn't get TOO cold in the winter but typically stays in the 30's, do I stay with 5w-30 or switch to something else?
What oil would help my situation with the timing belt tensioners that are worn out?

Thanks!
Greetings for RAMFORUM.com. I have come to warn of one of your members Sausec17 real name Sean Ausec. Sean has a history of ripping people off on internet forums. Since he sold his Ram he burned some people on his way out including me.

In my search for info on this guy who stole 300 dollars from me. I have found the following link where he stole money from members on an AR15 forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/948923_.html&page=1

This guy is a thief and his account should be locked immediately. If Sean Ausec has stolen anything from any member. Contact me for his home address, phone number place of employment and his families contact info.

For more info look at the "For Sale" section on www.ramforum.com
jcollins28 is offline   Send a private message to jcollins28 Find more posts by jcollins28 Add jcollins28 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 9
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to go with mobile 1 0w40 and OEM filter. Runs like a champ!

Reason I decided to go with this oil was because of the great oil analysis reports for our engines. Not a lot of oil is used/burned with this oil and there is a significant reduction in metal particles found.

Installed a catch can too, so I'm excited to see what it looks like after 1k
Little bump here , might be the next oil I ll use , any pics of the catch can by any chance !
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Official Member #: 18422

majestic88 is an unknown quantity at this point

So my questions are:

Thanks!
I would use a blend at this point
majestic88 is offline   Send a private message to majestic88 Find more posts by majestic88 Add majestic88 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top