Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2713

Reputation Level: 0
onyx6gmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Visit onyx6gmax's Facebook Visit onyx6gmax's Twitter Visit onyx6gmax's YouTube
Default I Am Almost At 110,000 miles. Where Do I Get The Stuff I Need???

I have a 2004 Max SL with 108,500. No problems since I bought it at 92k. I just did an oil change with Castrol Edge Titanium 5w30 (gold bottle that says it holds hp 60% longer than conventional oil). I have a clean K&N Filter, with resonator box removed, clean in cabin filter, and rotated tires. I bought it from CARMAX so I am not sure what they did before I bought it or after they bought it that is. I am making about 25mpg when I take it easy and 22mpg when I drive like an idiot. I dont have any crazy engine noise like some people do with the rattling and my suspension feels tight. My transmission shifts firmly and consistantly. So to my point finally...do I need new spark plugs and wires or drain and refill my transmission or what? If so, where do I get these things because I want really nice ones and I need to know what fits mine because I am a DIY. I dont trust all the dumbass mechanics out there who tell you they "put a new transmission in for me" when all they did was replace the gears that were grinded down and did not replace the torque converter which was spitting metal chunks into the transmission(This is what happened to my 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi with 130k miles which ended up with me trading it in for my 2004 Max SL after it went 30k more miles on a half fixed transmission and then lost Drive and could only drive in 1st and 2nd gear) I do not want to go through the same thing with my car, I love it too much and do not have the money for another new car. I am still under the 150k mile warranty from CARMAX but I dont want to do anything horrible to my baby. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
onyx6gmax is offline   Send a private message to onyx6gmax Find more posts by onyx6gmax Add onyx6gmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 3069

Reputation Level: 10
byrothapyro is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: I Am Almost At 110,000 miles. Where Do I Get The Stuff I Need???

Won't hurt to do the tranny fluid. Matic-K only. I'm at 160k and just did a full seafoam treatment. You can literally feel the difference once the engine has been cleaned.

Posted Via Tapatalk Pro for Android.
byrothapyro is offline   Send a private message to byrothapyro Find more posts by byrothapyro Add byrothapyro to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

First let me say, I don't like CarMax because they are over priced, but in their defense and from my own personal research CarMax has a very good reputation. How else could they stay in business for so long and have repeat customers year after year. That is saying a lot for a nationwide used car company. They sell a good product.

First I would go back to CarMax and ask for a detailed report of what was done to the car before they sold it to you. They should have provided new tires, fresh oil change, new hoses and belts, new brakes and a transmission flush along with replacing any burned out interior and exterior lights along with proper scheduled maintenance for the miles already on the car.

They really do try to sell a top condition automobile.

You should not have to do anything other than the regular scheduled maintenance as detailed in your owners manual. The only thing you need to do, is figure out what maintenance schedule you need to be on according to the miles driven since any last maintenance was performed at CarMax.

That's my opinion. Others may differ.

Good Luck.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Latinmaxima (01-04-2012)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Thunder hit it on the head. If they did not do plugs, then you are due...

Tags
100k, spark plugs, transmission, tune up

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance