Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM   Thread Starter #1
The Go To Guy
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 27
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default Eneos - CVT Fluid Other Than Nissan

Nissan is not the only place to get CVT fluid. Check with your local auto part store for this brand. There are different types of this fluid so make sure it is compatiable with your trans fluid type which should be NS-2. Price is around $13.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Mr DoLLa is offline   Send a private message to Mr DoLLa Find more posts by Mr DoLLa Add Mr DoLLa to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: CVT Fluid Other Than Nissan

Whats the standard cost for the dealer brand??

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Nice!!!

Price: $12.23 (Link Below)

Link: 2007-2012 Nissan Maxima CVT Fluid - Brake - Eneos 07-12 Maxima CVT Fluid - 19003-01145685 - PartsGeek

I'm wondering if using this brand will affect the warranty on the CVT if you ever have issues. They did increase the warranty till like 100K or 10 years...something like that. But I'm wondering if it does go bad...do they do fluid analysis? I know the've done it for the 04-06 transmissions.

Per Manual:

"Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2. Do not mix with other fluids.

Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Nice!!!

Price: $12.23 (Link Below)

Link: 2007-2012 Nissan Maxima CVT Fluid - Brake - Eneos 07-12 Maxima CVT Fluid - 19003-01145685 - PartsGeek

I'm wondering if using this brand will affect the warranty on the CVT if you ever have issues. They did increase the warranty till like 100K or 10 years...something like that. But I'm wondering if it does go bad...do they do fluid analysis? I know the've done it for the 04-06 transmissions.

Per Manual:

"Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2. Do not mix with other fluids.

Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."
YES!!! of course it will void your warranty. Manufacturers count on consumers to use after market products so as not to honor a warranty. It's the same with your printer and the ink. Off brand ink voids the warranty.

So there it is.

Wait until you are out of warranty before you decide to use aftermarket fluids (including ink).

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM   Thread Starter #5
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Warranty should still be honored. They cannot void your warranty for using an aftermarket oil, thats monopolizing. Its like saying since your engine oil isnt from Nissan we cant replace your timing chain even tho its under warranty. The oil is the same color and appears to be of the same quality, there is no way for them to tell that its not Nissan. I've been using it in my Murano for over a month and smooth sailing so far.

Last edited by Mr DoLLa; 01-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Mr DoLLa is offline   Send a private message to Mr DoLLa Find more posts by Mr DoLLa Add Mr DoLLa to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM   Thread Starter #6
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
Whats the standard cost for the dealer brand??
List is $19.99 and discounted is $15.50
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Mr DoLLa View Post
Warranty should still be honored. They cannot void your warranty for using an aftermarket oil, thats monopolizing. Its like saying since your engine oil isnt from Nissan we cant replace your timing chain even tho its under warranty. The oil is the same color and appears to be of the same quality, there is no way for them to tell that its not Nissan. I've been using it in my Murano for over a month and smooth sailing so far.
I agree 100% about the oil.

When it comes to the transmission fluid, I was under the impression (I will check my owners manual) aftermarket fluids were unacceptable and would void the warranty.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM   Thread Starter #8
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
I agree 100% about the oil.

When it comes to the transmission fluid, I was under the impression (I will check my owners manual) aftermarket fluids were unacceptable and would void the warranty.
I'm pretty sure its in the manual that you are supposed to use only Nissan fluid but that wont stick when it comes to a warranty claim. I mean c'mon, its the #1 selling oil in Japan. How bad could it be?? Lol.

Last edited by Mr DoLLa; 01-16-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
YES!!! of course it will void your warranty. Manufacturers count on consumers to use after market products so as not to honor a warranty. It's the same with your printer and the ink. Off brand ink voids the warranty.

So there it is.

Wait until you are out of warranty before you decide to use aftermarket fluids (including ink).
NO!!

I was thinking of another reason. I think by now we all know that if you don’t do exactly what the dealerships says then there is a “possibility” that you can void your warranty. While that is true….it is also accompanied by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Many people don’t know about this and dealers love to quickly deny claims. Knowledge is power!!

Nissan has to prove that the failure was caused by the fluid. But if I knew my transmission was going for some reason... I would refill with Nissan OEM and then go to the dealer to be safe. The same way you remove your "aftermarket parts" before you head out to the dealer. Just for added reassurance since we know what the outcome will be even though it might not be the "fluid's fault".

Dealer will ask you about which fluid you used. The moment you say NON-NISSAN... of course its voided by their terms which is valid. But they will need to prove it by some type of analysis
which costs Nissan time/money. If they prove it... you can't be mad. lol

The CVT transmission is considered a “sealed unit” so if it is deemed bad... they will replaced versus servicing it.

On Another Note:
ENEOS claims it meets all metal CVT Nissan specification. And here is what it says on their website:
  • ENEOS products are all API and SAE approved with the latest certifications. Using the correct application of ENEOS product will not void your vehicle's factory warranty.

I personally don’t think it is an issue and if I had a CVT I would give it a go based on prior experience from other CVT owners for drain and refills. If you look on the Murano forums and all other Nissan forums that use ENEOS, you will see that no one has had any reported issues.

And just as an FYI for CVT Owners
The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
07maximan (01-16-2012), 1hawaii50 (01-16-2012), Hmax (01-16-2012), Mr DoLLa (01-16-2012), NiZMo1o1 (01-17-2012)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Can you buy this stuff in stores or is it mail order only?

Also,Eddy what if you do your own maintenance? How does that affect the warranty? I need a fluid change but don't have the 250.00 the dealer charges to do this...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post

Also,Eddy what if you do your own maintenance? How does that affect the warranty? I need a fluid change but don't have the 250.00 the dealer charges to do this...
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act – Your Best Friend At Dealer

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Lol , I totally missed that part,thanks.

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #13

Looks like its cheaper online.

Price: $11.94

08 2008 Nissan Maxima CVT Fluid - Brake - Eneos - PartsGeek

See my thread on the Warranty part as Rani mentioned.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #14

Nissan retails CVT fluid at $20+ qt, and Eneos ist at @ $11/15qt.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   Thread Starter #15
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

You can do this yourself or bring it to a trusted mechanic. Its easier than doing an oil change. You will NOT void your warranty if the drain and fill is done properly. You can buy it at stores if your local auto part store carries the item.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

You can do this yourself or bring it to a trusted mechanic. Its easier than doing an oil change. You will NOT void your warranty if the drain and fill is done properly. You can buy it at stores if your local auto part store carries the item.
Easier than an oil change..wow I sure hope so. I need to do this bad.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   Thread Starter #17
The Go To Guy

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

It is. There's a How To here I'm sure.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

It is. There's a How To here I'm sure.
Yes, sir, there is.

Pops, you need to S E A R C H

How to Change Your CVT Transmission Fluid (Drain/Refill)

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #19

Default Re: Eneos - CVT Fluid Other Than Nissan

FYI.... I attached the official document. Overall the CVT's have been very durable on the 6thgens. Haven't heard much of any extreme CVT issues.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:
Nissan CVT Fluid NS-2 is the ONLY approved fluid for use in Nissan CVT transmissions.

Nissan Matic W is the ONLY approved fluid for use in Altima Hybrid eCVT transaxles.

A claim to Nissan for warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs to the CVT or eCVT transmission may be denied if proper fluids are not used as specified in this bulletin. (It doesn't say WILL be automatically denied.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NPSB_09_059_FINAL.pdf (77.0 KB, 7 views)

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
Yes, sir, there is.

Pops, you need to S E A R C H

How to Change Your CVT Transmission Fluid (Drain/Refill)
I never asked how to do it.... I knew there was a write up.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

i have yet to drain/refill or flush my cvt fluid and im at almost 76k miles

i think i will just do a normal drain and fill sometime soon with this new fluid though! Thanks!!!

kinda scares me that they would quite possible deny me if i needed warranty work though.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Nismo4Life07 View Post
i have yet to drain/refill or flush my cvt fluid and im at almost 76k miles

i think i will just do a normal drain and fill sometime soon with this new fluid though! Thanks!!!

kinda scares me that they would quite possible deny me if i needed warranty work though.
You can look it up if you want. # 1 Oil in Japan!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #23

Attached are are all the specs on the ENEOS CVT Fluid.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PB-ENEOS CVT Fluid.pdf (191.0 KB, 6 views)

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #24

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Is this a Sticky yet?

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
L36
Official Member

Official Member #: 3575

Reputation Level: 9
L36 is on a distinguished road

Transmission fluid is a bit more controversial than oil as its not a standard of a somewhat. Using engine oil as comparison is somewhat silly. (inb4 oil has additives too, yeah true but 99% of engines out there are made of identical metals.)

Allow me to explain: manual gear lubes for a manual gear box have GL-4 spec and GL-5 spec. Using GL-5 spec gear lube in my 5 gen M/T would cause my synchronizers to be dissolved due to some agents found in GL-5 spec gear oil, i have to use GL-4 gear oil or else my gear box gets it.

My point is, these fluids have various additives that may corrode some components of your transmission, causing failure. Therefore, i find nissan not honoring their CVT warranty if wrong fluid type used to be reasonable.
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top