Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:00 AM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default "Burping" Your Cooling System

Click the image to open in full size.
This procedure takes about 20 minutes and can keep you from making a simple thing complicated. This part is called a no-spill funnel and eliminates the need for burping when you follow the right fill procedures. Any tech worth his salt will tell you to use one.

With the engine cold...

1.) Insert the no spill funnel into the radiator cap opening, NOT THE RESERVOIR.

2.) Fill your coolant system with 50/50 water/coolant up to the BOTTOM of the no spill funnel.

3.) Turn your engine on and let it warm up.

4.) You'll see the coolant start to rise in a few minutes to the point where it almost overflows, but it shouldn't (much, if at all) , also turn the heater on , NO A/C and let it blow hot air

5.) The coolant level drops when the thermostat opens, and fans will kick on

6.) Pour in a little more coolant after the level drops, again to the bottom of the no-spill funnel. You now have coolant circulating in the motor AND the radiator. That doesn't happen until the coolant level rises and falls in the no spill funnel.

7.) give the car some throttle. This speeds up the water pump impeller a bit and chases out the last of the bubbles. You may have to do this a couple of times. Don't get impatient and cap it with little bubbles. Wait a bit while the car runs and they'll all dissipate.

8.) When you see the coolant churning and not bubbling, remove the no-spill funnel and put on your radiator cap. You might spill an ounce or two on the ground when this is done correctly.

*******DO NOT TURN THE CAR OFF BEFORE FINISHING THIS PROCEDURE. YOU WILL GET SCALDED!!!!********

This should be done once a year , esp for you guys up North that needs the Heater during Winter.
Max Power (01-11-2011)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 330

Reputation Level: 21
QMaxx will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: "Burping" Your Cooling System

Good info, I need to do this.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 186

Reputation Level: 13
daonlyillwiz is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I still do it the old fashion messy way where when your done you have to clean up after lol
Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 1083

Reputation Level: 12
Orbit is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Just to add to this, when you're done....squeeze the upper coolant hose (with a rag, since it'll be hot) and plug the funnel with the T handle. Release the hose, then pull the funnel out. This will pull coolant down below the top where the cap goes and not cause you to spill any.

Also I agree is nismo1o1, as a tech. This great after you have opened the cooling system...aka replacing the radiator. Usually go for $20-30.

Last edited by Orbit; 01-12-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Orbit is offline   Send a private message to Orbit Find more posts by Orbit Add Orbit to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top