Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance

Service, Recalls, Warranty & Maintenance Valuable service and maintenance information. Also discussion which engine and transmission fluids you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Anyone Running Amsoil In Their 6th Gens

I've been entertaining the idea of doing a 1 year amsoil oil change in my 6th gen, wanted to see if anyone here is doing this. Pros/cons. Any help is appreciated!
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Anyone running Amsoil in their 6th gens?

You mean leave the same oil in the car for a year?
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: Anyone running Amsoil in their 6th gens?

Originally Posted by Terrentius View Post
You mean leave the same oil in the car for a year?
yes, amsoils signature series oils are suppose to be good for up to 25,000 miles or 1 year.

The main concern for me is oil pressure loss. With the timing chain tensioner issues that our cars have, it's important to have good oil pressure, so i'm not sure if this oil will stay good for 1 year...
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Official Member

Default Re: Anyone Running Amsoil In Their 6th Gens

Well, your oil won't stay good for a year. From what I've read, oil is good till just under five months when existing within an engine, as opposed to its original sealed container that you bought it in.

You also have the issue of "blow-by" which is the ash, water, dirt, and gasoline moving past the piston rings. Setting aside pressure build-up, those are some of the other reasons why we have a PCV valve, and also have to change our oil at the recommended intervals.

Our engine bays are not sealed systems, like our transmissions, so the fluid needs to be changed out due to contamination. It also needs to be changed because of contamination since its ability to lubricate is markedly decreased once contaminated. A major factor in this is gasoline getting by the piston rings. Gasoline breaks down oil, so with "blow-by" being an inevitable consequence of the combustion process, it is only matter of time before the oil's effectiveness is degraded by the presence of gasoline.

With regard to oil pressure, if you leave the oil in for an entire year, with all the material that has blown-by the piston rings, then you are going to have increased wear in your engine and subsequently loss of oil pressure due to (1) the particulate, held in suspension in the oil, increasing the tolerances between parts within the engine, and (2) gasoline breaking down the effectiveness of the oil to lubricate the moving parts within the engine bay.

Last edited by Terrentius; 01-14-2014 at 09:49 PM.
amaxxf09 (02-12-2014)
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by Terrentius View Post
Well, your oil won't stay good for a year. From what I've read, oil is good till just under five months when existing within an engine, as opposed to its original sealed container that you bought it in.

You also have the issue of "blow-by" which is the ash, water, dirt, and gasoline moving past the piston rings. Setting aside pressure build-up, those are some of the other reasons why we have a PCV valve, and also have to change our oil at the recommended intervals.

Our engine bays are not sealed systems, like our transmissions, so the fluid needs to be changed out due to contamination. It also needs to be changed because of contamination, its ability to lubricated is markedly decreased.

With regard to oil pressure, if you leave the oil in for an entire year, with all the material that has blown-by the piston rings, then you are going to have increased wear in your engine and subsequently loss of oil pressure.

Good stuff. It's just annoying paying $70 every 6 months for a royal purple oil/filter change. I'm definitely a big believer in synthetics, so maybe ill just start buying the weekly specials at Canadian tire lol. I have a bunch of wix, amsoil and mann filters stocked, so that won't be an issue, but $55 for 5 quarts of RP is too much(I think anyway.....)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Official Member

Yeah, yeah, just wait for it to go on sale, bro. Its like toilet-paper, either Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge is on sale about every three weeks - $32 to $36 (Wal-Mart or Can Tire). I usually keep one jug ahead so to save $20 every time I change out the oil.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #7

Official Member #: 6540

Reputation Level: 8
incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shredda View Post
I've been entertaining the idea of doing a 1 year amsoil oil change in my 6th gen, wanted to see if anyone here is doing this. Pros/cons. Any help is appreciated!
I know of 2 people personally that do this. They change the filter every 6 months though.

There are a few post on here about that as well.
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 3958

07pebblebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I run amsoil in my engine.
07pebblebeach is offline   Send a private message to 07pebblebeach Find more posts by 07pebblebeach Add 07pebblebeach to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 AM   Thread Starter #9

Originally Posted by 07pebblebeach View Post
I run amsoil in my engine.
What viscosity, and how often do you change it?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 3958

07pebblebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I had 5-30 but the 0-30 better signature series I replace once a year oil change.replace oil filter in middle of year.

Changing more often is better of course.
07pebblebeach is offline   Send a private message to 07pebblebeach Find more posts by 07pebblebeach Add 07pebblebeach to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 07pebblebeach View Post
I had 5-30 but the 0-30 better signature series I replace once a year oil change.replace oil filter in middle of year.

Changing more often is better of course.
Considering how much oil the VQ35de sucks back into the intake through the PCV....(those that have installed an oil separator can attest to that)I hope you check your oil level frequently....if not you are 100% low on oil between oil changes. This will put premature wear on your timing chain slack adjusters and you are going to be opening the timing side of the VQ or paying someone big bucks to do so...IMO.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top