Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM   Thread Starter #1
RezThread Starter
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4497

Reputation Level: 0
Rez is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Vibration When Accelerating

Hey guys my car vibrates 95% of the time I accelerate. The steering wheel will shake, albeit not extremely violently but very noticeable, also it rattles my arm rest a lot. I checked and replaced the engines mounts aboutt 25k miles ago, my mileage is at 135k right now, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic checked my tranny mount too and said they were okay.
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 11
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Vibration when accelerating

I think alot of people have that issue. I have a very light shimmy in my steering wheel. Although it got alot better when i had my tires balanced an alignment done...
Kontra-vers-E (03-25-2012)
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Hey guys my car vibrates 95% of the time I accelerate. The steering wheel will shake, albeit not extremely violently but very noticeable, also it rattles my arm rest a lot. I checked and replaced the engines mounts aboutt 25k miles ago, my mileage is at 135k right now, any advice would be greatly appreciated. My mechanic checked my tranny mount too and said they were okay.
Have you had your shocks and struts checked out?

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM   Thread Starter #4
RezThread Starter

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post

Have you had your shocks and struts checked out?
Yea, I had them replaced about 2k miles ago along with the with strut mounts. I have no idea what could be wrong, really bugging me
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

It's not shocks or steering wheel shimmy. Check your axles, that is a perfect example of axles going out.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

Official Member #: 27

Reputation Level: 13
Jammaxx is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by RAZ76 View Post
It's not shocks or steering wheel shimmy. Check your axles, that is a perfect example of axles going out.
i second this....had the same issue and it was all from a bad passenger side axle
Old 03-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Vibration When Accelerating

I would be checking these items:

1. 0uter/inner tie rod ends
2. Wheel balance
3. Your tires. (feel around your tire for smoothness) tires are probably cupped...

Wheel balance issue usually surfaces at higher speeds unless you are completely Missing weights. If you experience shaking at low speed and steering components are tight, i would focus on the tires.

Via Samsung Galaxy Note.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
Kenji (03-29-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Quicksilver

RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
I would be checking these items:

1. 0uter/inner tie rod ends
2. Wheel balance
3. Your tires. (feel around your tire for smoothness) tires are probably cupped...

Wheel balance issue usually surfaces at higher speeds unless you are completely Missing weights. If you experience shaking at low speed and steering components are tight, i would focus on the tires.

Via Samsung Galaxy Note.
Those items would cause vibration at all speeds or just certain speeds. His issue is only when accelerating, that to me screams like axles.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RAZ76 View Post

Those items would cause vibration at all speeds or just certain speeds. His issue is only when accelerating, that to me screams like axles.
Cupped Tires /worn tires wouldwould cause the vibration at both low and high speeds. Balance usually at higher speeds, depending on the weight offset though. If this vibration is STRICTLY under acceleration and motormounts/tranny were replaced then It wouldnt hurt to check axles. They usually should not cause shimmy unless its the right axle with the bearing support... Another thing is alignment.....anyparts steering/suspension replaced on OP Car?

Via Samsung Galaxy Note.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 AM   Thread Starter #10
RezThread Starter

Okay well I'm gonna check out the axles like Raz said. Also I know that I have bad inner tie rods which is the next thing I'm doing, replacing both inner and outer. I noticed they were bad when I would turn slowly and I would hear some popping noise, I replaced the struts and strut mounts because of that noise. Also I don't really understand what cupping of the tire means but one of my front tires has some uneven tread worn issues on the outer edge. I also have to balance and get an alignment soon. I'm re doing the struts to Monroe oes spectrums and putting teins all around because I can't stand how our cars sag in the back. I hope after alignment and balancing after doing the suspension work that this vibration goes away, but with my luck, it will probably adhere. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 AM   Thread Starter #11
RezThread Starter

Also the car runs pretty smooth unless accelerating. I do have some balance and alignment issues I need to take care of but I think it might just be the axle then. Is it an axle or axle assembly? I was googling for parts on it. I will have a mechanic check it out first and look for the part, you have any idea how much labor runs on it??
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
MR 809

Official Member #: 81

Reputation Level: 19
Kenji will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

You should check your wheel bearings too
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Official Member #: 551

BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

not sure if it's the same thing but my interior shakes...mostly on the whole passenger side aka door panels, arm rest etc. could it be the same problem? what should i do to fix it? annoys me a lot when im driving on the highway
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by BkzNism06 View Post
not sure if it's the same thing but my interior shakes...mostly on the whole passenger side aka door panels, arm rest etc. could it be the same problem? what should i do to fix it? annoys me a lot when im driving on the highway
Check your tires, rub your hand around and feel if they are smooth....Have your wheels re-balanced. Its not expensive, but shop around for pricing.
Hint:
When you pick a shop upon arrival ask the manager/service advisor once they are done to tell you how much your balance was out....this makes the tech think that you care/are picky and will pay extra attention to the job he is doing....wink wink..
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #15

Official Member #: 551

BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Danski6MT View Post
Check your tires, rub your hand around and feel if they are smooth....Have your wheels re-balanced. Its not expensive, but shop around for pricing.
Hint:
When you pick a shop upon arrival ask the manager/service advisor once they are done to tell you how much your balance was out....this makes the tech think that you care/are picky and will pay extra attention to the job he is doing....wink wink..
this was mostly before but since then, i've had my front tires changed. haven't been paying attention to it so not sure if it still does it but if it does, ill be sure to refer to this. thanks a lot!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Okay well I'm gonna check out the axles like Raz said. Also I know that I have bad inner tie rods which is the next thing I'm doing, replacing both inner and outer. I noticed they were bad when I would turn slowly and I would hear some popping noise, I replaced the struts and strut mounts because of that noise. Also I don't really understand what cupping of the tire means but one of my front tires has some uneven tread worn issues on the outer edge. I also have to balance and get an alignment soon. I'm re doing the struts to Monroe oes spectrums and putting teins all around because I can't stand how our cars sag in the back. I hope after alignment and balancing after doing the suspension work that this vibration goes away, but with my luck, it will probably adhere. Thanks for the advice guys.

Ummmm...You have tie rod end play, you need tire balance, you replaced your major front end components and you know you need alignment and dont know why your tires are wearing out improperly. but you are asking why you have shaking???
Let me retype/edit my first helpful post above

1. check/repair your inner tie rod ends
2. Balance your worn down tires.
4. check your ball joints/axles( no point aligning and doing the work again)
5. replace/rotate the front tires that are now messed due to bad aligment post Strut work.
6. Have an alignment done with good tires up front, because my feeling is once you have the vehicle aligned with your current front tires, it will still have "tire pull" and you will waste your money on alignment.

Hope this helps.
-=My Build Tread=-
RAZ76 (04-01-2012), Rez (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   Thread Starter #17
RezThread Starter

Sounds good, yea I was gonna rotate and balance and then get an alignment after I redo my suspension. I just never got around to getting an alignment because I hated the cheap front struts that got put in, made the ride so damn stiff so I knew I was gonna change them out again. I hope Monroe's work well. Also do you guys know the symptoms of a bad sway bar link/bushings? May replace those.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
Quicksilver

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by HawaiiMAX808 View Post
aftermarket wheels?? possibly you need hub centric rings. just another idea.
That would not cause that kind of vibration. You can barely feel a light vibration at 80+MPH when riding with no hubcentric rings.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

What hub rings do we need ?
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Official Member

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

ok guys I have the same prob in my car...I get the vibration in low speeds (15-35mph) while accelerating, as soon as I let go of the gas, the vibration goes away....my passenger axle inner boot was torn and I replace the boot...after that I'm getting this vibration...Could it be that the axle is not in place completely? Any ideas? I'm changing struts and endlinks in few days...I want to get some ideas that might help me get rid of this vibration.
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top