Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15617

Reputation Level: 0
djunified is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Vibration during acceleration only

Hello all,

I've had my '04 Maxima for about a month now, and will hit 236K km's very soon. Purchased it with 230k on the clock so put about 6k on it already! The car has been very good so far with a minor problem that is irritating me. No matter when i accelerate, i get a heavy vibration. I can feel this vibration going up through the gears from a standstill on WOT, and even when cruising on the highway in 6th gear and just barely touching the throttle to change lanes. At higher speeds, the vibration feels more like a thumping, almost like you were driving over uneven pavement. Only during acceleration is the vibration felt. Even barely touching the throttle will cause the vibration to happen. It even does it on cruise control as it tries to climb a hill. Vibration will go away once throttle is released fully.

I was doing some experimenting today and it seems that this vibration will go away if im turning left while accelerating. I tested both left and right directions on some on and off ramps. My conclusion came to be that going left around a corner while giving throttle makes the vibration disappear, but going right around a corner makes no difference. So in the end, i only made the vibration disappear by turning left. Go straight or right and it vibrates like an earthquake.

With 236K on the clock, there's no question that components on the car are worn out. I purchased the car from the original owner who had most of the paperwork. I never found and invoices for replacement of major suspension components.

Some mention that the axles could be worn out, others say alignment issue, and others say tire balancing. The list goes on and on, but being a student, I cant afford to be throwing money at repairs/procedures that won't fix the problem. I've already had a tire balance done which did absolutely nothing. My next approach is a wheel alignment which i can get done for $50 locally as they have a September promotion going on.

Please Nissan experts, shed some insight!
Thanks again
djunified is offline   Send a private message to djunified Find more posts by djunified Add djunified to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Vibration during acceleration only

At the mileage on your car, you're probably in dire need of some suspension parts.

Get your alignment done so you minimize the damage to your tires. Since you're a new owner of the car, this is a good precaution if you cannot validate that an alignment has been done in the lats two years.

Now, your vibration could come from any number of things:

-tire ( is going be pitted due to alignment issues/suspension issues or have a bead coming apart)
-tie-rods (these could be worn out)
-ball joint (these could be worn out)
-axle (that could have been warped by an impact or hard starting/stopping)
-end-links (those could be worn out)
-rim (could be bent)
-bearing (could be worn out)

Lots of stuff to look at. If you can't do it yourself, then take it to a mechanic you trust to look for the issue(s).
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

But if I were you, I would look first at your driver's side front hub and bearing. Since driving straight and making left hand turns are good, i.e., no vibration, and turning right does, this generally indicates issues with driver (left) front hub bearing.
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

Official Member #: 15559

SrRuiz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Terrentius View Post
But if I were you, I would look first at your driver's side front hub and bearing. Since driving straight and making left hand turns are good, i.e., no vibration, and turning right does, this generally indicates issues with driver (left) front hub bearing.
Just happened that to my car two months ago, and it was the part that connects the cv joint to the transmission, the trans is the 5 spd AT.

Hope this helps.
SrRuiz is offline   Send a private message to SrRuiz Find more posts by SrRuiz Add SrRuiz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 AM   Thread Starter #5

Official Member #: 15617

djunified is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses as they were helpful to me and my mechanic when diagnosing the problem. Turns out it was both axles. While idling in 3rd gear on the hoist, my mechanic put a prybar on both axles and found them to be vibrating quite a bit.

After replacement of both of them, acceleration is now smooth as butter! According to him, he thinks that the vq35 paired with the hlsd has a bit too much kick for the axles tastes haha!

He even performed an alignment for me so I now have records that everything is good.

Only a slight vibration still exists but that is due to a bent rim on the rear. Nothing I can do about that unless its replaced.
djunified is offline   Send a private message to djunified Find more posts by djunified Add djunified to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Thanks for the info.. I'm going to change out my cv axles and lower control arms soon.. Hopefully this will help my vibration issue..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top