Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3833

Reputation Level: 14
Wil~Bones will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Vertical Doors

So recently i had just purchased a vertical door kit for my 04 maxima. After installing this kit to my friends Grand Prix i realized that i might run into some problems. my friends fender did not need any modifacation at all, but seeing that my inner fender is closed, im guessing i have alot of cutting to do.
i just really need to know what i need to cut and what the fender would look like after its installed so i know what to expect. any info would be nice, thanks guys and gals.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Inland Empire's Official 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 2294

Reputation Level: 11
Slightly Stoopid is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Vertical Doors

Is it universal? if so good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 9
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as i knew when i was researching it before there shouldnt be any cutting. @mrjasonlyrics has them installed though, he should know
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

You shouldn't be doing that kind of work if you have no experience in body work, especially custom body work.

Installing vertical door kits needs alignment, regular maintenance, wire extensions, etc. I would shop around to see how much shops cost to install them.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
You shouldn't be doing that kind of work if you have no experience in body work, especially custom body work.

Installing vertical door kits needs alignment, regular maintenance, wire extensions, etc. I would shop around to see how much shops cost to install them.
Ive been a colision tech, for 6 yrs, went to UTI, ASE cert.
Ive also done custom work before and while i was doing my buddies door, i got to play around with it and learned much about how it works,. Even though each kit from Verticle doors are made custom for that specific vehicle, im sure i , can do it. Also the place around here that would put them on wants 1500 for labor, and i just laughed at them lol
Wil~Bones is offline   Send a private message to Wil~Bones Find more posts by Wil~Bones Add Wil~Bones to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Where did you buy the kit from? I know there's one that does not need hardcore modification.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wil~Bones View Post
Ive also done custom work before and while i was doing my buddies door, i got to play around with it and learned much about how it works,. Even though each kit from Verticle doors are made custom for that specific vehicle, im sure i , can do it. Also the place around here that would put them on wants 1500 for labor, and i just laughed at them lol
If that's the case, then you're good to go. A friend of mine has a kit installed on his lexus LS430, but he had it welded on. He still needs to have it maintained from time to time, but it won't get loose easily.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
If that's the case, then you're good to go. A friend of mine has a kit installed on his lexus LS430, but he had it welded on. He still needs to have it maintained from time to time, but it won't get loose easily.
I bought it from vertical doors inc. Out in corona CA
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

I would not recommend you do this if you have ZERO experience , or have proper tools

we are a vertical door installers , and I must say some of the other universal kits sucks,

what we do is weld on the washers to the bolt so that the door doesn't come off align or damage the fenders, sometimes you need to trim the inner side of the fender.

we normally charge 900 for install only , so thats something you need to think about.

paying for someone to install them

or doing yourself and costing more damage , its a two man job
EddyMaxx (04-16-2012)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

If you're such an expert and ASE certified, why did you get quotes for the job??? Giving you a hard time.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

Originally Posted by RAZ76 View Post

If you're such an expert and ASE certified, why did you get quotes for the job??? Giving you a hard time.
Because i wanted to see what they charge and also i dont have the proper tools for it, but luckly i found out they have a hobby shop on base with techs, and they have a lift welding machine, paint booth and oven evrything for 5 bucks an hour.. might hit that up lol
Wil~Bones is offline   Send a private message to Wil~Bones Find more posts by Wil~Bones Add Wil~Bones to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Good luck with your project.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM   Thread Starter #13
Official Member

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
I would not recommend you do this if you have ZERO experience , or have proper tools

we are a vertical door installers , and I must say some of the other universal kits sucks,

what we do is weld on the washers to the bolt so that the door doesn't come off align or damage the fenders, sometimes you need to trim the inner side of the fender.

we normally charge 900 for install only , so thats something you need to think about.

paying for someone to install them

or doing yourself and costing more damage , its a two man job
i hear you brother, i mean i helped insatlled my buddys kit and it really is a two man job, and i learned alot about the kit, and also its really just a learning experiance for me, i mean all vetical kit installers learned some how, so im willing to save the extra money by doing it myself and learning for myself. And if it damages or gets fucked up, its a lesson learned.lol plus i dont trust this shop that does it here, they half ass everthing and charge 1500, its the only one i found in a 200 mile radius. But i have plenty of experiance with body work/welding. My only concern is when i was told from a member who has this kit, that its hard for females to close the door. I believe him because my buddys kit from vertical doors inc came with a 720 pound gas piston, and holy shit it is a work out to pull the the door down, and from my research thay all come with that gas piston. I would think they would come with a easier one since each kit is made specifically for that vehicle you purchase it for
Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Craft shop on Fort Knox was my spot! The whole crew used to rent out like six bays and do work all day for like $50. That would be a good place to start. If the kit was made for the car you should have much to do but definitely consider some of the advice about welding. We did a friends civic and it was terrible but he also got a garbage kit that was universal. Take pics as before you start and mock up the kit to show the differences. Maybe we can help further from that?
Wil~Bones (04-16-2012)
Latinmaxima is offline   Send a private message to Latinmaxima Find more posts by Latinmaxima Add Latinmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Premier Member

NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

i hear you brother, i mean i helped insatlled my buddys kit and it really is a two man job, and i learned alot about the kit, and also its really just a learning experiance for me, i mean all vetical kit installers learned some how, so im willing to save the extra money by doing it myself and learning for myself. And if it damages or gets fucked up, its a lesson learned.lol plus i dont trust this shop that does it here, they half ass everthing and charge 1500, its the only one i found in a 200 mile radius. But i have plenty of experiance with body work/welding. My only concern is when i was told from a member who has this kit, that its hard for females to close the door. I believe him because my buddys kit from vertical doors inc came with a 720 pound gas piston, and holy shit it is a work out to pull the the door down, and from my research thay all come with that gas piston. I would think they would come with a easier one since each kit is made specifically for that vehicle you purchase it for
here is a TIP , before you take the door hinge off ,

get masking tape, take the door to the body , its a secret we use , make sure to use it to hold the door in place , then take the fenders off , this way the door does not drop and its still align almost factory , then install the parts and make sure it clear the fenders , the two man job is really when the shocks go in and you need someone to pull it down while the other person is adjusting it.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
here is a TIP , before you take the door hinge off ,

get masking tape, take the door to the body , its a secret we use , make sure to use it to hold the door in place , then take the fenders off , this way the door does not drop and its still align almost factory , then install the parts and make sure it clear the fenders , the two man job is really when the shocks go in and you need someone to pull it down while the other person is adjusting it.
thanks man, yeah we figured that out when we installed the doors on the grand prix, another question i had was why do the shocks come with suck a high pressure, its almost impossible to pull the damn doors down,
also my buddy has them in his corvette, and he installed the shocks upside doen and for some reason it closes the door for him when he pulls it down, pretty cool.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
1st Place Maxima

Official Member #: 77

Reputation Level: 27
chulo will become famous soon enoughchulo will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

i had lambos on the car for like 3-4 years, took them off. pain in the butt
i did some cutting on my fender
played with the wiring

we charge 1500-2000 depending on the kit
bolt on? welded on? cheap kit? expensive kit?

we do them all the time
each car/install is different each time
just got to know the tweaks

if i can just add, lambo doors are played out and one of the worst things you can do to a car.

i'm back to regular doors
chulo is offline   Send a private message to chulo Find more posts by chulo Add chulo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Official Member

Originally Posted by chulo View Post

i had lambos on the car for like 3-4 years, took them off. pain in the butt
i did some cutting on my fender
played with the wiring

we charge 1500-2000 depending on the kit
bolt on? welded on? cheap kit? expensive kit?

we do them all the time
each car/install is different each time
just got to know the tweaks

if i can just add, lambo doors are played out and one of the worst things you can do to a car.

i'm back to regular doors
I agree about them being played out. Maybe go with something like suicide doors instead?
Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 (04-29-2012), Latinmaxima (04-25-2012)
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 30
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
I agree about them being played out. Maybe go with something like suicide doors instead?
Good luck with that!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Premier Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

thanks man, yeah we figured that out when we installed the doors on the grand prix, another question i had was why do the shocks come with suck a high pressure, its almost impossible to pull the damn doors down,
also my buddy has them in his corvette, and he installed the shocks upside doen and for some reason it closes the door for him when he pulls it down, pretty cool.
here is another trick , stick the struts in a freezer for an hour ..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   Thread Starter #21
Official Member

what does that do, also what other hints can you tell me?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post

Originally Posted by BOOTZ View Post
Good luck with that!

Why? I thought that car looks pretty good in the pic. Suicide hard to do?

Wil, where you been man. Any updates on your doors?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
MR 809

Official Member #: 81

Reputation Level: 19
Kenji will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Yes you will have to cut the fenders, I didn't have to extend my wires, just take them of the plastic casing and wrap them in electrical tape, but if I was you I wouldn't do it, i took mines off like 2 years ago
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
Official Member

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post

I would assume difficult, at least to finish it 100%. In this car it looks like they shaved the handles and relocated them to the other side of the door. That alone would probably be a ton of work, but worth it for the finished product imo.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 30
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Apollos2 View Post

I've never done anything like that. But I would imagine completely changing the side of hinges and latches would be waaaay more work trying to line everything up