Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 10955

Reputation Level: 0
Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default This Thing Just Won't Come Out

Well I'm in the process of putting my engine back together to (hopefully) drop back in to the Maxima soon. My latest problem is the coolant inlet/outlet to the LH Cylinder head. Upon test fitting the bolts for the hose mount, I went ahead and tightened it until it snapped the head right off its little shaft. Hindsight is 20/20 and I can't do anything about it now, except try to get it out.

To make matters worse, I tried using a stupid screw extractor which went ahead and imitated the bolt itself, and decided to snap, leaving the hallow filled with marked steel. I have tried almost every trick under the sun from cobalt drill bits to bits in the dremel. Not too sure what to do at this point, and I don't usually post on the internet for advice, so yea.. any pointers and appreciated at this point. Thanks.

edit- Would it be possible to permanently mount the bracket on to the engine? I don't want to suggest this, but what about Rapid Fix (cyanocrylate ester) ? A guy at the parts distributor down the street told me they fix engine blocks with it. If anything, I could tighten the top bolt, and adhere all around the bottom. Then maybe, seal it with rtv like caulking? Just food for thought..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130724_131832.jpg (92.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Brandon1023; 07-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: This Thing Just Won't Come Out

It's NEVER good idea to make something permanent on your car, in this case what I would do is take a traditional drill bit (what you would use before mounting screws) make sure it's not a flimsy one and use a nicely powered drill gun and drill the center of the broken head til the drill bit starts going inside of it. What this does is when there's a hole in the center it takes off all the pressure the bolt is applying to the thread and drops all the little pieces down. I had to do this with a broken head on my 350z strut bar. So if I could break the strut bar bolt you damn sure can break this head off. Good luck

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 PM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 10955

Brandon1023 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well, the thing is, the head broke off, leaving the shaft inside the hole, and now, there's a still a piece of the extractor bit in the screw shaft, making it nearly impossible to drill through. Perhaps I could tap some threads next to the busted hole and put a new bolt there?
Brandon1023 is offline   Send a private message to Brandon1023 Find more posts by Brandon1023 Add Brandon1023 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #4

Official Member #: 822

callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

I had the same problem with the water neck on my chevy 350. Bold broke off, and it just would not come out. We tried everything under the sun, and no amount of cranking on the screw extractor would get it to budge. We didn't break the extractor, but came close.

What we eventually had to do was drill the hole out completely and re-tap it to a slightly larger bolt size. It sucks, but it worked.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top