Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2949

Reputation Level: 10
MikesMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Are These True: Maxima Myths

Okay, so I've gotten a lot of flak from family members and friends for wanting to mod the max. " oh it's just a maxima why waste your time it's a Nissan, etc etc".

So apparently the head BOCES mechanic had some input to give when I told him of mods, and Uriel mods. So my6, help me out:

MYTH #1: installing a CAI actually decreases performance due to sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

MYTH #2: Adding a rear and a front strut bar eliminates body roll and is not good for the car; could cause a fishtail or stiffer turns and decrease performance.

MYTH #3: If you install the K and N replacement lifetime filter; you're not going to get any better performance vs. CAI. His argument is that the stock air box forces air into the filter and "Nissan paid millions of dollars in engineering why change what's correct yada yada"

Help!
MikesMax is offline   Send a private message to MikesMax Find more posts by MikesMax Add MikesMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube
Default Re: Are These True: Maxima Myths

Originally Posted by MikesMax View Post
Okay, so I've gotten a lot of flak from family members and friends for wanting to mod the max. " oh it's just a maxima why waste your time it's a Nissan, etc etc".

So apparently the head BOCES mechanic had some input to give when I told him of mods, and Uriel mods. So my6, help me out:

MYTH #1: installing a CAI actually decreases performance due to sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

MYTH #2: Adding a rear and a front strut bar eliminates body roll and is not good for the car; could cause a fishtail or stiffer turns and decrease performance.

MYTH #3: If you install the K and N replacement lifetime filter; you're not going to get any better performance vs. CAI. His argument is that the stock air box forces air into the filter and "Nissan paid millions of dollars in engineering why change what's correct yada yada"

Help!
#1 - Wrong. increases power. cold air intakes suck in cooler less dense air, creating more power.

#2 - it does eliminate body roll, but that HELPS suspension and keeps you gripping the road.

#3 - wrong. CAI's force in MORE air, increasing volume. that also tells the engine to spit more fuel giving you more power due to the air/fuel ratio.
Apollos2 (03-22-2012), ESTEP_33 (03-23-2012), Kontra-vers-E (03-22-2012), Latinmaxima (03-22-2012), nixmax924 (03-22-2012)
Nismo4Life07 is offline   Send a private message to Nismo4Life07 Find more posts by Nismo4Life07 Add Nismo4Life07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

#1 could be true if its setup as a short ram. I have a Fujita set up as a SR and with my CVT I did notice a little loss to the low end compared to stock.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by MikesMax View Post

CAI's you lose a little LOW-END but gain TOP-END. It may feel slower because you are soo used to that quick low-end. I prefer a CAI. So it's not like a TRUE LOSS. It's more of a "THIS FOR THAT" deal. Check the dyno sheets on CAI's around the forum.

This is absolutely DUMB! All I can say on that. Maybe another member will go into detail.

Do you think K&N would still be business if this were true?

Help!
Comments.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Apollos2 (03-22-2012), ESTEP_33 (03-23-2012)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   Thread Starter #5

Official Member #: 2949

MikesMax is an unknown quantity at this point

@Nismo4Life07 I totally agree man, but when I say that to him he just disregards what I say claiming that a CAI's proximity to the engine bay makes it suck in the hot air. And I'm also with you on the strut, as I have this installed as well. Maybe he's finicky and likes things stock but he was adamant about this stock Nissan air box "forcing air" and being just as high performance as a CAI
EddyMaxx (03-22-2012)
MikesMax is offline   Send a private message to MikesMax Find more posts by MikesMax Add MikesMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 141

Reputation Level: 17
PhantomMax is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

#1 don't discuss what you want to do to your Maxima with them. Modification is a hobby and is not for everyone. Doesn't mean its the ultimate car but personalized just for you. A few performance mods can easily keep your car up to speed with some newer cars with more HP.

Last edited by PhantomMax; 03-22-2012 at 02:49 PM.
EddyMaxx (03-22-2012), Kontra-vers-E (03-22-2012), Latinmaxima (03-22-2012), MikesMax (03-22-2012), S.V (03-22-2012)
PhantomMax is offline   Send a private message to PhantomMax Find more posts by PhantomMax Add PhantomMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Nismo4Life07 View Post

#1 - Wrong. increases power. cold air intakes suck in cooler less dense air, creating more power.

#2 - it does eliminate body roll, but that HELPS suspension and keeps you gripping the road.

#3 - wrong. CAI's force in MORE air, increasing volume. that also tells the engine to spit more fuel giving you more power due to the air/fuel ratio.
Agreed.

In addition, it is cooler air, and cooler air is more dense, which translates to a more powerful combustion, etc. The real discussion is HOW MUCH increase you'll get.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Canoman (07-05-2012)
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 2527

Reputation Level: 12
08maxinaz is on a distinguished road

Visit 08maxinaz's PS3 Profile Visit 08maxinaz's Twitter Visit 08maxinaz's Xbox Gamercard

When it comes to the Cold Air Intake, that is categorically false. A Cold Air Intake is drawing air from the wheel well and bumper almost completely separated from the engine by sub frame and frame. Also it eliminates like 90% of the air track by eliminating the the resonator which kills any intake sounds. Yes Nissan "spent millions" developing the engine but they did it for the common masses, by developing the intake on a stock vehicle to be both efficient AND QUIET.

#2 The rear anti-roll bar being stiffened dials out the understeer in the car by stiffening the rear. It makes it more balanced and predictable, again Understeer is "safe" and Nissan... hell almost all manufacturers dial understeer into the stock suspension setup because it's easier for the common hamfisted driver to get out of understeer than oversteer. It doesn't cause you to fish tail anymore than a stock suspension setup unless you stiffen the springs and shocks to match, but from what I've researched no one makes a suspension kit that stiff for our cars.

#3 see above #1 Also K&N has been categorically proven to increase power just by using a drop in filter, because their filter designs are more efficient than your average FRAM $15 drop in you get at pep boys...
1hawaii50 (03-23-2012)
08maxinaz is offline   Send a private message to 08maxinaz Find more posts by 08maxinaz Add 08maxinaz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Your mechanic sounds like a friend of mine and we JUST had this conversation this weekend. He believes that the car was designed and developed the best way by the manufactures, but if that was the case, why do a majority of cars have different trims.

The SE has a sportier suspension and the SL has a looser suspension. BMW has your regular 3 series and then it has a M series, and guess what changes the power, mods. Well they're not called that because the "manufactures" made them that way, it's only called modding when the consumer changes anything on the car.

Besides, who cares what he thinks, it your car, your money, and your happiness. Mod the car your liking.

Greatness in the making...
08maxinaz (03-22-2012), 1hawaii50 (03-23-2012), Canoman (07-05-2012), Latinmaxima (03-22-2012)
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 2527

08maxinaz is on a distinguished road

Visit 08maxinaz's PS3 Profile Visit 08maxinaz's Twitter Visit 08maxinaz's Xbox Gamercard

^^^^^ This
08maxinaz is offline   Send a private message to 08maxinaz Find more posts by 08maxinaz Add 08maxinaz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Survey says....Do what makes you happy! Your car. All answers have pretty much been given.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
S.V
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2397

S.V is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:

Find a new mechanic brah. Lmao.

S.V
S.V is offline   Send a private message to S.V Find more posts by S.V Add S.V to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #13

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Remember mechanics are regular people just like you. They can't possibly know the in's and out's of every single car. This is why we have forums dedicated in that aspect. They just go by there experiences which may not be applicable to our cars.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Remember mechanics are regular people just like you. They can't possibly know the in's and out's of every single car. This is why we have forums dedicated in that aspect. They just go by there experiences which may not be applicable to our cars.
This is true. Ive had people at tire shops tell me 20's wont fit on a Maxima. In their experience maybe not...

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Poetic Max

Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post

This is true. Ive had people at tire shops tell me 20's wont fit on a Maxima. In their experience maybe not...
I hope you don't go there to get anything done to your wheels & tires.

Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post

I hope you don't go there to get anything done to your wheels & tires.
No I do not...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 30
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Honorable Ride  

Stock air box doesn't go RAAAAR!!

Nuff said.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Official Member

Official Member #: 556

Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

Technically the front air dam forces air in at high speed.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 34
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
Technically the front air dam forces air in at high speed.
But the CAI still pulls harder at highway speeds. ( I actually think it's more useful at launch)

@ Nismo4Life07 You said it!

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Official Member

Official Member #: 2459

Lulzz is on a distinguished road

Your post made me (my screen name)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
Poetic Max

^^^^^^