Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 39

Reputation Level: 10
chromey is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Starting Problem?

I have this problem that started recently, it only happens on a cold start first thing in the morning.

Its a brand new battery, 2 weeks old, my previous battery crapped out after 2 years and it was replaced for free under warranty. It was a Duralast Gold from Autozone, (3 year free replacement, 8 year pro rated)

I've gotten the battery checked, starter checked, and alternator checked and everything is ok.

Not sure what this problem is, sometimes it seemed like the battery was weak because it looked/felt like the car was using every ounce of juice to start the car. Other times it just feels like the car is sort of struggling to start, its almost impossible to replicate the problem because once you start it up, its fine for the rest of the day, unless the car sits for several hours (6 or 7 hours).

It sometimes sounds like the car is not getting enough fuel maybe? I dont know, but I've attached a little video clip, you might have to turn your speakers all the way up. What do you guys think?

View My Video

By the way, my exhaust sounds sexy in the video but its stock lol
chromey is offline   Send a private message to chromey Find more posts by chromey Add chromey to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #2

Official Member #: 5202

Reputation Level: 8
Safiloo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Starting problem?

No warning lights on the dash? The video dont help at all, I heared just fine.
Safiloo1 is offline   Send a private message to Safiloo1 Find more posts by Safiloo1 Add Safiloo1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile
Default Re: Starting Problem?

Is your car a lil sluggish when you get down on the gas and does it sputter. If is does that, you need your fuel injectors cleaned. Have you checked to make sure you have a tight and clean connection to your battery?

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
M Towns Finest

Official Member #: 5140

Reputation Level: 22
chris72983 will become famous soon enoughchris72983 will become famous soon enough

@chromey
I had a problem similar to this on a previous car. When the gas tank was anything but full and the car sat for an extended period gas would run from in the lines back to the tank (car would loose its prime) and the electric fuel pump was only strong enough to get it pushed back to the motor after it had ran for an extended period. Problem was the fuel pump only ran while you were spinning the motor over and then would run all the time once started. So this meant sometimes you would have to keep cranking for extended periods to get it back primed. Once it started you were fine. In the end I replaced the fuel pump and the problem was solved. Hope this helps, maybe gives you somewhere to start atleast.
chris72983 is offline   Send a private message to chris72983 Find more posts by chris72983 Add chris72983 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

thanks for the help guys, sorry I've been MIA for a while.

No warning lights, no sputtering :/

I guess it is the fuel pump then.
chromey is offline   Send a private message to chromey Find more posts by chromey Add chromey to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #6

Official Member #: 6077

Reputation Level: 0
Seven9 is an unknown quantity at this point

did you fix the problem chromey? im having the same problem with my 05 maxima
Seven9 is offline   Send a private message to Seven9 Find more posts by Seven9 Add Seven9 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Official Member #: 1238

Reputation Level: 12
Mnav08max is on a distinguished road

@chromey did you fix the problem? I've actually had similiar issue on my 08 max. It seems to only be when its a cold start or like you said has been sitting for 7-8 hours and is also only when I have less than a Full tank of gasoline.
It also could be lower than normal oil level or something like that I believe. I had a problem with the oil leaking a little in my old 98 max and would do the same thing on start up.

Let us know what route you went and how if it helped/fixed the problemo???
Mnav08max is offline   Send a private message to Mnav08max Find more posts by Mnav08max Add Mnav08max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 AM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

No, I haven't gotten it fixed. Its strange, sometimes its their and the other times its fine. I am hearing engine noise when I start rolling, it sounds like the oil isn't reaching the top on time, I've been letting the car warm up for a few minutes. Maybe I should switch to a thinner oil, I dunno. I've been using 10w30.

Haven't really paid attention to the gas gauge being under 1/2 full, I will look out for that now.