Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:08 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18020

Reputation Level: 0
PinkyShaft is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default SLIP Light Blinking/Grinding Noise

My SLIP light started blinking on right turns or on curves and I am not able to accelerate & the RPM's bounce up & down (between 1-3). Once I straighten out the wheel it goes away. A few days later it started grinding as well when I would turn left. I had my mechanic look into it, he never heard of that, the SLIP light blinking, but he figured the grinding was brakes. He replaced my brakes said one of my bearings was broken so he fixed that. I picked up my car, drove fine on the street roads, once I got off the freeway when I braked, the car was shaking really bad & it made a popping noise when I braked. The popping noise went away and the SLIP light came back on as well as the grinding along with a really loud (new sound) vibration/bouncing type of sound from the front wheels.
Took the car back to mechanic, he took it apart, said it was missing a washer, drove it for a few days and the problem is back again.
Any idea what this is?? I can't keep driving it like this, I don't want to make it worse & I can't keep guessing because my funds are quite limited (like many people). Please, please can someone help.
Thank you.
PinkyShaft is offline   Send a private message to PinkyShaft Find more posts by PinkyShaft Add PinkyShaft to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Official Member #: 6540

Reputation Level: 8
incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: SLIP Light Blinking/Grinding Noise

Hello,

Issue 1. Were both brake pads and rotors replaced?

Issue 2. Does the grinding come from the front right side? Does the brake peddles vibrate or pulse at low speed braking? Is the VDC off lught also on? Is there a grinding vibrating sound from engine bay when you start the car?

Tapping the screen to talk.....
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   Thread Starter #3

No, both brake pads & rotors where not replaced. Should they have been?

The grinding seems to be coming from the left side.
Yes, the brake peddle seems to be vibrating when braking from slow speed.
No other lights turn on, the SLIP light only blinks when I turn slight right on a curve or gently make a right turn.
No grinding/vibrating from engine bay (as far as I can tell) when car starts.
PinkyShaft is offline   Send a private message to PinkyShaft Find more posts by PinkyShaft Add PinkyShaft to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by incubus0111 View Post
Hello,

Issue 2. Does the grinding come from the front right side? Does the brake peddles vibrate or pulse at low speed braking? Is the VDC off lught also on? Is there a grinding vibrating sound from engine bay when you start the car?

No other lights turn on, the SLIP light only blinks when I turn slight right on a curve or gently make a right turn.

Read more: SLIP Light Blinking/Grinding Noise
Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 PM   Thread Starter #5

Hello,

Read more: SLIP Light Blinking/Grinding Noise
Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

Official Member #: 6540

Reputation Level: 8
incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PinkyShaft View Post
Yes. The old pads would have made groves in the rotor. That can cause all kind of issues when braking; pulling to one side, vibrations, noise ect.

Originally Posted by PinkyShaft View Post

I was ready to say that it was the infamous ABS sensor. It still could be.
Get you brakes taken care of. (DIY)

Did your guy check all the wheel bearings? If one was bad more than likely the rest are.

how fast are you going on those corners when the slip light comes on (lol) do you have good tires?
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like ABS is engaging. The only time that usually happens is when one or two wheels and at different speeds, like wheel lock up or spinning faster (breaking loose) I'm sure the mechanic would've checked if tires were ok. Could be ABS sensor...but without a ABS light, it's hard to determine. But if it doesn't happen all the time, it can't be brakes. What are the exact conditions or what other scenarios has it happened before?
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2016, 02:17 PM   Thread Starter #8

Yes. The old pads would have made groves in the rotor. That can cause all kind of issues when braking; pulling to one side, vibrations, noise ect.

I was ready to say that it was the infamous ABS sensor. It still could be.
Get you brakes taken care of. (DIY)

Did your guy check all the wheel bearings? If one was bad more than likely the rest are.

how fast are you going on those corners when the slip light comes on (lol) do you have good tires?
I purchased new tires last Feb/Mar 2015, so not old, they are Michelin (got them at Costco). But I have not had them balanced and rotated.
I think the sound is coming from the rotors as it was not making that sound prior to the brakes being changed.
The corners I take slow so it only engages when I turn slight right or a curve. I never noticed how many curving roads we have in our town since this started occurring, LOL.
It might be the ABS sensor as well, but the SLIP light has not come back on, yet. So I'll watch for that.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #9
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

I would start by having the tires balanced & rotated , can t be bad here.Then we ll see what s happening.
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top