Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6292

Reputation Level: 0
ken_du is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Power Folding Mirror Not Folding

I don't know if anyone has had the same issue, I've searched but couldn't find anything. My drivers side mirror on my 06 Maxima SL won't fold in any more. I can still adjust mirror and in tilts automatically when in reverse. Can it be fixed or do I have to replace the whole mirror?
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
ken_du is offline   Send a private message to ken_du Find more posts by ken_du Add ken_du to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Power Folding Mirror Not Folding

Before replacing the mirror, try switching (take off passenger side and plug into driver side) mirrors to see if it would work or not. If it works, thn the mirror is the issue. If still not working, then it's a switch problem

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
Before replacing the mirror, try switching (take off passenger side and plug into driver side) mirrors to see if it would work or not. If it works, thn the mirror is the issue. If still not working, then it's a switch problem
Thanks for your answer. Is it possible for the switch to work only for one side? The right side folds in just fine when I hit the switch.
ken_du is offline   Send a private message to ken_du Find more posts by ken_du Add ken_du to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
I Am Just A Man

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

It could.. Nowadays, the electronic glitches can do weird things. Doesn't hurt to try. Most likely it's the mirror wiring that's gone bad, but test them anyway

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by ken_du View Post
Thanks for your answer. Is it possible for the switch to work only for one side? The right side folds in just fine when I hit the switch.

The switch is only controlling the motors. Each mirror has its own motor.

Have you tried folding the mirror in by hand when the switch is activated? (gently, not using enough force to break anything, this will require two people.) This may let you know if the motor to the mirror is functional. If you can fold the mirror in, then check to see if it will open using the switch. If the motor is functional then you will know it is either the wiring or the switch. Sometimes a reversible motor can go bad working in only one direction.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 AM   Thread Starter #6

I think the motor is gone. The Mirror wont fold when I hit the switch, and I hear the passenger side motor but the drivers side doesn't make a sound. Can just the motor be replaced?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
I Am Just A Man

Originally Posted by ken_du View Post
I think the motor is gone. The Mirror wont fold when I hit the switch, and I hear the passenger side motor but the drivers side doesn't make a sound. Can just the motor be replaced?
No, have to replace the whole mirror.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 7
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably can just replace the motor but might have to splice the connector wire to be able to take out the motor or individually remove the pins from the connector to be able to remove motor from housing. I know about this because I tried to do it with and swap just the housing on my driver side mirror to avoid painting the new one. But I said screw it and just got the new one painted.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   Thread Starter #9

thanks was considering trying to swap the just the motor but on the other hand it seems simpler to just get the new one painted!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM   Thread Starter #10

Did you get a used one or a new after market one and where did you get it?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 5770

Reputation Level: 7
Simplyred06 is an unknown quantity at this point

The mirror I purchased was new and it cost me about 290.00. Bought from nissan due to the fact I my mirror has the autodim feature plus fold away. I am pretty sure you can find it cheaper than what I just paid for mine.
Simplyred06 is offline   Send a private message to Simplyred06 Find more posts by Simplyred06 Add Simplyred06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top