Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Possible CVT, Or Engine Troubles?

Today, I went to run up to the post office, and once I got up to around 40-45mph, the car felt like it just didn't want to go any more. I stepped harder on the accelerator, and the rpms jumped up/trans "shifted" (I know CVT's don't actually shift), and the car accelerated. While cruising with the engine RPM's around 2000-2500rpm, the rpm would jump up about 500rpm as if the trans was downshifting...the car would again feel like it wasn't able to accelerate. Once the engine came up to temp, it drove as normal.

Later, I drove over to our high school basketball game, and after I left the game to drive home, the car started doing the same thing again. I was able to hit 60mph (I was on the highway), and suddenly, the car just didn't want to go any faster...like something was holding it back. I stepped harder on the accelerator, the rpms jumped up (trans downshifted), and the car accelerated...this happened on/off on my whole 1 hour trip home, even after the car was warmed up. It almost felt like the trans was slipping, although the RPM did not free rev when it happened...they were holding. I had my cruise set, RPM was at 2300rpm, on a flat stretch of roadway...suddenly RPM's jumped up to 2800rpm and the car felt like it was struggling to accelerate/maintain speed. After a few moments the rpm would drop back down to 2300rpm and all would be well again...

I did notice an off smell both times that it happened, when the car was cold. It didn't smell like sulfur, or rotten eggs...It was just a different smell...different enough that I noticed it, but it quickly went away...It wasn't strong enough, and didn't last long enough for me to describe it, but it was enough that I new it was not a "normal" smell.

I'll be calling the stealership Monday and hopefully they can get me in right away...just wondered if anybody has any thoughts...?

I'm almost thinking pre-cats.

I've only got 36500 miles on the car. I had a SES light pop on last week, showed lean bank 1 AND 2. I reset the light, and it hasn't come back. No other lights came on this afternoon while the car was acting up.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 02-25-2012 at 10:32 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Reputation Level: 9
Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Possible CVT, Or Engine Troubles?

Probably precats, it happened to my altima i took off the pipe after the headers and all the insides just fell off and i just gutted it and reved to get any left overs out lol

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Oh and the same symptoms you mentioned happened
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Right now it definitely sounds like your MAF Sensor. Those are the symptoms. A bad MAF will also usually throw out a code like P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1).

If indeed it did smell like "rotten" eggs then I would say your pre-cats. But this is not the case.

Has it rained recently? I know you have a cold-air intake installed.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

A bad MAF will fluctuate your RPMs as you mentioned.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Team Street Wandererz

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 16
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

I agree with Eddy, it sounds like a bad MAF sensor..
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 AM   Thread Starter #6
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Right now it definitely sounds like your MAF Sensor. Those are the symptoms. A bad MAF will also usually throw out a code like P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1).

If indeed it did smell like "rotten" eggs then I would say your pre-cats. But this is not the case.

Has it rained recently? I know you have a cold-air intake installed.
It was raining/snowing today, but not enough that any water would have pulled up into the intake...I have the NISMO anyway, with the water bypass. There was a different smell, but not rotten eggs...

A bad MAF will fluctuate your RPMs as you mentioned.
RPMS weren't really fluctuating...they would hold steady at 2300rpm with the cruise on, then the trans would drop down a gear and the rpm would bump up to 2800, due to the car not wanting to go...

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Whatever it is, they better cover it under the extended warranty that I paid all of this money for! I'm also going to have them fix the ABS issue while they have it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #7

Well make sure you revert to "stock" intake.

It just sounds like the MAF to me based on current symptoms and the code you got before.

I added the "rain" part just in case it got a little splash of water which can happen with many intakes. In your case probably not since you have the Nismo.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 AM   Thread Starter #8
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Well make sure you revert to "stock" intake.

It just sounds like the MAF to me based on current symptoms and the code you got before.

I added the "rain" part just in case it got a little splash of water which can happen with many intakes. In your case probably not since you have the Nismo.
I don't have my stock intake anymore. I have some MAF spray cleaner. I'll pull the MAF element tomorrow and cleanit off really well and see what happens.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 AM   Thread Starter #9
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Aaaaaannnnnddddddd, on my way to work this morning, the car would NOT rev over 2500rpm, and would NOT shift out of first gear. Every time I step on the brakes...the ABS kicks in...I think I know what the problem is...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #10

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

sorry to hear Don, keep us posted. how many miles on the car? i have 62k and knock on wood dont have these issues.

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM   Thread Starter #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
sorry to hear Don, keep us posted. how many miles on the car? i have 62k and knock on wood dont have these issues.
36.5K miles. The ABS has been acting up for a couple of months...intermittently activating. Nissan tried to rape me for over $300 to "clean" the rear hubs and perform the existing TSB procedure. They refused to do it under warranty, stating that it is a maintenance issue...I'm sure everyone cleans their rear hubs as a matter of routine maintenance. Anyways, I performed the TSB myself...replaced one hub and cleaned the other...wiped down both rear ABS sensors, and ground the "drain channel" into the hub. The ABS problem never went away, now it looks like the pump/module is shot. I've got the Wilwood front kit, so I'm sure that they are going to give me a hassle in regards to my warranty.

I should know something sometime tomorrow. I'm going to have it towed to the dealership today.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #12

My Awards:

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
36.5K miles. The ABS has been acting up for a couple of months...intermittently activating. Nissan tried to rape me for over $300 to "clean" the rear hubs and perform the existing TSB procedure. They refused to do it under warranty, stating that it is a maintenance issue...I'm sure everyone cleans their rear hubs as a matter of routine maintenance. Anyways, I performed the TSB myself...replaced one hub and cleaned the other...wiped down both rear ABS sensors, and ground the "drain channel" into the hub. The ABS problem never went away, now it looks like the pump/module is shot. I've got the Wilwood front kit, so I'm sure that they are going to give me a hassle in regards to my warranty.

I should know something sometime tomorrow. I'm going to have it towed to the dealership today.
This is definitely not fun, sorry you are going through this and you are not even at 40k miles. Just crazy.

Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Keep us posted, I hope you get it taken care easily and quickly.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   Thread Starter #14
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

The service dept is denying warranty coverage. My bill is currently at $1300 PLUS tax...and they are still troubleshooting.

I have an appointment with the owner of the dealership at 1730 hours...more details to follow...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
The service dept is denying warranty coverage. My bill is currently at $1300 PLUS tax...and they are still troubleshooting.

I have an appointment with the owner of the dealership at 1730 hours...more details to follow...
Why,because you altered the brake system??

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

holy shit.... that sucks dude.. im sorry...

1300 isnt too bad if its as serious as it sounds but still... should be under warranty. no matter what especially since you only have 40K miles.

and dont let them bullshit you about your mods. unless they can PROVE your wilwoods caused your problem, then the mods shouldnt matter. period.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM   Thread Starter #17
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post

Why,because you altered the brake system??
The first thing she told me is that the pass rear wheel sensor is aftermarket so it is not covered. I tell her that the sensor has never been changed by me. She tells me that SOMEBODY changed it...possibly without my knowledge. I then tell her that nobody has ever worked on the car except for me, and that wheel sensor that she claims is aftermarket, was on the car when THEY sold it to me. She then says that the hub bolt hole is damaged...and the sensor was not seated correctly and chewed up the ABS pickup ring. I tell her that is impossible as I had the sensor spaced with a washer to keep that from happening, when i rplaced the wheel bearing. I asked if the mechanic pulled the sensor, then replaced it without the washer and test drove the car? She denies it. I said the car ran fine for the last 4 months, and somehow the ABS sensor mysteriously shifted in the mounting hole and damaged the system 2 days ago...by itself?

She says the sensor is damaged and the pickup ring is damaged...she will show me. I tell her fine, fix the car, but I want EVERY SINGLE PIECE THEY REMOVE given back to me. I then called the owner of the dealership and setup a meeting.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM   Thread Starter #18
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Nismo4Life07 View Post
holy shit.... that sucks dude.. im sorry...

1300 isnt too bad if its as serious as it sounds but still... should be under warranty. no matter what especially since you only have 40K miles.

and dont let them bullshit you about your mods. unless they can PROVE your wilwoods caused your problem, then the mods shouldnt matter. period.
They aren't claiming the Wilwoods are the problem...I'll type it all out after I meet with the owner. They are replacing pass rear sensor, wheel bearing, and knuckle...AND charging me to CLEAN the driver side rear hub...I told her it was already done, and she said that sensor is also showing a code, so they have to inspect it and see what I did...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Man that is some BS . I hope you get everything fixed .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #20

Go to another dealership Don. All BS. Trust me. I wouldn't ANYTHING for that.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #21
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 30
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Sounds like you're holding your ground. And it's tough for them to argue with someone who knows what they are talking about.

Do your thing man!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 110

dstruc is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your troubles bro. Man I hate stealerships
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

This is total BS...these damn dealers will do what ever they have to to get out of warranty work.

Good luck Don!!

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #24

My Awards:

DANG. that sucks

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   Thread Starter #25
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Here's the deal,

Back in October 2011, I went to the dealership to inquire about the intermittent ABS actuation problem. They told me that there was a TSB addressing the issue. I told him I had the extended warranty, and I had the service dept. desk jockey come outside to look at my car. I showed him the front brakes and I asked "Is this going to cause an issue with my warranty"? He asked if I'd done anything to the rear brakes, and I told him other than painting the calipers...no. He said it wouldn't be an issue to come inside to setup the appointment.

While he is setting up the appointment in the computer, we are talking about what needs to be done, and he is describing the procedure that they use to "clean" the hubs. He then mentions that this hub cleaning is NOT covered under warranty...it is considered maintenance...and it will cost me $350 out of pocket. I then ask how cleaning a hub and drilling/grinding a drain channel in the hub is considered routine maintenance? He gives me the BS about Nissan corporate says it's maintenance and not covered. I tell him cancel the appointment, I'll do it myself.

I go home, take the rear left side apart, and everything is clean...very minimul surface rust and NOTHING on the sensor...car only had 34K miles on it. I clean up the surface rust on the hub, dry wipe the sensor, and put it back together. Then I go to the passenger rear side...this is where it goes bad...really bad. The first thing I do after removing the wheel is try to unbolt the sensor, and I snap the head off of the bolt using a 3/8 short ratchet. So I pull the entire hub off of the car and try to drill out the bolt. I get 3/4 through the bolt and the drill bit snaps off in the bolt. I take the hub over to our mechanics at the service garage, and we spend 2 hours drilling out the bolt and drill bit. We finally get it out and we have totally boogered the sensor bolt hole. The mechanic taps it out and get enough threads to get a bolt into. He tells me to loctite it and it will be ok.

I get home and put everything back together. I take the car for a drive immediately have the SAME issues I'm having now...car won't accelerate, won't shift, won't rev over 2500rpm. I go back home...I'm only at the corner, and I take apart the passenger side again, figuring that's where the problem is. I immediately see that the ABS sensor was NOT seated right in the hub...it was on an angle, and the tip of the sensor had ground into the magnetic pickup ring on the wheel bearing. This was caused by us enlarging the hole trying to drill it out. I run up to AutoZone and get a new wheel bearing. When I reassemble it, I place a large flat washer between the ABS sensor and the hub...the washer completely covers the enlarged hole, and allows the ABS sensor to seat correctly in the hub. I then reassemble and disassemble the bearing/hub 3 times to make sure that the sensor is NOT contacting the hub...everything is good, no contact. I put it all back together and go for a ride...car is normal again BUT the intermittent ABS actuation problem is STILL there.

Fast forward 4 months later...
Saturday the car was giving me "power" issues off/on. Sunday, the ABS would actuate EVERY TIME I stepped on the brakes...I had the car towed to the dealership.

3 hours later I get a call from the service dept telling me that the problem is with the AFTERMARKET sensor that SOMEBODY installed in the right rear. I interrupt her and tell her NOBODY installed an aftermarket sensor, and we go back/forth a few times. She then says that WHOEVER installed the sensor also damaged the hub mounting hole...prolly because they broke a bolt. I then tell her I damaged the hub and whatever sensor is on the car was on it when I bought it from them, because I've NEVER changed them. She then goes on to say that the problem I'm having is because the sensor was NOT seated correctly in the hub, and the sensor was making contact with the pickup ring, and chewed it up. I then go through the entire story posted above with her, and I tell her there is NO WAY the sensor was making contact with the ring, because I had it "shimmed" with the washer. She says "Sir, the tip of the sensor is damaged, and the ring is chewed up, I'll show you when you come in". I then asked "Did your mechanic take it apart to inspect it and then put it back together and take it for a test drive? If he did, he didn't put the washer back in and that caused the contact". She absolutely denies that that's what happened. I told her..I did this in October, and the car has driven FINE for 4 months, and NOW the sensor is making contact with the hub? There is NO WAY the sensor "shifted" in the hub on it's own. She doesn't want to hear it, because I messed with it, they will NOT cover it.

I spoke with the owner this evening...he is a VERY nice guy. He tells me tonight that they would have been MORE than happy to work with me on the hub cleaning last October. I tell him that it's nice to now, but it really doesn't help me now. I lay it all out for him. I tell him that yes, I did damage the hub, but the car was driveable, and there is NO WAY that the sensor/bearing damage happened the way that the service dept is saying that it happened. I then told him that the ABS was acting up before I ever TOUCHED anything...that's why I did what I did. I told him it's a common issue and it's also a load of crap that Nissan will not cover the hub cleaning.

He then excused himself to go talk to the service manager. After about 5 minutes he returns with the service manager to talk to me. The service manager then begins asking about what happened and what I did. He then says that as soon as he saw my car and my name in the computer, he new that I had the extended warranty and he wondered why I didn't let them work on the car. He then says...wait for it..."YOU BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, SO WE WOULD HAVE COVERED THE CLEANING AND EVERYTHING". I then said, "WELL, IF YOUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT HADN'T SAID THAT THE CLEANING WAS MAINTENANCE AND NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY, THEN I WOULDN'T BE STANDING HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!!"

In closing,
The owner assures me that they are going to work with me on this. He said that the parts will be in tomorrow, and once they are sure that the car is right, they will call me and we will figure out the bill. I have no problem paying for the replacement hub...I did damage it...although if they would have covered the cleaning, I never would have touched it. I DON'T feel like I should have to pay for any cleaning or any sensor replacement...I'll know more tomorrow.