Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default p0430 Failing Cats

Had a buddy at work scan my car. The only code it's throwing is p0430. The cat is probably failing. Went for a drive with my dad and while sitting in the passenger seat, I could feel some sort of rumble under my feet. Today after work, while turning into my street, I heard some loud noises coming from underneath the car, as if a muffler was being dragged underneath.

I don't even know where to begin. I know for damn sure that I'm not paying the dealer $700 bucks a piece for these cats, even IF I could afford that, I still wouldn't do it. But i know that i can't drive much longer under these conditions. What are my options? Racingline cats? is it as simple as removing the old cats and putting those in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The car has ALWAYS started pretty rough. ever since I bought the car. Not sure if that is related or not.

Last edited by shredda; 08-30-2013 at 11:32 PM.
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 657

Reputation Level: 10
Stack is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: p0430 Failing Cats

Im in the same boat as you but also have P0420 which I had since the first day I installed the high flow pre cats. Im in california and I should have replaced them with the Nissan dealer pre cats because they are the only ones legal for our car in cali. Im pretty stressed out on this also since Im due for smog and its looking like im going to have to pay the $1700 on two precats and then 5 hours labor to a shop. Pretty ridiculous and this isnt the only issue on the car
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Official Member

This guy said it best

Originally Posted by timpol View Post
Well you have a few choices my friend....

Replace your precats with OEM which the last time I check the dealerships sold for $700 each. Price did not include labor, figure four hours. You'll be $2,000 all-in.

Go headers and roll the dice on whether you get codes or not. Some guys have had success in running headers with no codes. Not sure what the cattmans are going for, but $800 w/o labor is probably a good estimate.

Go HFPCs for $500 for both and figure on swapping them out every few years.

good luck

Last edited by Stack; 09-14-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Official Member

Im still planning on working on my car tmrw to see if spacers would help but at this point im pretty sure its gonna have to be brand new OEM pre cats with brand new O2 sensors to guarantee those precats are getting the right mixture. AND hopefully there is no other issue making these cats go bad.

Last edited by Stack; 09-12-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM   Thread Starter #5

Official Member #: 8388

Reputation Level: 7
shredda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stack View Post
Im still planning on working on my car tmrw to see if spacers would help but at this point im pretty sure its gonna have to be brand new OEM pre cats with brand new O2 sensors to guarantee those precats are getting the right mixture. AND hopefully there is no other issue making these cats go bad.
I will NEVER spend $2000 on dealer cats lol, no way. I just placed an order for racingline cats and a ypipe. If it throws p0420 then Ill deal with that after. I might get new dealer 02 sensors...not sure though,
shredda is offline   Send a private message to shredda Find more posts by shredda Add shredda to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 23
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Sorry about you getting the codes for the cats. My car is throwing the codes too. Check engine light comes on and goes off. Playing mind games with me. I already have bought the hfpc and would have changed them a while ago, but I changed my mind against it and my car drives GREAT!!! No signs of slowing down or any funny noises. So, I will hold off on the hfpc until I feel I truly need to replace them. Till then, I am busy adding miles to my Maxima and driving strong.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
https://www.clubarmada.com/forums/21...ton-tx-63.html... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top