Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:57 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17348

Reputation Level: 0
Avguytx is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Noisy AC compressor ... maybe clutch?

My daughter's 2004 Maxima has made a noise from the compressor for the 4 months we've owned it. It seems to have gotten louder and I'm about ready to try changing out the clutch/bearing first and see what happens. The only time it makes this odd noise is when it kicks on. Otherwise, it's quiet. Anyone else out there done this themselves?
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

Official Member #: 830

Rg541 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Noisy AC compressor ... maybe clutch?

Never done one but know its super easy..usually 1-3 screws on the face...might need to shim it(little washer type thing)..think your on the right track.....if u pay $20 for a premium membership on this site will allow u to download entire service manual on this site....very very useful...if your not in a hurry I can look at mine later this week..I'm just sick as a dog right now( nurovirus)hth
Rg541 is offline   Send a private message to Rg541 Find more posts by Rg541 Add Rg541 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM   Thread Starter #3

It's worth a try before spending more on a new compressor. I'm going to order the clutch and bearing and work on it during spring break next week.
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 16267

Reputation Level: 5
harvey is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious if you replaced your clutch and how hard it was, cus my belt shredded recently and I just replaced it. When I turn on the AC the belt pulley makes a loud noise. I'm not sure if it's the compressor or the clutch.
If live to hear how it went if you did it.

Posted Via Tapatalk
harvey is offline   Send a private message to harvey Find more posts by harvey Add harvey to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Official Member #: 16754

gerrymc is an unknown quantity at this point

I started getting a weird noise that increases in volume the faster I go after I had the compressor and main belt replaced. I was wondering if the main belt was too tight.
gerrymc is offline   Send a private message to gerrymc Find more posts by gerrymc Add gerrymc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2016, 04:42 PM   Thread Starter #6

I'm curious about that noise, too, because I'm hearing the same thing. IT's still blowing cold but there's a weird growling noise. Doing some research on this today since no one is home.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Official Member #: 15756

Reputation Level: 5
mynameissean123 is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the bearing is shot. same thing happened to mine so i replaced it with a refurbished one, and that one lasted me about 5 months. make sure you get A BRAND NEW ONE pay the extra money for it, the refurbished one didn't come with a warranty it was such bull shit. really easy to do you just have to drain the free on, loosen the belt, take some bults off and boom its done. makes sure the O rings are in good condition when connect the hoses back to it, otherwise the free on will leak out. HOLLAaaaaalallalalalalaaaaa
mynameissean123 is offline   Send a private message to mynameissean123 Find more posts by mynameissean123 Add mynameissean123 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM   Thread Starter #8

I replaced the compressor and condenser with new units and all is good to go. Spent $305 shipped on all the parts from a great seller on eBay out of Arlington, TX including the O-rings and extra PAG 46 oil. This is easier than changing out the valve cover gaskets (which are idiotic). At the school I work at, we have a heat and air guy so he came over and ran nitrogen through it to check for pressure and leaks (none) and refilled with R134a. It definitely works better than the original one. It was about a 6.5 hour job start to finish with breaks, etc. (including waiting for him to get there) I didn't change the expansion valve. It worked fine so not worth the trouble.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM   Thread Starter #9

For the sake of pictures, here's a before and after. Sorry, nothing in between. Changing the condenser is about the worst part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old compressor (729x1024).jpg (97.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg New compressor (755x1024).jpg (98.9 KB, 6 views)