Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2827

Reputation Level: 9
scotty_mc is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Need Help With Vibration In Front End!!!

whats up fellow 6thgeners i really could use some help here. About a month ago i noticed bad vibration happening when i was braking on the highway come to find out i had a bubble in my front passenger tire. replaced it with a used tire and did the pads and rotors over because they were warped a little. im still experiencing this vibration only when im braking from 60+ but 40- no vibration at all. also when i make turns now im hearing a creaking sound coming from my left front side of my car. Pep boys ran a check on my suspension and told me i needed to replace all 4 struts and replace my left inner tire rod. my question is can i trust this diagnoses because this unfamiliar sound is my main concern. please comment and thanks in advanced for the help

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 08-18-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: More Descriptive Title!
scotty_mc is offline   Send a private message to scotty_mc Find more posts by scotty_mc Add scotty_mc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Default Re: Help!!!

Alright , First the rule with changing tires is to change BOTH at the same time.

Tho maybe you purchase a USED tire as a temp tire, I would look into changing both brand new tires,

#1 we are FWD , so having uneven tires could cause alignment issues, wear , and traction.

Just like your Shoes you wear, you change both, as well as Brake Pads.

That's rule # 1

Now did they re-surface the rotors for you ? or did you purchase new rotors?

The vibration could still be having two different type of tires

as far as the tie rods ends, and creaking..

Push down on your front end in the center, if the car rebounds and comes up once , your struts are still strong, if they seem to bounce a little then you should consider some new struts.

As far as the tie-rods , If you have a floor jack, raise the car up so that the tires are off the ground ( driver side )

grab the wheel at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and jiggle or try to shake it side to side, if you get any play , then your tie rods are in need of replacing.

while the wheel is up , 12 o clock and 6 o clock , motion that up and down to check for wheel bearings, there should be a minor small play but if you feel like the wheel seems loose then the wheel bearing is bad, as well as the tie-rods ,too much play means you need to replace these parts
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
Alright , First the rule with changing tires is to change BOTH at the same time.

Tho maybe you purchase a USED tire as a temp tire, I would look into changing both brand new tires,

#1 we are FWD , so having uneven tires could cause alignment issues, wear , and traction.

Just like your Shoes you wear, you change both, as well as Brake Pads.

That's rule # 1

Now did they re-surface the rotors for you ? or did you purchase new rotors?

The vibration could still be having two different type of tires

as far as the tie rods ends, and creaking..

Push down on your front end in the center, if the car rebounds and comes up once , your struts are still strong, if they seem to bounce a little then you should consider some new struts.

As far as the tie-rods , If you have a floor jack, raise the car up so that the tires are off the ground ( driver side )

grab the wheel at 3 o clock and 9 o clock and jiggle or try to shake it side to side, if you get any play , then your tie rods are in need of replacing.

while the wheel is up , 12 o clock and 6 o clock , motion that up and down to check for wheel bearings, there should be a minor small play but if you feel like the wheel seems loose then the wheel bearing is bad, as well as the tie-rods ,too much play means you need to replace these parts

ok i got it rule #1 change tires together got ya the used one was def a temp solution but they sold me some crap.

the brake pads and rotors are completely new i didnt bother resurfacing them

but i will jack my car up in the AM and def check my wheels out to see whats causing this problem ull be sure to hear from me again
scotty_mc is offline   Send a private message to scotty_mc Find more posts by scotty_mc Add scotty_mc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

yes this will save you some money,

Also while you have it , visual inspect the CV axle boots, make sure the boot isn't busted with grease all over.

little DIY can save you in the long run, good luck and report back with your findings !

pics help too !
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: Need Help With Vibration In Front End!!!

Hey brother, I edited your title to make it a little more descriptive. Also, the first thing I would do if I'm fighting a front end vibration is to get a road force balance on all 4 wheels/tires. How many miles are on your car?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 AM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Hey brother, I edited your title to make it a little more descriptive. Also, the first thing I would do if I'm fighting a front end vibration is to get a road force balance on all 4 wheels/tires. How many miles are on your car?
thanks much appreciated im just comin up on 120k i bought the car at 101
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by scotty_mc View Post
thanks much appreciated im just comin up on 120k i bought the car at 101
IMHO if you have 120K miles on the car, and you are on original shocks/struts/springs, then I'd be looking to change them out too. I'm willing to bet that they've seen better days. OE shocks/struts are typically rated for 50K-60K miles.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM   Thread Starter #8

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
IMHO if you have 120K miles on the car, and you are on original shocks/struts/springs, then I'd be looking to change them out too. I'm willing to bet that they've seen better days. OE shocks/struts are typically rated for 50K-60K miles.
cool no problem my KYB GR-2 just came in last week...i ran by a shop today and asked a few questions. the mechanic pointed out my vibration maybe coming from my tire rods and the creaking sound maybe them needing "a grease job" so im on hiattuis until monday when i can acutally get in the shop and on the lift to get it checked out.

also def shoutout NiZMo1o1 lol the mechanic definitely said i need to be changing my tire together....rule #1
NiZMo1o1 (08-19-2011)