Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16908

Reputation Level: 0
PeteG64 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Multiple Interior Electrical Failures

Hi all. I've got a 2006 SL with about 100K miles on it. Recently I disconnected the battery to replace the valve body solenoids which did resolve my shifting issues.

The problem now is that I have a number of electrical issues. A few months ago (before I replaced the valve body solenoids) I noticed that my fog lights were not working and that the 12V cigarette type power connectors were not working. The one inside the storage console between the front seats does work. The one on top of the shifter console and the one along side the shifter console (by the passengers knees) do not work.

Now I've lost the interior dome lights (front and rear), the blue tooth connection LED, the automatic seat/steering wheel positioning, trunk lighting and the cruise control intermittently cancels (cruise stays on but I have to reset the desired speed). I have tried these with headlights on and off. I have tried the switches to turn the dome lights on manually but they don't light. I have checked the position of the dome light switch. I have attempted to reset the automatic seat/steering wheel positions according to the manual. I have checked the fuses in all three fuse panels with a multi-meter.

Could this be a sign of a failing BCM? Is a salvage BCM worth the effort? How hard is it to replace the BCM and what needs to be reprogrammed or relearned after replacing the BCM?
PeteG64 is offline   Send a private message to PeteG64 Find more posts by PeteG64 Add PeteG64 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Multiple Interior Electrical Failures

I would check for the fuses 1st .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
Zillafreak (07-07-2015)
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

I 2nd that motion. Check fuses for those parts that are not working.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Reputable Member

& relays also , forgot it on above post .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM   Thread Starter #5

I have checked the fuses for anything that might even be remotely related to these but they all test OK. I haven't checked the relays, how do I test a relay?
PeteG64 is offline   Send a private message to PeteG64 Find more posts by PeteG64 Add PeteG64 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Reputable Member

Don t know much myself , always have someone dpo it for me . I would try with either google &/or youtube .
Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 AM   Thread Starter #7

Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
Don t know much myself , always have someone dpo it for me . I would try with either google &/or youtube .
The plot thickens. This morning I flipped on the cruise control and the cruise control light lit up but the set light kept blinking. I couldn't get the cruise control to function and toggling it off and on again gave the same result. I parked the car for about 30 minutes and then headed home. I tested the cruise and it worked fine. It's haunted.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Look for loose connections or exposed wires.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

/ Point Value: 10

Check ground B7 at the bottom of the drivers side pillar between the front and rear doors. Take it loose a put it back on making sure it is making a good connection. Scrape some paint off or install a star washer if you need to. Trace the wire back as far as you can. Bend the wire back and forth looking for opens as you trace it back. If you see a pinch in the wire or damage to the insulation then wire may be broken there.

Ground B7 is not related to the fog lights or interior lights but is related to the non bcm controlled things like the bluetooth, drivers memory position, trunk lamp, and cruise. If i remember correctly the cruise will not work if the drivers side brake light is out. No or poor ground to the rear combination lamp will cause that.

Click the image to open in full size.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Reputable Member

Thanx for the ground tip mate , will check on my ride for corrosion issues there .

A good tip .

Tags
bcm, electrical, interior

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions