Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 387

Reputation Level: 11
BossQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Might Be Time to Sell the Max

Okay everyone, first of all I would like to express my sincerest thanks for everything I have gained from this forum. This is the first forum where I have felt like I am actually part of a family, and the threads read like conversations. For example, on other forums I feel like people talk at you or down to you whereas here we help and encourage each other to reach a common goal: to build our idea of what a Maxima should be.

Here is my situation: I am in my senior year of undergrad and will be going to law school next fall. My problem is I have had my Maxima for 2 years as of last August and I have already sunken close to $3000 in maintenance. It is running pretty strong for 140k but now the timing chain/tensioner issue has arose along with the cats needing to be replaced. This is not to mention the main cosmetic issue it desperately needs: new paint (the front end is so pitted from road debris etc, body shops have told me the front bumper will have to be replaced). I just paid close to $1300 to have the valve body replaced within the last 6 months. Every time I fix one problem, something else goes wrong and with me going into an intensive first year of law school, I will not be able to work or keep fixing issues.

Sorry to ramble, but the end is near! I have boiled my solutions down to two of which I seek advice..

1) I keep the Maxima, fix the timing chain/tensioners, then possibly do the cats as well or change them out down the road then let the paint job fall into place whenever I can get to it.

2) I sell the Max stock (after a part-out of course), buy something else cheaper and keep the extra money in a bank account to cover future expenses. I have been passively looking at Infiniti Q45s (I cant leave Nissan ) and have been finding some great deals, plus all the reviews say that they are VERY reliable.

Anyways, sorry to go on for so long but I really need advice right now and I figured what better way than to ask my family.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

Reputation Level: 15
KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Might Be Time to Sell the Max

well, you already got rid of one of the biggest problem within owning a maxima (the tranny) and yeah, the timing chain tensioners will cost you unfortunately. i already went through one precat failing on me. the next one that happens, i'll be ready for it.

if you're car isnt burning oil, then thats really impressive and i would keep it and invest in maintenance but not so much with mods.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Boss,
You have a tough decision to make.

Lets look at this intelligently.

Year 2004.
Purchase price_$_________
Current Mileage- 140,000 +
Owned for two years
Major repairs done:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Cost of Major repairs completed: $__________

Needs:
1. Body- needs paint Est. cost$_________

2. Timing chain/ tensioners. Est. cost$__________

3. Cats. Est. cost. $_____________

Total Amount already paid for repairs and maintenance the past two years:

$__________

Estimated cost of needed repairs to make the car mechanically reliable and safe (excluding paint). $_________

Estimated cost of paint. $________

Cost of newer car after trade in or private sale of Maxima.$__________

Possible increase of insurance and taxes for a newer car. $________

Put your numbers in and figure it out.

Good luck.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #4

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

And to add: a "newer" car does not equal = Zero PROBLEMS.

Same logic applies to any car.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Kontra-vers-E (10-26-2011)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

I'm sensing some frustration...once you get to that point there's no coming back. I've been in situations like this before and have always moved forward and never looked back. You should do what works for you,it's time for a new car and this is just an excuse. What ever the reason do what's best for you....

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 05:42 PM   Thread Starter #6

Official Member #: 387

Reputation Level: 11
BossQ is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thanks everyone for your opinions they are really helping me out and giving me guidance to what I should do. I am very 50/50 right now because I want to keep the Max but I have found a Q that would make me drop the Max if the seller would call me back. Its a 1999 with 78k miles on it that I could basically break even on..

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
I'm sensing some frustration...once you get to that point there's no coming back. I've been in situations like this before and have always moved forward and never looked back. You should do what works for you,it's time for a new car and this is just an excuse. What ever the reason do what's best for you....
Yea, you are right in saying that. I have reached the point where I am so frustrated I barely daydream about mods anymore because every time I save up to do something, I have to do something maintenance related. I have been safe with the idea that if something goes really wrong while Im at school, I can shoot home one weekend and switch cars with one of the family or I can get it fixed there. When I go to law school, I want to go farther from home but I dont want to be at the mercy of the town Im in just because the Max is always having issues. The school Im at now has a TERRIBLE Nissan dealership and I dont trust just anyone to work on my Max.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

IMO, I would go with Option two. Get something cheaper and save the headache for the exams you will be taking soon. I say focus on school, then car. Good luck

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
07maximan (10-26-2011)
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 2220

Reputation Level: 25
myounz will become famous soon enoughmyounz will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Yeah man going into law school is a big thing. I have a friend who just got into law school and he is non stop studying so having a car that you are going to be worrying about is not something to have. Agree with @Hmax.

Check Out My Build Thread
http://my6thgen.org/f13/myounz-07-maxima-16702/

Also check out my instagram @_myounz
myounz is offline   Send a private message to myounz Find more posts by myounz Add myounz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Don't really have words of wisdom outside of a new car can bring unknown problems, but keeping the Max will bring about stress worrying if it will break down.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top