Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:05 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17196

Reputation Level: 0
purebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default I'm a car idiot and I'm buying a 2007 maxima with 95k miles for $12k

Hi, I don't know a lot about cars but I've been in the market to buy one to replace my 2002 taurus for about a year now, and I've test driven a lot of cars but it wasn't until I tried out a 2007 maxima that I really found something that was in my price range and felt as good (well, better actually) than the taurus (and still roomy enough to haul my equipment when I need to move stuff.)

The one I'm looking at has 95k miles and a bit of a high pitched whine that gets louder the faster you go. It looks like there is about a $2000 repair that has similar symptoms but I'm not sure. It's at CarMax and I asked them to fix it before I bought it (it's in the shop right now) and from what they have told me it was the motor mount or cage or something, the water pump, a worn belt, and another couple of things.

I would be getting the CarMax warranty alongside of it (3 years/35k miles nearly bumper to bumper) so I feel a bit of peace of mind but I'm still not sure that it's a good deal (it has most of the packages installed, it's SE but has heated leather seats, non-power sunroof, missing the heated steering wheel, missing navigation, and I don't think it has bluetooth, not sure what else is different between it and the SL but it's pretty sharp.)

I've been reading everything about this car that I can for the past 3 days and I feel pretty good about the purchase (although I still think it might be overpriced, as the kbb price for the car is closer to $8k instead of $12k) but I figured this would be a great place to ask for advice: is it a good deal and should I be too concerned about the upfront problems if they are fixing them?

(I'm taking it to a local mechanic as soon as they get it out of the shop.)

Any advice on whether I should buy this or try to find a cheaper or newer model would be appreciated, thanks!
purebe is offline   Send a private message to purebe Find more posts by purebe Add purebe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: I'm a car idiot and I'm buying a 2007 maxima with 95k miles for $12k

I would shop around , looks expensive .

What s the conditions of the car , clean , etc .

I would get the car to a trusted mechanic & have it checked for what has to be done on it & how much it would cost to fix it .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Reputable Member

Default Re: I'm a car idiot and I'm buying a 2007 maxima with 95k miles for $12k

I would have the car scanned for codes also .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 AM   Thread Starter #4

Thanks, I hadn't thought about getting it scanned for codes, that is a really good idea. Turns out it was way too expensive (thanks good people of the internet, saving me from my own stupidity!) and now I'm looking at a 2009 :D But, that's good advice and it still applies, thanks!
Travieso (10-19-2015)
purebe is offline   Send a private message to purebe Find more posts by purebe Add purebe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
Reputable Member

No problem mate , have the car checked at your trusted mechanic & all should be ok , if there s not major repairs to do .

You re not stupid to me ! If you don t ask you don t know right !
Old 10-20-2015, 12:50 AM   Thread Starter #6

Got the 2009 SV premium for $12k, took it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase and basically said everything was good except the exhaust pipes are rusting a bit and will probably be a $1300 or so repair in the next 10k miles.

I think that's alright for the car, and oh man it is a JOY to drive. I can't say how glad I am I didn't buy the 07 :D
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
Reputable Member

I would have the dealer/seller change the exhaust for the same price , or have him lower the price for $1300 . Try that .See what it will happen .
Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purebe View Post
Got the 2009 SV premium for $12k, took it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase and basically said everything was good except the exhaust pipes are rusting a bit and will probably be a $1300 or so repair in the next 10k miles.

I think that's alright for the car, and oh man it is a JOY to drive. I can't say how glad I am I didn't buy the 07 :D
$1300, Just buy aftermarket for like $600 and install it yourself, not hard.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

noooooooooooooooo
Old 10-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

$1300 for exhaust? Just go aftermarket and it will be cheaper.