Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6390

Reputation Level: 7
Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default IACV Or Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning

My idle drops to about 500rpm and the car runs rough for a 10-20 seconds and then it rises and runs smooth again. I had the fuel system serviced and though it did make a difference over all the problem still exists.

From what I've read its the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) but I cannot find one anyplace or find its location to clean it. If some one could give me a thorough location or a pic please do.

Sometimes you just have to go faster than the other guy
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: IACV Or Idle Air Control Valve Cleaning

It is with the throttle body, though I doubt your engine has one. It was part of the pre-2004 Maxima engines.

Have you cleaned your throttle-body?
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Originally Posted by Terrentius View Post
It is with the throttle body, though I doubt your engine has one. It was part of the pre-2004 Maxima engines.

Have you cleaned your throttle-body?
Yes. I had done it previously but I decided to have a shop do it because they did the 4 step which included the fuel rail high pressure cleaning. But they also removed and cleaned the throttle body. It totally runs better just idles crappy

Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Official Member

Well, my guess then is that it is a vacuum leak. Too much air is getting in at idle that is "not" being accounted for by the MAF sensor. If that is the case, then she runs rough because the calculation of air to fuel required for combustion is off. The computer then, via the information from the 02 sensors, adjust for it. If the car runs fine other than at idle, then my hunch is that it is a vacuum leak.
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 AM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by Terrentius View Post
Well, my guess then is that it is a vacuum leak. Too much air is getting in at idle that is "not" being accounted for by the MAF sensor. If that is the case, then she runs rough because the calculation of air to fuel required for combustion is off. The computer then, via the information from the 02 sensors, adjust for it. If the car runs fine other than at idle, then my hunch is that it is a vacuum leak.
Rats! Its gotta be(hopefully I mean) be my plenum gasket or at least one of the intake gaskets. I'm getting ready to install headers so I will replace said gaskets and look for other issues. All vacuum lines have been replaced by fuel line and checked for tight fit.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Official Member

Just my hunch, but its cheapest, as in both time and money, to check, so you should start there.