Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4142

Reputation Level: 0
L Smoove is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default I Have To Change Timing Chain. Is There Anything Else I Should Replace With It?

I took my 04' maxima SE to the mechanic's for a ticking noise that was getting worse and worse. Finally came to the conclusion it's the timing chain. He's going to get the whole timing chain kit with solenoid and gaskets. Is there anything else I should replace why it's all apart like this? How good are the cams? Should I replace those while it's apart? I have 181,000 miles on it, 3 year old rebuilt tranny and the miles are from driving long distances. I have kept extremely good care of the vehicle just to give you an idea of the shape it's in.
L Smoove is offline   Send a private message to L Smoove Find more posts by L Smoove Add L Smoove to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 837

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: I have to change Timing chain. Is there anything else I should replace with it?

I would suggest checking your water pump (fins and bearings Seals) especially since youre in there, (and please post a pic of it) i did my timing chain about the same (Nissan changed guides) also theres a tensioner with a spring (might be worth a change too)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: I have to change Timing chain. Is there anything else I should replace with it?

Awesome! Thank you!
L Smoove is offline   Send a private message to L Smoove Find more posts by L Smoove Add L Smoove to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM   Thread Starter #4

When you say fins, what exactly do you mean?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Fins, and bearing seals on the water pump?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 AM   Thread Starter #5

I finally posted pictures by the way. How do you get your pics on the bottom of your comments?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by L Smoove View Post
I finally posted pictures by the way. How do you get your pics on the bottom of your comments?
Quick links, edit signature, copy link, needs to be 650x200

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 837

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious to know how that pump looked think mines may need changing, if you click GO ADVANCED at the bottom of the message on your screen it will give you more options and let you attach pics in the message (paper clip)