Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5195

Reputation Level: 0
targus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default How To Change A Negative Ground Cable

Hi there fellows maxima owners . I need someone to tell me how involve and expensive it is to replace the ground cable that feeds the negative battery post because the car just can't start normally for the past 5 weeks . The first thing i did was i charge my older battery that was really only a year and a half old but that didn't really work so i dicided to just buy a new battery and clean the lead acid on the terminal it worked for a few days but the terminal kept coming off loose so i pay a mechanic that works outside of autozone and he cut it and put a new terminal for me but i notice he cut the wire too short and there is no slack on the cable .

The car was starting fine for like a month until last monday when i turn the key in the ignigtion the car wont start unless i get a booster so that lead me to conclude that i need to change the ground cable because it is so tigh and it is being pull by the battery that there might be a circuit promblem . Help please

car mileage : 70605
targus is offline   Send a private message to targus Find more posts by targus Add targus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: How To Change A Negative Ground Cable

Not sure how long that cable is...

Bump!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

I think it goes from the battery terminal to a connection under the battery tray and then to the transmission I believe.
taz394 (01-04-2013)
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Official Member #: 6680

BlancoMax is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there is a kit for that in autozone.
BlancoMax is offline   Send a private message to BlancoMax Find more posts by BlancoMax Add BlancoMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

You don't need a kit...if you have some 4g wire laying around, and a couple of terminals, you can do it yourself. Pull the battery out, remove the battery tray, and you'll see where the wire connects to. If I remember correctly, it connects to the framerail under the tray and then terminates at the transmission. I ran a cable from the negative terminal to the fraimrail, and then a very short wire from the framerail to the transmission. It's very simple to do.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I just went through all of my pics...I didn't take any of the wire with the battery and tray removed...it's a very simple thing to do yourself though.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 9
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
You don't need a kit...if you have some 4g wire laying around, and a couple of terminals, you can do it yourself. Pull the battery out, remove the battery tray, and you'll see where the wire connects to. If I remember correctly, it connects to the framerail under the tray and then terminates at the transmission. I ran a cable from the negative terminal to the fraimrail, and then a very short wire from the framerail to the transmission. It's very simple to do.
That's exactly right. I had mine apart last weekend.

Negative terminal to a connection bolted into the frame. From there to the transmission. Fairly easy to swap out and get to from under the hood.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by timpol View Post
That's exactly right. I had mine apart last weekend.

Negative terminal to a connection bolted into the frame. From there to the transmission. Fairly easy to swap out and get to from under the hood.
I upgraded my own when I installed my grounding kit a few years back, but I don't remember the length of wire used...it wasn't all that long. I'm thinking around 20" for the battery to chassis, and less than 12" for the chassis to transmission.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 541

Reputation Level: 15
taz394 will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
I think it goes from the battery terminal to a connection under the battery tray and then to the transmission I believe.
yupe ones goes into the frame itself right under the battery and one goes into the tranny

This

very simple ... remove battery and tray and everything will look much more simple fom there
taz394 is offline   Send a private message to taz394 Find more posts by taz394 Add taz394 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Official Member

I upgraded my own when I installed my grounding kit a few years back, but I don't remember the length of wire used...it wasn't all that long. I'm thinking around 20" for the battery to chassis, and less than 12" for the chassis to transmission.
Actually that's how my set up is after I ordered and installed your grounding kit a couple years ago. Those measurements seem about right.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 PM.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   Thread Starter #11

I went to youtube but i didn't see videos for a nissan maxima they had one for an acura TL and it looked like it was and easy job for someone with mechanic background . But honestly it seem like a big project for me and it is cold here in New York so i am going to take the car my mechanic , but at least i know now is not a complex job thanks .
targus is offline   Send a private message to targus Find more posts by targus Add targus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   Thread Starter #12

Originally Posted by timpol View Post
Actually that's how my set up is after I ordered and installed your grounding kit a couple years ago. Those measurements seem about right.
do i have to replace both wires or just the one that is deffective ?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by targus View Post
do i have to replace both wires or just the one that is deffective ?
I didn't actually replace mine, I just put the new cable right over the top of the old one. If you have a basic set of hand tools, it shouldn't take you any more than 5 minutes to pull the battery and the tray out. Once they are out, you will see wire...it's literally right there. If you need me to hook you up with a cable, just let me know. I'm sure it's cold there, it's in the mid-teens here and we have 2 feet of snow on the ground! In the end, it's your money...if you want to take it to your mechanic, then it's your call. You do NOT need to be mechanically inclined to do this.

If your OEM cable is corroded, then I would remove it totally, if it isn't, then you can run the new cable right over the top of it. I ran a new cable from the battery - terminal to the frame rail. Then I ran a second small cable from the fraim rail to the transmission...following the OEM cable exactly. If your local AutoZone type store has the replacement cable and it isn't too expensive, then you can just get it from them and it will save you having to crimp any connectors on...but I would definitely not pay anyone any money to actually replace it...it's a very simple job.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 01-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
silly_buttons13 (04-15-2015), sprocketser (09-28-2015)
Dislikes: (1)
vich (01-09-2013)
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

If you have the skills to replace your car battery, then you will have NO problem replacing the cable. If you can get me the measurements that you need, I can shoot you a price on the cables.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Official Member

I never replaced my OEM wire. I just ordered the grounding kit from @1hawaii50. It is very simple to do, even in cold weather.