Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15609

Reputation Level: 0
Pa_Savage is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default ECU COMPATIBILITY

I have a 2004 nissan maxima with 5speed automatic, no traction control or adaptive cruise. The number on the ecu is A56-V50 ZR5 then has the letters BW also. I see ecu's listed online with these same numbers for the 4 and 5 speed which makes me wonder if they are interchangeable. Has anyone ever replaced their ecu with one from a salvage yard and know any info on this ? I know they would have to be programmed to the key to start. Id like to get my car running again soon so any info would be great.
Pa_Savage is offline   Send a private message to Pa_Savage Find more posts by Pa_Savage Add Pa_Savage to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
L36
Official Member

Official Member #: 3575

Reputation Level: 9
L36 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: ECU COMPATIBILITY

Originally Posted by Pa_Savage View Post
I have a 2004 nissan maxima with 5speed automatic, no traction control or adaptive cruise. The number on the ecu is A56-V50 ZR5 then has the letters BW also. I see ecu's listed online with these same numbers for the 4 and 5 speed which makes me wonder if they are interchangeable. Has anyone ever replaced their ecu with one from a salvage yard and know any info on this ? I know they would have to be programmed to the key to start. Id like to get my car running again soon so any info would be great.
I believe 5sp and 4spd ECUs are different in terms of tune but are plug and play. Though ECUs that have traction control and those which do not I'm 100% sure of that are different.

You should look for a ECU from a 5sp car. You can also use a manual ECU as it would be plug and play but good luck finding one and its tune is somewhat different so the car would run differently, especially during shift points.
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be best to take your vin # for this issue , at a price it will be , you want to make sure about the ecu p/n .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 AM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 15609

Reputation Level: 0
Pa_Savage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by L36 View Post
I believe 5sp and 4spd ECUs are different in terms of tune but are plug and play. Though ECUs that have traction control and those which do not I'm 100% sure of that are different.

You should look for a ECU from a 5sp car. You can also use a manual ECU as it would be plug and play but good luck finding one and its tune is somewhat different so the car would run differently, especially during shift points.
Idk about the plug and play because the key would have to be programmed to the replacement ecu in order for it to start.
Pa_Savage is offline   Send a private message to Pa_Savage Find more posts by Pa_Savage Add Pa_Savage to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
L36
Official Member

Official Member #: 3575

Reputation Level: 9
L36 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pa_Savage View Post
Idk about the plug and play because the key would have to be programmed to the replacement ecu in order for it to start.
Clearly you'd have to do that, I did not mention that because I thought you were aware of this...
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Might need to go to a Nissan dealer in order to programme it with Consult .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top