Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Couple Questions Regarding Painting Calipers and About Power Windows

First, I want to spray my rubber window tracks with silicone, as I'm getting some squeaking from my driver's window. Do you just use the spray silicone that you would get from AutoZone, or Home Depot? My windows are tinted, will spraying the window tracks have any adverse affects on my tint?

On to the other topic...I got my Wilwoods today, and I have a G2 paint kit on the way. When I get to the face of the caliper, I have to deal with this:
Click the image to open in full size.

You have to brush on the G2 paint. What is the best way to clean any paint off of the letters, as I'm sure I'll slop some on there? This stuff dries rock hard...will paint thinner on a rag be good enough to clean the letters? I've also got an air die grinder with some scotchbrite pads? Now that I bought the G2 kit, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just spray them and call it a day?

If I use the G2 kit, I'm going to paint all exterior surfaces, but NOT the interior surfaces of the caliper. If I end up spraying them, are there any concerns with taping anything off? Do I need to be worried about any overspray on any parts of the caliper?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Couple Questions Regarding Painting Calipers and About Power Windows

Here's the concept for the calipers Don. You can do either/or. I couldn't find any high temp green paint so I'm using a G2 kit to paint over it smoothly. I'm painting the whole thing and then slightly sanding the letters off. Its works perfect as I did it on my 4thgen's 300ZX BBK!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
1hawaii50 (04-12-2011)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 27
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Default Re: Couple Questions Regarding Painting Calipers and About Power Windows

Don, any chemical on the window tint can't be good. Maybe someone else will chime in. As far as getting the paint off, I haven't seen anything that denatured alcohol wouldn't remove. You can pick it up at Home Depot.

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 23
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Here's the concept for the calipers Don. You can do either/or. I couldn't find any high temp green paint so I'm using a G2 kit to paint over it smoothly. I'm painting the whole thing and then slightly sanding the letters off. Its works perfect as I did it on my 4thgen's 300ZX BBK!

I did this, as eddy had recommended, and it came out great!!!
By hero782 at 2011-04-12
1hawaii50 (04-12-2011)
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM   Thread Starter #5
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Thanks for the caliper tips guys. Eddy, will the letters rust if I don't have any protection on them? Is 100grit too harsh, should I go with something finer so they don't leave sanding scratches on the letters, or will you not see them?

Eddy, any advice on the windows? Will it be safe to spray the tracks with my windows tinted? Should I hunt down my tint guy and run it by him?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #6

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Thanks for the caliper tips guys. Eddy, will the letters rust if I don't have any protection on them? Is 100grit too harsh, should I go with something finer so they don't leave sanding scratches on the letters, or will you not see them?

Eddy, any advice on the windows? Will it be safe to spray the tracks with my windows tinted? Should I hunt down my tint guy and run it by him?
Yeah you can go with a much finer sand paper. Those Z32 calipers were pretty old so they needed a rougher grit. I never had any problems with rust at all. I've had my Wilwoods for a few years now.

Not sure about the Windows. A lot of people use glass cleaning chemicals on the tints and have never had any major issues. Not sure about that Silicone though.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   Thread Starter #7
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Yeah you can go with a much finer sand paper. Those Z32 calipers were pretty old so they needed a rougher grit. I never had any problems with rust at all. I've had my Wilwoods for a few years now.

Not sure about the Windows. A lot of people use glass cleaning chemicals on the tints and have never had any major issues. Not sure about that Silicone though.
Yeah, ummmmm, I'm a moron! The calipers are aluminum...they won't rust!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Don ,

roll your windows all the way down , get a can of silicone that has a straw attachment,

and this is the area you want to spray

then roll you windows up and down , up and down a few times and you should be good, wipe anything access off your tints if you cover it with a heavy coat.

but as long as you spray in this general area when the windows are down your good.

As for the letters ,Eddy has the right idea

or you can either take the time to mask it up , or brush some grease on the letters and then paint around it carefully.

when the paint is dry you can wipe the grease off and the letters are untouched.

good luck
1hawaii50 (04-13-2011)
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM   Thread Starter #9
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Thanks guys! Hopefully the weather warms up enough in the next week or so and I can get the car detailed!