Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14061

Reputation Level: 0
05vqMaxSL is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Confused About Struts And Shocks

I need some help here. I've done my research, but since most posts are from 3+ years ago, I need solid advice:

Right now, I'm lowered on Tein S-techs (front only) with stock struts and shocks. I now have the famous "popping noise" from the front and it's killing me. I'm going to put the rear springs on, but I want to replace the struts and shocks all around since I'm at 85k and it's time.

So, here's my question: What is a good shock to use in conjunction with the S-techs? This is my DD, so ride quality is important, but I'm willing to sacrifice ride quality for solid handling and responsiveness.

1.) I looked at the KYB-GR2's, but everyone says they blow after a while. Thoughts? If these are direct OEM replacements, won't they be under stress with aftermarket springs?
2.) Can you still buy the AGX shocks that are adujstable?
3.) What about Monroe's? I've sense sensa-trac and such, but don't know if those are good?
4.) What about Koni's?
5.) Is it better to just do coilovers ?

Please keep in mind I'm running stock tire size on the SL 17's.

So, what would be the best option for someone like me? And finally, is there somewhere I can buy replacement strut mount kits? I want to change everything all at once and be done with it.

Thank you for your help!!! Sorry for the long post.
05vqMaxSL is offline   Send a private message to 05vqMaxSL Find more posts by 05vqMaxSL Add 05vqMaxSL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 11397

Reputation Level: 6
KobyG04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Confused about struts/shocks - HELP!!

just go coilovers, once you have the springs on for awhile you will want to be able to adjust them and kick yourself for not buying coilovers. I know im in that boat now.
KobyG04 is offline   Send a private message to KobyG04 Find more posts by KobyG04 Add KobyG04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Confused About Struts And Shocks

More money at first , but worth it in the end .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
KobyG04 (07-10-2014)
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 5120

Reputation Level: 8
805_dkmax is an unknown quantity at this point

What about some ebay1s? found them for under 150 for the whole set new but not sure how they will work with aftermarket springs? and what else would I need?
805_dkmax is offline   Send a private message to 805_dkmax Find more posts by 805_dkmax Add 805_dkmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Official Member #: 7376

Reputation Level: 7
mackzima is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man,

I have the S-Techs. Installed them with a new set of Monroes, but my rear right blew after about 6 months. Said eff that and moved to KYB in the rear (both sides). In my opinion, the ride is better with the KYB. More responsive, yet still better in the 'daily ride' feel. So much so, that im swapping to KYB up front as soon as I receive them.

If you don't go with coilovers, I would recommend going with KYB over Monroe. After comparing both (at least in the rear).

Also, I ordered new KYB strut mounts for a fresh install. The joint that sells the struts will have the mounts too.

PS: want to buy a used set of Monroe struts?

Last edited by mackzima; 09-05-2014 at 07:28 PM.
05blkmax5761 (09-06-2014), 805_dkmax (09-05-2014)
mackzima is offline   Send a private message to mackzima Find more posts by mackzima Add mackzima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 5120

Reputation Level: 8
805_dkmax is an unknown quantity at this point

So does this look right http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002T0...ref=mp_s_a_1_6
Or could these work the same

Because I'm thinking low price but you guys the pros so inform
805_dkmax is offline   Send a private message to 805_dkmax Find more posts by 805_dkmax Add 805_dkmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 7325

Reputation Level: 7
05blkmax5761 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 05vqMaxSL View Post
I need some help here. I've done my research, but since most posts are from 3+ years ago, I need solid advice:

Right now, I'm lowered on Tein S-techs (front only) with stock struts and shocks. I now have the famous "popping noise" from the front and it's killing me. I'm going to put the rear springs on, but I want to replace the struts and shocks all around since I'm at 85k and it's time.

So, here's my question: What is a good shock to use in conjunction with the S-techs? This is my DD, so ride quality is important, but I'm willing to sacrifice ride quality for solid handling and responsiveness.

1.) I looked at the KYB-GR2's, but everyone says they blow after a while. Thoughts? If these are direct OEM replacements, won't they be under stress with aftermarket springs?
2.) Can you still buy the AGX shocks that are adujstable?
3.) What about Monroe's? I've sense sensa-trac and such, but don't know if those are good?
4.) What about Koni's?
5.) Is it better to just do coilovers ?

Please keep in mind I'm running stock tire size on the SL 17's.

So, what would be the best option for someone like me? And finally, is there somewhere I can buy replacement strut mount kits? I want to change everything all at once and be done with it.

Thank you for your help!!! Sorry for the long post.
I'm using the tein-kyb setup. I haven't had any issues, with mine. Just be mindful of potholes, and take it slow on shi++y roads. The handling improved nothing too drastic, I live in Baltimore so these streets are
A$$ to drive on! That's why I went with springs. But it comes down too personal taste. Where you live, are the streets any good etc... Too be honest if I had the money at that time,
I probably would have brought coilovers. I'm definitely happy with the springs, and I brought them for a good price!

Last edited by 05blkmax5761; 09-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
05blkmax5761 is offline   Send a private message to 05blkmax5761 Find more posts by 05blkmax5761 Add 05blkmax5761 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 10
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am lowered on tein s-tech and kyb. Been 3yrs haven't blown yet. I wouldnt recommend coils for a DD......
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
kyb, shocks, struts

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions