Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

Reply
ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   Thread Starter #1
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
infamxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Official Member #: 5484
Last Online: 12-22-2015 11:39 AM
Posts: 35

Reputation Level: 0
infamxus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Clicking Noise Coming From Under The Hood (video)

08 Max SE

Would anyone by chance know where this noise is coming from and how serious it is? I believe it makes this noise throughout idle, driven, as long as the car is one the noise is heard. I have an extended warranty and taking it to Nissan Service Center would cost $110 for diagnostic if nothing is wrong but will be waived if the item is covered. I refuse to throw that much money away because it sounds way too damn much. What should i do!

View My Video
infamxus is offline   Send a private message to infamxus Find more posts by infamxus Add infamxus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Southernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 837
Last Online: 11-24-2013 11:51 PM
Location: Southaven Mississippi
Posts: 246

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

Cant really distinguish the sound . On which side of the car is it the loudest
__________________
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
bhp4202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 747
Last Online: 07-31-2018 02:48 PM
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 95

Reputation Level: 9
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

sounds like fuel dampers clicking
__________________
04 SE....Injen CAI....Jet MAF....Racingline Y-Pipe.... Ebay Cat-Back Exhaust....NWP BOP....NWP Spacers....
bhp4202 is offline   Send a private message to bhp4202 Find more posts by bhp4202 Add bhp4202 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 AM   Thread Starter #4
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
infamxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Official Member #: 5484
Last Online: 12-22-2015 11:39 AM
Posts: 35

Reputation Level: 0
infamxus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

Originally Posted by Southernmax View Post
Cant really distinguish the sound . On which side of the car is it the loudest
it sounds louder on the passengers side
infamxus is offline   Send a private message to infamxus Find more posts by infamxus Add infamxus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Southernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 837
Last Online: 11-24-2013 11:51 PM
Location: Southaven Mississippi
Posts: 246

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

If its a click like on and off then its probably your compressor.(could be low on refrigerant)

If its a constant clicking more like rattling then it could be the timing chain guides. (this one will sound more like wheel of fortune when you press the gas its like your spinning the wheel then it slows)

Other than that beats me. I would bet on the low refrigerant clicking compressor
__________________
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 AM   Thread Starter #6
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
infamxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Official Member #: 5484
Last Online: 12-22-2015 11:39 AM
Posts: 35

Reputation Level: 0
infamxus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

Originally Posted by Southernmax View Post
If its a click like on and off then its probably your compressor.(could be low on refrigerant)

If its a constant clicking more like rattling then it could be the timing chain guides. (this one will sound more like wheel of fortune when you press the gas its like your spinning the wheel then it slows)

Other than that beats me. I would bet on the low refrigerant clicking compressor
what should i do? if it isnt just low on it and its something else will this lead to a bigger issue..should i fork over the $110 + repair costs or is it something that isnt serious
infamxus is offline   Send a private message to infamxus Find more posts by infamxus Add infamxus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Executive Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Thundershott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 684
Last Online: 01-10-2015 01:27 AM
Location: IN THE DRIVERS SEAT
Posts: 16,501

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  


/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  


/ Point Value: 10

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  


/ Point Value: 10

Active Member  


/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

I could not discern anything from the sound in your video.

If something has changed and it does not sound right to you, then by all means have it checked out. The $110.00 will be chicken feed (negligible) if it turns out you have a problem.

Mechanical problems do not fix themselves, they gradually get worse.
__________________
Click the image to open in full size.


Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 PM   Thread Starter #8
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
infamxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Official Member #: 5484
Last Online: 12-22-2015 11:39 AM
Posts: 35

Reputation Level: 0
infamxus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
I could not discern anything from the sound in your video.

If something has changed and it does not sound right to you, then by all means have it checked out. The $110.00 will be chicken feed (negligible) if it turns out you have a problem.

Mechanical problems do not fix themselves, they gradually get worse.
i was thinking that maybe it sounds like that because it is colder out now? not sure if its a coincidence or not. i have only had the car since March...
infamxus is offline   Send a private message to infamxus Find more posts by infamxus Add infamxus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
Southernmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Official Member #: 837
Last Online: 11-24-2013 11:51 PM
Location: Southaven Mississippi
Posts: 246

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

How many miles are on the Maxima (im assuming your out of warranty like the most of us) if youre not sure and have never done it then leave it to a pro (adding coolant to compressor). If thats whats clicking.

and if you do decide to do it yourself, do not use anything with stopleak in it. I locked up a compressor and snapped a belt with that crap.Would have come out better just adding more every couple of months repair cost $850 from Nissan and still had problems, so this time i filled with plain refrigerant myself and been ice cold eversince i think they shorted me on refrigerant when they installed the new one

Plain refrigerant is cheaper anyway (no particular brand) I did my own i can do write up if you like, or post video.

can of antifreeze cost between $7 and 13$
adapter to add antifreeze is about 15$ ( one size fits all, plus you can charge people to fill their cars )
Total cost around $25


Make sure its your compressor first though no need to go messing with something thats perfectly fine

Dealer Diagnostics are definitely worth it if you have no clue. and they dont charge you for the diagnostic if you let them fix it.
__________________
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   Thread Starter #10
Newbie
my6thgen.org Profile Info.
 
infamxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Official Member #: 5484
Last Online: 12-22-2015 11:39 AM
Posts: 35

Reputation Level: 0
infamxus is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Clicking Noise coming from under the hood (video)

Originally Posted by Southernmax View Post
How many miles are on the Maxima (im assuming your out of warranty like the most of us) if youre not sure and have never done it then leave it to a pro (adding coolant to compressor). If thats whats clicking.

and if you do decide to do it yourself, do not use anything with stopleak in it. I locked up a compressor and snapped a belt with that crap.Would have come out better just adding more every couple of months repair cost $850 from Nissan and still had problems, so this time i filled with plain refrigerant myself and been ice cold eversince i think they shorted me on refrigerant when they installed the new one

Plain refrigerant is cheaper anyway (no particular brand) I did my own i can do write up if you like, or post video.

can of antifreeze cost between $7 and 13$
adapter to add antifreeze is about 15$ ( one size fits all, plus you can charge people to fill their cars )
Total cost around $25


Make sure its your compressor first though no need to go messing with something thats perfectly fine

Dealer Diagnostics are definitely worth it if you have no clue. and they dont charge you for the diagnostic if you let them fix it.
it just hit 70k and i have a extended 3 year warranty. i hope its something as simple as low on antifreeze (my ac is still cold). im just gonna give in and take it in for a full diagnostic. they said its $110 if nothing is wrong and if there is they add it to labor
infamxus is offline   Send a private message to infamxus Find more posts by infamxus Add infamxus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 Members And 1 Guests)
 
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.