Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 4
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Car Wont Start, ABS And Brake Lights Stuck On

So after a long drive to Niagra Falls for the weekend, then a drive home, my car will no longer start. Over the trip is was working perfectly fine most of the way, but there was one hiccup while driving in town where the gauges died and a few of the lights (abs and brakes) stayed on. It went away and everything came back up 2 minutes later and the car was running fine so i figured i was good for now and would get it looked at when i get home.

So 15 mins from home i go to pull on to the highway and it happens again, no idea what my speed was so i pulled off the highway and pulled over. There was a slight electrical burning smell, none of the gauges were working, and the abs, brake, and traction control lights were on. It did still start so after 30 mins i went to see if i could move it, but it sounded like it was really struggling as soon as i put it in reverse so i just had it towed. I did also notice that there was a ton of heat coming from the pass side right above the alternator.

Since i had roadside assistance with canadian tire i got it towed to them, wait 2 hours for them to get it in and they tell me its throwing out a bunch of codes and they dont even have a lot of them in their list so i have to get it towed to nissan instead. Now ive got to wait for them to look at it to tell me whats wrong with it.

As some background i really havent had any issues with the car other than some brake issues, which were just done. It has 104,000KM, and ive had it since july when it was at 84k. There was one day a few months ago where it didnt start but a jump did start it. Other than the gauges going for 2 mins on the trip, it did act kind of funny in cruise on the way home.

Im going to see if Canadian Tire will give me the list of codes they pulled when i go to get it taken to nissan, but any ideas on what may have happened here? Up until they said its throwing out a ton of codes and wont even start i thought it was the alternator.
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   Thread Starter #2
Official Member

Default Re: Car Wont Start, ABS And Brake Lights Stuck On

So got the codes, p1212, p1612, u1001, u1000, p0462
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

P1212 ABS/TCS Communication Line
P1612 NATS Malfunction
P0462 Fuel Level Sensor
U1000 CAN* Comm Circuit
U1010 CAN* Comm
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #4

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Is your car 2006?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

U1000 CAN* Comm Circuit
U1010 CAN* Comm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NTB06-009a.pdf (270.2 KB, 8 views)

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

2005 forgot to put it in there

Since it won't start and they won let you do anything on their property it's pretty much gotta go somewhere. I might check that out once it gets there since they have to wait to look at it though

Last edited by Jonwall; 03-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

P1212 ABS/TCS Communication Line

Saw this on another forum.

The cause of this problem was a dead short in the ABS control unit. The short was between the IPDM to ABS control unit. The red/black power feed was grounding out over bumps to the ABS actuator bracket.

n general to fix a short, the wire that is causing the short (usually damaged) is replaced with new wire. You also have to replace any fuses that have blown out due to the short.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Battery was there when I got it, been testing good with oil changes but that's never really accurate
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Sounds like you have this issue bro:

Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Man.... I bet that's exactly it. Just last week my girlfriend mentioned pennies falling in the gap. I'll let you guys know anyway once they check
Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Man.... I bet that's exactly it. Just last week my girlfriend mentioned pennies falling in the gap. I'll let you guys know anyway once they check
Yeah, that would do it.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #12

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 27
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

^^^^^^^^^^^^ good info

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

A penny saved is a penny earned. sorry just had too

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM   Thread Starter #14
Official Member

Guy at Nissan knew what I was talking about as soon as I started explaining that guys post, said he's seen it recently on another maxima. Already knew exactly which part it was.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #15

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Guy at Nissan knew what I was talking about as soon as I started explaining that guys post, said he's seen it recently on another maxima. Already knew exactly which part it was.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

He's fairly certain that's it but he may not be able to get to it til tomorrow morning. Hope that's all it is
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

blahhhh it cost me $1200. According to nissan the amp shorted out and fried, a few wires were damaged too in behind everything. So after 8 hours of labour and a $270 part its done.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 53
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Sounds like you have this issue bro:

Click the image to open in full size.
The same thing happened to another member here a few months back. Fortunetly for him, a member had a spare one lying around and he sold it to him.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM   Thread Starter #19
Official Member

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post

The same thing happened to another member here a few months back. Fortunetly for him, a member had a spare one lying around and he sold it to him.
Yeah in my case it turns out it took some wiring with it, which was the majority of the labour. I was tempted to just order the part myself and put it in, good thing i didnt bother lol.