Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 748

Reputation Level: 0
simi is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Car "Stutters" When Trying To Accelerate From Stop

I recently changed the spark plugs in my 2004 Maxima. Its been about 2 weeks and I recently started having problems with stuttering acceleration. Whenever I try to steadily accelerate from a stop, my car would "stutter", sort of go back and forth with the RPM while I press on the accelerator. If I hold it down at the same pace, it would stutter then very quickly accelerate from 2-4k RPM for a gear change. It would work fine though after the 1st gear change or if I accelerate from a stop with more power it doesn't stutter. Any idea what would be causing this? I try to drive steadily and this sort of jerks my car back and forth which is pretty annoying.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 06BlckMax; 05-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
simi is offline   Send a private message to simi Find more posts by simi Add simi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Car "Stutters" When Trying To Accelerate From Stop

Are you getting CEL light blinking or remaining on. If so what are the codes?
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Are you getting CEL light blinking or remaining on. If so what are the codes?
Im not getting ANY codes at all or any blinking, car drives perfect except for this issue.
simi is offline   Send a private message to simi Find more posts by simi Add simi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 9
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the ignition coils

"Every generation has to take its place in battling in the struggle for equality"

-Dr. Harry Thomas
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by simi View Post
Im not getting ANY codes at all or any blinking, car drives perfect except for this issue.
In that case what I think you have is a transmission related problem that you might not describe properly. I might be wrong, however, What you are describing are rough shifts. A missfire or vacuum leak would most likely trigger a P0300-p0306 code.
Did you unplug (disconnect)your throttle body during the spark plug change?
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
In that case what I think you have is a transmission related problem that you might not describe properly. I might be wrong, however, What you are describing are rough shifts. A missfire or vacuum leak would most likely trigger a P0300-p0306 code.
Did you unplug (disconnect)your throttle body during the spark plug change?
It does sound like rough shifting in a way, but only in first gear. Im not sure if the throttle body was disconnected, I had a local auto shop do it. I
Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM   Thread Starter #7

Just in case anyone wanted to know or has a similar problem, my air filter housing was hanging a bit "loose" off the engine and was causing the stuttering problem by I guess not getting air in there consistently? My mechanic thought about switching out the ignition coils but after checking under the hood, it ended up being a 5 minute tightening job with some WD-40.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #8

Official Member #: 183

carl1to is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the same issue right now. About 2 months ago, whenever I would slow down and stop, my engine would stutter and go back to normal. One day i slowed down and stopped and the engine started to stutter but this time it didn't go away. The check engine light did not turn on nor blink. I drove it home about 10 blocks away. I needed it running properly asap and had my mechanic (my dad) check it and it ended up being the front middle coil. I replaced the front 3 spark plugs and that one coil. 2 weeks later the stutter started happening again when I was slowing down to a stop. I left it alone. On Saturday the stutter didnt go away. Drove it home like that about 10 miles. I couldnt go over 45mph or else it would stutter even harder. My car sounded like a ducati. Check engine light kept randomly blinking this time. My dad checked it again with his diagnostics machine and said its one of the back coils this time. Said its a pain in the as5 to do the job. The solution im going for is that ill be replacing all coils and spark plugs.. Ill check for oil or moisture while im at it....

Let me know what you do, or ended up doing.
carl1to is offline   Send a private message to carl1to Find more posts by carl1to Add carl1to to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #9

Official Member #: 183

carl1to is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I replied to this post is because I actually logged into the forum to see if there is any information on which brand coils I should look into. The first topic to show up was this one... had to check it out..
carl1to is offline   Send a private message to carl1to Find more posts by carl1to Add carl1to to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by carl1to View Post
The reason I replied to this post is because I actually logged into the forum to see if there is any information on which brand coils I should look into. The first topic to show up was this one... had to check it out..
OEM coils is where id put my money. They certainly last.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 1576

Reputation Level: 9
hans66 is an unknown quantity at this point

CV Axles, bad bushings on front suspension. I'm going through the exact same problems. I just had both axles replaced and recently went to go check on them, and the rubber boots had small holes in them allowing all of the grease to now be coating the underside of my car. And the shaking is worse. I'm taking my car to the mechanic on Friday and having my rear motor mount and transmission mounts replaced (the passenger and front motor mounts have Red Lion MMI's already installed). But I don't want to pay to have the axles replaced and have them last only a couple of weeks. What is causing this!?

My car is lowered, if I would've known lowering my car would've caused this much hassle I would've never have done it and got rid of this darn fwd mess.

Last edited by hans66; 06-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
hans66 is offline   Send a private message to hans66 Find more posts by hans66 Add hans66 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top