Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 AM   Thread Starter #1
RezThread Starter
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4497

Reputation Level: 0
Rez is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Car Clicks And Won't Start, Battery??

Hey guys I have a 04 with 136k miles on it and just out of nowhere it started clicking when I try to start the car. I figured it was the battery, because I would try to roll the windows down and it could barely move the windows up and down. I've had this advanced auto parts gold battery for 2.5 years and it's still under warranty. Thus, I called a friend over to jump start my car and take it over there.

Advanced auto parts checks the battery and said nothing was wrong with it. It had good charge and whatnot. I also asked them to test the starter and alternator and they said both checked out to be just fine. The battery connectors are also clean. So they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It must be the battery because it could barely put my windows up and down right? And the knot way t worked was when i jump started the battery.

I drove the car for a few days afterwards, and it started just fine and it is now acing up again. It will hesitate on the starts amd then fire up. My dad now has the car and is using it as a commute car thus it is always running and not sitting around. The starter can't be bad as far as i know, because it is trying to engage via the click click click when I try to start.

Should i just ask advanced auto parts to replace the battery? I hate knowing that I gave my dad a faulty car for his commute. I did some research on the web about this, it seems as if though 90% of the time it's the battery.

I wonder how accurate those battery testers are? I also wonder since the car was just jump started if that had any effect on the readings that the battery gave out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys, you guys have helped me solve a great deal of my problems with my car, . Thanks
UNBOUND (03-31-2016)
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Car clicks and won't start, Battery??

Dont listen to advance. Its the battery. The reason you are getting the click sound from the starter is because you need a full 12 volts to engage it to rotate the fly wheel.

I say do not listen to them because i had the same issues and the battery tested fine as well but when installed my uncles battery in my car it fired right up. Demand a new battery or worst buy another

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Official Member #: 551

Reputation Level: 12
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Car Clicks And Won't Start, Battery??

definitely the battery
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Official Member #: 382

Reputation Level: 12
msnajkowski is on a distinguished road

Was there a light or something left on overnight. it may have drained your battery and when you jumped it and it ran, it recharged your battery. But it is battery related.
msnajkowski is offline   Send a private message to msnajkowski Find more posts by msnajkowski Add msnajkowski to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Official Member #: 3899

Reputation Level: 9
WIMax437 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like others said its the battery. Had this happen to me when I got out of the car I bumped the lights and my parking lights where left on over night. Just needed a jump and then it was fine.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 556

Reputation Level: 9
Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not the voltage, it's the amperage. Just because the battery shows 12 volts doesn't mean its putting out the necessary cranking amps. Must have some amateurs working at that place.