Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1405

Reputation Level: 0
zorgo69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default A/C Rough Idle Problem On 2006 SL

Hello all, I am having an issue with my 2006 SL. When I turn on the air conditioner the car idles really rough and shakes and vibrates like crazy. As soon as I turn it off it settles back down. If I run just the blower, it does not do this. Are there any thoughts on what this could be? I am not getting any check engine codes or anything like that. Thanks in advance, Doug.
zorgo69 is offline   Send a private message to zorgo69 Find more posts by zorgo69 Add zorgo69 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   Thread Starter #2

Default Re: A/C Rough Idle Problem On 2006 SL

Anyone out there?

Bump.
zorgo69 is offline   Send a private message to zorgo69 Find more posts by zorgo69 Add zorgo69 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by zorgo69 View Post
Anyone out there?

Bump.
You need to take it to a reputable shop and have it diagnosed. This is over the level of usual backyard job considering you need to knoledge of AC high sides low sides and posess AC manifold/gauge set as well as a vac pump
Either your AC compressor is seaizing up or your freon pressures are too high making your compressor work really hard.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 PM   Thread Starter #4

Thanks Burnt Orange. I was hoping someone had a similar experience and would be able to relate it to what I am experiencing. I do not think it is low on freon, my guess is that it is the compressor. My car has been touchy lately. First, the max began overheating the first week I was in Texas (I hate the Longhorns, but do not mind the state). I figured that one out (fusible link that controls the radiator fans was blown), then I had a blowout on the way back down here from Omaha. Now, I have a blown out driver's side HID bulb (thank god for HIDPalace.com) and a blown driver's side foglight bulb. Then to top it off, I have the car idling rough and shaking only when I turn on the A/C. I do not think my car likes Texas
BurntOrangeAppeal (05-18-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:42 PM   Thread Starter #5

I talked to a shop today and they said it is probably not the compressor since it is still blowing cold air. He mentioned that there was a solenoid that controls idle when you turn on the a/c and that could be it. Does anyone know where this solenoid is located? Thanks, Doug.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM   Thread Starter #6

**Update**

I took the car to Meineke last Saturday and they replaced the harmonic balancer and changed the spark plugs. This did not help the shuddering and shaking and seemed to make it worse. I am currently fighting with Meineke over the cost and the lack of solutions (I would not reccomend taking your car to Meineke in Wichita Falls, TX). I was told cleaning the throttle body might help, so I did and it did not help. While I was messing with it, I noticed the butterfly is loose. I am wondering if this would cause my problem? Would this cause a vaccuum leak? If so, what are the vaccuum leak symptoms? I am trying to fix this annoying problem without putting too much money down the rabbit hole. Any insights or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

**Update**

I took the car to Meineke last Saturday and they replaced the harmonic balancer and changed the spark plugs. This did not help the shuddering and shaking and seemed to make it worse. I am currently fighting with Meineke over the cost and the lack of solutions (I would not reccomend taking your car to Meineke in Wichita Falls, TX). I was told cleaning the throttle body might help, so I did and it did not help. While I was messing with it, I noticed the butterfly is loose. I am wondering if this would cause my problem? Would this cause a vaccuum leak? If so, what are the vaccuum leak symptoms? I am trying to fix this annoying problem without putting too much money down the rabbit hole. Any insights or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug.
What happened to checking the compressor? Can you post a "detailed" picture or video of you AC clutch face. You stated that your vehicle studders while the AC is on only, has that changed? Also need to see the vid of the throttle body butterfly as "loose butterfly" can be interpreted in many ways.
Your batterfly should not be loose and wiggling due to fact that the plate screws s are loose as its a fairly common problem on the Sentra Specs.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM   Thread Starter #8

Burnt orange, Meineke checked all of the A/C stuff and it checked out fine. The air blows nice and cold, which usually rules out the compressor. I tried the idle relearn and that did not help. My car is idling at a crisp 1250 rpm I cleaned the throttle body last night, but that did not help. I am wondering if it is the iac or the tps. If not, maybe it is the throttle body. The butterfly seems loose and there is space in between both ends (it does not fully seal within the cylinder), is this normal? I am going to take the throttle body off and clean it really well and tighten the butterfly and see if that helps.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM   Thread Starter #9

**Another update**
Now when I start my car the idle spikes all the way up to 2000 rpm. It eventually goes down a little bit but is still idling at 1250-1500 rpms. My car also feels like the throttle body is always open. When I let go off of the brake, the car goes forward very quickly. When I am cruising, if I let off of the gas pedal it maintains the speed as if the cruise control was set. Very weird. I am wondering if I should replace the throttle body? I may try unplugging the fuel injectors and doing the relearn again and see if that works. Also, does anyone know if the throttle bodies on eBay (Hitachi) are legit? I was looking at one, but it did not look like it had both plug--ins for the sensors.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Burnt Orange

**Another update**
Now when I start my car the idle spikes all the way up to 2000 rpm. It eventually goes down a little bit but is still idling at 1250-1500 rpms. My car also feels like the throttle body is always open. When I let go off of the brake, the car goes forward very quickly. When I am cruising, if I let off of the gas pedal it maintains the speed as if the cruise control was set. Very weird. I am wondering if I should replace the throttle body? I may try unplugging the fuel injectors and doing the relearn again and see if that works. Also, does anyone know if the throttle bodies on eBay (Hitachi) are legit? I was looking at one, but it did not look like it had both plug--ins for the sensors.
First you need to scan the vehicle and make sure you have no codes in ANY of the modules, then you need to do a idle air re-learn as well as throttle body relearns. You must meet other conditions prior to doing so. One of them is No DTC, no electrical loads, engine warmed up,no lights,parking brake applied, doors closed, steering wheel centered...Doing the relearns manually is a bit difficult. Even if you buy and replace the throttle body(Buy OEM) you will need to perform relearns. Doing the relearns with a scan tool is a breeze. Not saying that it cant be done but most novice will not perform this procedure correctly....if you cant perform tgis and you are 100% sure you have no codes after scanning, have a shop or dealer perform relearns.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM   Thread Starter #11

Thanks for the advice burnt orange. I had never heard of electric throttle bodies until now. I think I like the old school throttle cable type better.I took the throttle body off tonight and cleaned it. That did not fix the problem. I am starting to wonder if I should put my VIAS back on (I currently have a nwp block off plate installed)? I have a fsm, so I am going to try the procedures below and see what happens.

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning UBS00914
DESCRIPTION
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator
pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time
harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning UBS00915
DESCRIPTION
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by
monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of
electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.
OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.
EC-48
BASIC SERVICE PROCEDURE
Idle Air Volume Learning UBS00916
DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific
range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
_ Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
_ Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.
PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
_ Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
_ Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100C (158 - 212F)
_ PNP switch: ON
_ Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
_ Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
_ Vehicle speed: Stopped
_ Transmission: Warmed-up
For models without CONSULT-II, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.
Without CONSULT-II
NOTE:
_ It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
_ It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit
has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-47, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-47, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops
blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 2035

Reputation Level: 10
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

You may disconnect your battery overnight. That sometimes works as a relearn procedure.[It worked on a friend's 5.5 gen] Apparently you didn't unplug the battery when you fiddled with the tb.

Last edited by Costee; 06-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Maximus350 (06-15-2013)
Costee is offline   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2089

Reputation Level: 9
Maximus350 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Maximus350's Facebook

I may try unplugging the fuel injectors and doing the relearn again and see if that works.
After cleaning my throttle body last year, I experienced the launching forward and high idle issues. After 2 months of trying. Disconnection 1 injector and excecuting the relearn properly fixed my idle. It used to spike up to 2000rpms. It has been at a steady 700 ever since.

The relearn won't work with a high idle.

www.NuttyWorldGraphics.com Coming Soon!
See More On My Facebook Page
Maximus350 is offline   Send a private message to Maximus350 Find more posts by Maximus350 Add Maximus350 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   Thread Starter #14

Thanks for the input everyone. I did get the P0507 code tonight. This makes me think that I do need a new throttle body. I am going to slap that bad-boy on there and try the relearn and see if that works.

Mods : K & N fipk, NWP vias block off-plate, Type RS cat-back exhaust, debadged....

Go Big Red!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:59 PM   Thread Starter #15

I received my remanufactured throttle body and installed it tonight. The a/c problem seems to be fixed, but now the idle is jumping from 1250 to 2000 rpms while the car is in park. I tried the manual idle relearn procedure a couple of times and it did not work. I am going to try unplugging some fuel injectors and try the manual relearn and see if that works. If it does not, I am going to have to take it to the dealer

Mods : K & N fipk, NWP vias block off-plate, Type RS cat-back exhaust, debadged....

Go Big Red!!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM   Thread Starter #16

I managed to do the idle relearn today (the key seemed to be starting the car right after the SES light went solid) and now the car is idling good but still shakes when the a/c is turned on. I have replaced the harmonic balancer, the throttle body, and I have successfully completed the idle relearn. According to the fsm, I either have a vaccuum leak or a bad ecu? Anyone have any thoughts?

Go Big Red!!

Last edited by zorgo69; 06-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   Thread Starter #17

My car has been running good since I did the idle relearn, but now it is eating up fusible links everytime I turn on the air conditioning. It always blows the link the contains the radiator fans and the ingnition switch. Luckily the ignition switch never blows, but it instantly makes the car overheat if I am idling for any amount of time Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think I am going to take it to the Nissan dealer when I get back to Omaha.

Go Big Red!!