Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:43 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3764

Reputation Level: 8
kemoblue4u is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Bolt Heads Broke Off

Had to replace the rear bumper today and I got everything off(broke some clips along the way not a big deal) Well when i pulled back the trunk liner to get the 4 bolts(2 on each side) I managed to get the first one out cleanly, the second came out about 3/4 of the way before it snapped. The other two on the left side snapped as well. Now they're stuck in the brakets. Here what they look like now

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the only thing keeping me from ompletely putting on the bumper. I dont want to buy new brackets if only i could get em out.

I just have two questions... Which bolt extraction kit do you guys recommend? Im researching and seeing all different kinds with different ends.

If you were a mechanic how much would you charge to remove them? I'm goign to call a few up but figure it still would be good to ask in case i cant get em myself. Id honestly rather just do it myself, I love working on my car for small jobs such as this.

THANK YOU! any help would be appreciated.
kemoblue4u is offline   Send a private message to kemoblue4u Find more posts by kemoblue4u Add kemoblue4u to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 3739

maxline5708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Bolt Heads Broke Off

Before you start drilling try to heat the bolts up and or spray on pb blaster, wd40 and let it soak really good and use a set of vice grips and place the whole braket in a secure location. Preferably a vice and see if you can remove this way. If you heat it up be carefull so that you do not damage the threads on the bracket. If no luck there try drilling with the smallest drill bit u have apply wd40 while doing so. Each time you fully penetrate the bolt go up a size in drill bits untill 3/4 of bolt has been drilled out and you should be able to brake bolt and remove... These techniques may not work for you but with past experiences they have helped me

Take a look at my build thread:http://my6thgen.org/f13/maxlines-05-...-redrum-21177/

Last edited by maxline5708; 03-28-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spelling... stupid auto correct
djliquidice (03-28-2013), kemoblue4u (03-31-2013), Latinmaxima (03-28-2013)
maxline5708 is offline   Send a private message to maxline5708 Find more posts by maxline5708 Add maxline5708 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

Official Member #: 3125

Reputation Level: 9
allblackmax607 is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^good info. If it dont work, take it to a mechanic. It should cost too much. The first time I took the seats out of my jeep I bolt heads broke, my mechanic charged me like $20 bucks to drill them out.
allblackmax607 is offline   Send a private message to allblackmax607 Find more posts by allblackmax607 Add allblackmax607 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Grab the backside of the bolt with a pair of vice grips and twist them out. You'll be running the bolt back into the bracket, but they should come right out.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by maxline5708 View Post
Before you start drilling try to heat the bolts up and or spray on pb blaster, wd40 and let it soak really good and use a set of vice grips and place the whole braket in a secure location. Preferably a vice and see if you can remove this way. If you heat it up be carefull so that you do not damage the threads on the bracket. If no luck there try drilling with the smallest drill bit u have apply wd40 while doing so. Each time you fully penetrate the bolt go up a size in drill bits untill 3/4 of bolt has been drilled out and you should be able to brake bolt and remove... These techniques may not work for you but with past experiences they have helped me
I tried pb blaster as soon as it happened and tried to use pliers. Ill get some vice grip locking pliers at sears tomorrow or something. If that doesnt work a set of vice grip pliers is a great tool in any kit. The last one is really short i doubt id get a grip on em. If this doesnt work ill just take it to a mechanic and try to toss him like 20 bucks lol they should be use to this problem.

THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!
kemoblue4u is offline   Send a private message to kemoblue4u Find more posts by kemoblue4u Add kemoblue4u to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Bought some vise grips today. Took like 2 minutes to get use to as i had never used em before. A MUST HAVE FOR ANY TOOL KIT! Worked like a charm thank you so much for the solution!!! The first one took ten minutes as it was the longest bolt but the rest were out in less than a minute after i got use to it!!!

Maximus350 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 3739

maxline5708 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kemoblue4u View Post
Bought some vise grips today. Took like 2 minutes to get use to as i had never used em before. A MUST HAVE FOR ANY TOOL KIT! Worked like a charm thank you so much for the solution!!! The first one took ten minutes as it was the longest bolt but the rest were out in less than a minute after i got use to it!!!

I am extremly happy that my advice helped you out. as i said before this has saved my gone end numerous times. Any pic of that bumper mounted?? Naked sure to soak in on blaster prior to instaló to about this problem again.

Take a look at my build thread:http://my6thgen.org/f13/maxlines-05-...-redrum-21177/
maxline5708 is offline   Send a private message to maxline5708 Find more posts by maxline5708 Add maxline5708 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2013, 05:50 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

I am extremly happy that my advice helped you out. as i said before this has saved my gone end numerous times. Any pic of that bumper mounted?? Naked sure to soak in on blaster prior to instaló to about this problem again.
I havent gotten around to fully mounting the bumper yet it is being held on by the two screws under the taillights and the clips i didnt manage to break while getting off the old bumper. I have the next three day off and im tired as hell and wont be picking up any shifts lmao so itll get done tomorrow most likely.