Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM   Thread Starter #1
Premier Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default Blower Motor Replacement

I think the blower motor in the car is going out. It is doing just like the one that recently went out in my work van. The fan speed is varying in both the auto and manual settings. Volt meter doesn't show a spike or drop in the voltage in the cars' electrical system. Only thing i can think of is the blower motor. It does not look too difficult to change from looking at the FSM. Remove the glove box and ECM and the blower unit is held in with eight clip tabs and drops straight down when the tabs are released.

Looking for input if anyone has had this issue or replaced the blower motor before. It looks easy but i thought changing the heater core on a 97 Taurus would be easy. That was a cluster fuck that involved disassembling the entire lower dash and dropping the steering column to get room for my sausage fingers to fit. Only took 14 hours.

I may have neglected the in cabin filter for about 35k-40k miles. One of those things that you do not think about until you notice the air flow is diminished. BUT i did replace it a few months back while the blower motor was functioning correctly. Could be my own fault that it is going out. My extended warranty just ran out on August 1st too. It is what it is, maintenance on a car that is getting some age on it.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Blower Motor Replacement

I had an issue with the blower on a 98 Altima I had. First speed 1 went out, then 2, then 3, until it only blew on the highest setting. Turned out it was the blower motor resistor. I replaced it and everything was fine. I know this is a little different than your problem, but wanted to throw it out there.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   Thread Starter #3
Premier Member

DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

I thought about that too.

Some of my thoughts. I like troubleshooting shit.

It is called a resistor because way back when they first did the multi-speed function, there was actually an bank of resistors that varied the amount of power going to the blower motor which was controlled by the speed switch in the dash. Today, i think it now utilizes a high power transistor(but is still called a resistor) so there is only three wires needed and parts are minimal.

By varying the voltage from the unified meter and a/c amp to the base of the transistor it controls the amount of power coming from the collector and out of the emitter to the fan blower. I wish the FSM went into more detail on the subject though.

New cars have too many damn computers and control modules in them for the average person to be able to troubleshoot without an electronics degree. I miss my 2nd gen. Everything i ever had to fix on it was easy to troubleshoot and it was before i got my degree.

DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
Peoria's Finest Majestic

Official Member #: 4414

Reputation Level: 8
MaxiM1923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit MaxiM1923's Xbox Gamercard

Is it possible to connect an extra one for the rear?? It always gets hot in the rear and it only blows a little on high in front and takes loooong before it cools.. Not trying to thread jack but didn't wanna do a new one and kinda same topic sorry if it bothers someone
MaxiM1923 is offline   Send a private message to MaxiM1923 Find more posts by MaxiM1923 Add MaxiM1923 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2012, 02:57 AM   Thread Starter #5
Premier Member

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

My rears do not blow very hard and the air is no where near as cold as the front.

Distance and a lack of insulation is why. Its would take an additional blower to increase the air flow or a redesign of the blend door to push more air to the rear vents. Increasing air flow is not worth it in my opinion while a little insulation around the vents could make the air colder.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
I think the blower motor in the car is going out. It is doing just like the one that recently went out in my work van. The fan speed is varying in both the auto and manual settings. Volt meter doesn't show a spike or drop in the voltage in the cars' electrical system. Only thing i can think of is the blower motor. It does not look too difficult to change from looking at the FSM. Remove the glove box and ECM and the blower unit is held in with eight clip tabs and drops straight down when the tabs are released.

Looking for input if anyone has had this issue or replaced the blower motor before. It looks easy but i thought changing the heater core on a 97 Taurus would be easy. That was a cluster fuck that involved disassembling the entire lower dash and dropping the steering column to get room for my sausage fingers to fit. Only took 14 hours.

I may have neglected the in cabin filter for about 35k-40k miles. One of those things that you do not think about until you notice the air flow is diminished. BUT i did replace it a few months back while the blower motor was functioning correctly. Could be my own fault that it is going out. My extended warranty just ran out on August 1st too. It is what it is, maintenance on a car that is getting some age on it.
Sorry Don. Can't help you out on this one. Haven't done one on a 6 gen and up yet. Done a few older Maxes. Sounds to me like it could be a blower motor. I would get in there and probe a for a voltage drop directly on the motor. If there is a draw, then the motor is slowing down and kicking back up in speed(in manual mode)
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #7

Official Member #: 5013

Reputation Level: 0
mitch609 is an unknown quantity at this point

2004 maxi blower motor just stoped working looking at fuse block i found two fuses labeled blower both also marked ing. car starts so is there a relay or something else i should check. any or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mitch609; 09-03-2012 at 04:45 PM.
mitch609 is offline   Send a private message to mitch609 Find more posts by mitch609 Add mitch609 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM   Thread Starter #8
Premier Member

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

If you checked the fuses and did not find any blown, then if you still want to diagnose, then check to see if you have voltage at the blower motor. You have voltage there then look for the "fan control amplifier" on the bottom of the blower motor. Check for an input voltage from the "unified meter ac amp" and an output voltage from the blower meter into the "fan control amplifier". Which ever one you do not have voltage on is the problem. Or if you have voltage on both then it is the "fan control amplifier".

The blower resistor is indeed a large transistor as shown in the schematic as the "fan control amplifier". It controls the amount of ground the motor has instead the amount of power. No ground=no power flow.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Official Member #: 5013

Reputation Level: 0
mitch609 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys it was the resistor the fix was 115.00 and 10min...
mitch609 is offline   Send a private message to mitch609 Find more posts by mitch609 Add mitch609 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top