Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default AC Return Hose Leakage

Hi there,
About 2 weeks ago I found out that my AC wasn't cooling as it did when I bought the car., therefore I bought a gauge for checking the line pressure and yes, the pressure was low. I partialy filled it with freon and I waited to see if the pressure would drop again or not. The other day I was taking a look under the hood and I spot a extremely small leakage on the AC Return Line were the rubber hose joints in the aluminum housing. My question is how can I stop this leak....It's extremely tiny and I can estimate that it leaks about 3ml pe week...I don't know what to do, I tried Epoxy but it didn't work. Please help me out
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube
Default Re: AC Return Hose Leakage

Order the hose from courtesyparts.com. It's like $116.80. It literally rook me about 30 minutes to reinstall the new hose.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 15
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

Wait, how old is your car, and is it under warantee? Last time I had a leak on mine, and I took my car in for something else. My car was under 5y/60k and they changed it for me. If it's still under warantee you might want to try that.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

it's 2005 and it's under 50000 miles....but I'm not sure if they cover it because of the low mileage....I don't want to change the hose for now....I just want to seal it from outside for now...Any ideas what can seal it guys? Since this is a general defect in all maximas....I don't tend to swap it with another defective part...there is no point in changing it. I am about to find how I can seal this leak, hopefully once I find the way to fix this, I'll make a thread for it.
Do we have such an adhessive which will dry super fast and hold up tight on cold surfaces?
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 330

Reputation Level: 22
QMaxx will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Never heard of a car not being covered because of low miles.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #6

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

I dont believe this is a normal thing to go bad, this is maybe the second time i have heard of this. I would just do it right the first time and fix it with a new hose. Why keep adding freon. good luck

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #7

Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
it's 2005 and it's under 50000 miles....but I'm not sure if they cover it because of the low mileage....I don't want to change the hose for now....I just want to seal it from outside for now...Any ideas what can seal it guys? Since this is a general defect in all maximas....I don't tend to swap it with another defective part...there is no point in changing it. I am about to find how I can seal this leak, hopefully once I find the way to fix this, I'll make a thread for it.
Do we have such an adhessive which will dry super fast and hold up tight on cold surfaces?
this is a very a BAD idea.... if you have a leak that means the oil and refridgerant is leaking out. when the compressor and condensor do not have sufficient oil to run, they shut off or even worse, start breaking.

although, yes, this is a common problem with all nissans, it is best to get this fixed with either an OEM replacement or another source. some places actually sell aftermarket hoses for this area.

I replaced mine with the stock part because i know that it will last for a while. and since its so easy to fix, God forbid it should go bad again, i know how to fix it and where to get the part and how much i will spend.

i really suggest you buy a new low side AC hose to replace the bad one because if the compressor/condensor do break... those fixes are EXTREMELY COSTLY.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

No Qmaxx, I meant, although I have low miles on it, but the period of 3-5years are passed and I don't think the warranty cover it because my car is 6 years old.

Well I'm gonna try to fix this leak externally without openning the hose, if successful, I will charge the system with the freon.
I searched for this part(low pressure hose) and I found the parts.com has the lowest price(It's about 88$).

Still, does anyone know about the adhessive type I'm looking for?(such adhessive which will dry super fast and hold up tight on cold surfaces)
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

No Qmaxx, I meant, although I have low miles on it, but the period of 3-5years are passed and I don't think the warranty cover it because my car is 6 years old.

Well I'm gonna try to fix this leak externally without openning the hose, if successful, I will charge the system with the freon.
I searched for this part(low pressure hose) and I found the parts.com has the lowest price(It's about 88$).

Still, does anyone know about the adhessive type I'm looking for?(such adhessive which will dry super fast and hold up tight on cold surfaces)
Im not sure this is a great idea. These hoses are under alot pressure...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

order the hose.

go to your local home depot or Lowes and go to the plumbing section. they have tape that they put on plumbing lines that should work.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

DO NOT RIG THE LINE! Order the hose, fix it correctly, and be done with it.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:08 AM   Thread Starter #12
Official Member

Damn, I gotta buy the hose.....nothing seems to hold up against this gas....It's not fixable unless you open the hose....OK you guys....thanks for the advice, I will buy the hose eventually....Gotta wait a few days to let the line lose its pressure....I am out ordering the hose. damn, I hate to see such careless defects.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #13

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Damn, I gotta buy the hose.....nothing seems to hold up against this gas....It's not fixable unless you open the hose....OK you guys....thanks for the advice, I will buy the hose eventually....Gotta wait a few days to let the line lose its pressure....I am out ordering the hose. damn, I hate to see such careless defects.
buy the hose, take it to your local mechanic and let them do it. that way he can flush everything out of the system, install the hose, and properly recharge the system and fill it to what it's supposed to be at. a recharge can will not properly recharge your system fully. its meant for a quick fix.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 AM   Thread Starter #14
Official Member

Hey Guys,
I just have a question in line with changing the hose. What kind of lubricant should I use for lubricating the hose's O-ring?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I've been told a little motor oil works fine.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

I got a quote from a local shop for changing the hose(which I buy seperately myself), vaccum, wash, lubricating and phreon charging for 150. Is it a fair price for this labor guys? He said that he wouldn't take responibility if I change the hose myself. but otherwise he will gaurantee it.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #17

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

yeah, thats about right. i would do that.

also, i used some of the existing freon to lube the ends.

Our shop charges $90 just for an AC service so $150 is a good price.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Seems like an OK price to me...
Old 09-05-2011, 04:47 AM   Thread Starter #19
Official Member

Still haven't bought the hose, and I found the other night a direct replacement hose by a company called "Four Seasons" which was incredibelly twice expensive as Nissan OEM hose. Has anyone used this brand? Any feedbacks?
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #20

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 10
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

use your warranty i had a pre-cat replaced under warranty march of this year and i have a 04 and it had 54,000 miles you should still be covered.
bhp4202 is offline   Send a private message to bhp4202 Find more posts by bhp4202 Add bhp4202 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM   Thread Starter #21
Official Member

I asked the dealersip but they said that it's not covered by the warranty