Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 657

Reputation Level: 9
Stack is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default AC Question After Replacing Hose

So the low pressure suction AC hose has been leaking for a while and I am now getting around to replacing it and had a couple of questions.

I know this is a very common problem on our cars due to the bad crimps on the hose and I was wondering if the part I buy from Nissan would be an "updated" version of this part with better crimps or should I buy it from a specific place for a better hose.

Also when I do replace this hose, Would it be ok to just refil it using the can I can buy at O'Reilly or should I take it to an AC shop and have them properly evac and refill?
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube
Default Re: AC Question After Replacing Hose

I would stick with the oem line. I replaced mine with the oem part and it has been just fine.

As for the refill, take it to a shop. That can is supposed to be for temporary fixes. Get your system properly recharged. And to replace the hose you need to have no pressure in your system so it would be beneficial to just let the shop do it all.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

I agree with Nick. I believe AC work is something left for the pros...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Ok thanks for the advice I'll call around and see what prices I come up with
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

I recently gone through changing the low pressure hose and here is what I did. I found a hose on ebay by a company called 4 seasons. I bought it for 78 bucks and free shipping. The Item name is : "Four Seasons 55121 Suction Line". Since I found out that the same problem persisted even with the 7th gen maximas and even altimas, I decided to go other than oem. I took the hose to a near shop and they asked for 150 bucks for changing, cleaning and lubricating the system for me. For now I'm happy and the ac works like a charm. I can't tell you whether this hose will go bad in 2 years or not and even if it does still I saved a couple of bucks there. It's given that oem hoses go bad, Such a disappointment from Nissan.
NiZMo1o1 (06-17-2012)
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

When I talked to Nissan about the hose they did say that they sell a new part but couldn't tell me if the crimp issue had been solved. After the wholesale discount it would be $125.

Firestone quoted me around $450 to do it all. If the AC machine is the only difference I think I might be able to borrow one from a friend that has a shop.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I recently gone through changing the low pressure hose and here is what I did. I found a hose on ebay by a company called 4 seasons. I bought it for 78 bucks and free shipping. The Item name is : "Four Seasons 55121 Suction Line". Since I found out that the same problem persisted even with the 7th gen maximas and even altimas, I decided to go other than oem. I took the hose to a near shop and they asked for 150 bucks for changing, cleaning and lubricating the system for me. For now I'm happy and the ac works like a charm. I can't tell you whether this hose will go bad in 2 years or not and even if it does still I saved a couple of bucks there. It's given that oem hoses go bad, Such a disappointment from Nissan.
Altho I had my line leak but not from the ends,

your last statement I must agree as I had a Hydraulics crimp new ends to my power steering line which seems like a common issues, I talk to the owner and said the same thing you stated , which is common sense for the dealers to do that , spend the money on body and engine but cheap out on little parts so that we the owners must go back to them.

Sometimes having shops that can do this makes a difference having the exisiting part improved.

but some owners dont have the resources in their area for that.

to the OP I would stick with the OEM if you don't have shops local that can crimp the ends for you.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Official Member #: 5195

Reputation Level: 0
targus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys i am having the upper ac hose leak problem on my 05 maxima . I have to recharge it with freon for the last three summer ever since i have the car i had to refill it with freon to have the ac working during the hot summer days where can i find a cheap autoparts store that sell this suction line hose for a cheap price .

I search online but the cheapest i can find it is for $ 100 dollars and i am not sure if the lower hose has to be replace as well but what i do know is that the upper one is leaking because the mechanic had put a dye on it and there is a green film on top of it i went back to get check out he said the upper hose is leaking . Should change the lower one too ?
targus is offline   Send a private message to targus Find more posts by targus Add targus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

When we say the low side AC hose, we are talking about the hose directly in front of the dipstick. If you've had to recharge your AC for 3 years in a row, I am absolutely shocked that your whole AC system hasn't taken a shit yet. By just recharging and not fixing the problem you are letting the problem get worse each time. The hole will just keep growing.

Replace the "low side" AC hose and then re-assess your situation.
1hawaii50 (08-04-2012)
Nismo4Life07 is offline   Send a private message to Nismo4Life07 Find more posts by Nismo4Life07 Add Nismo4Life07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Simply recharging the system is a band-aid. If you have to recharge your system, then there is a leak...the system is sealed. If you have a leak, you can/are getting moisture in the system...this will cause all kinds of headaches down the road and will lead to a HUGE expense to fix.

You also will not find this hose for cheap...go to the dealer and buy the hose...this is not something you want to have to fix again in another year.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

I didn't realize I never updated this thread but I did buy the hose from the dealer for $125. Its normally around $150 but since I have a wholesale account is 20% less. I ended up replacing the hose myself (Took around 30 mins to do) then drove to a shop owned by a buddy of mine to recharge the system (I owe him lunch).

We had a temp gun to the vents while the AC was on full blast and it slowly dropped from 60 to 38 degrees!

For Targus: The hose that you say is leaking for sure, Is that the same hose you recharge through? Because that is the low side suction hose which I replaced and is a very common issue on our cars. I believe the high pressure hose is all metal and I doubt thats your issue. Here's a diagram if it helps. The red arrow points to the low side suction hose that I replaced.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #12

Official Member #: 5195

Reputation Level: 0
targus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stack View Post
I didn't realize I never updated this thread but I did buy the hose from the dealer for $125. Its normally around $150 but since I have a wholesale account is 20% less. I ended up replacing the hose myself (Took around 30 mins to do) then drove to a shop owned by a buddy of mine to recharge the system (I owe him lunch).

We had a temp gun to the vents while the AC was on full blast and it slowly dropped from 60 to 38 degrees!

For Targus: The hose that you say is leaking for sure, Is that the same hose you recharge through? Because that is the low side suction hose which I replaced and is a very common issue on our cars. I believe the high pressure hose is all metal and I doubt thats your issue. Here's a diagram if it helps. The red arrow points to the low side suction hose that I replaced.

Click the image to open in full size.
You absoulutely right that the one i need i have to fix it as soon as possible . I order the wrong hose thinking it was the high pressure but it is the low now i have to send it back to autoparts warehouse
targus is offline   Send a private message to targus Find more posts by targus Add targus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top