Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1494

Reputation Level: 13
twisted1 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Default ABS Light On... Wacky Revs & Speed

2004...5speed...80,000miles

something is wrong with my car, so im gonna try to expalin it simple to see if anyone ever had this happen.

start car put in D; start driving...speedo itsnt moving; kinda hanging around 10mph and im doing 40mph... abs light comes on and needle goes to correct speed.. everything is working fine but have abs light on..... ok now i start to slow down... when car downshifts the revs will drop from 2000 to around 500 and then go back up to 2000.....

all of these problems happen only when that abs light stays on... but my speedo is wacky intill the light comes on.. wtf! any advice would be wonderful and im gonna make a vid of the speedo in alittle bit for yall
Stillen lip kit, black housed headlamps, 370z 18s, 350z 17's on drs, blue led fogs, aem wideband o2,apexi safcll, 75shot zex wet kit, skunk2 cans, custom y&b pipes, 3rd cat & resonator delete, magnaflow precats, nwp spacers, kn cai, and walbro 255 still in box. Dyno #s coming soon....

Last edited by twisted1; 03-30-2011 at 05:19 PM.
twisted1 is offline   Send a private message to twisted1 Find more posts by twisted1 Add twisted1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: ABS Light On... Wacky Revs & Speed

What year/trans?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Default Re: abs light on... wacky revs & speed

Your ABS sensor may be bad, what code do you get? I know on the Big org some folk are having this kind of issue. Whats mileage do you have, I am not sure if warranty will cover it. Also the sensor is around 200

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
What year/trans?
04 5speed.. i put it up in my first post for others. I'm thinking maybe they broke that sensor when they installed my wheels....
Stillen lip kit, black housed headlamps, 370z 18s, 350z 17's on drs, blue led fogs, aem wideband o2,apexi safcll, 75shot zex wet kit, skunk2 cans, custom y&b pipes, 3rd cat & resonator delete, magnaflow precats, nwp spacers, kn cai, and walbro 255 still in box. Dyno #s coming soon....
twisted1 is offline   Send a private message to twisted1 Find more posts by twisted1 Add twisted1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
Your ABS sensor may be bad, what code do you get? I know on the Big org some folk are having this kind of issue. Whats mileage do you have, I am not sure if warranty will cover it. Also the sensor is around 200
no check engine light.... its just the abs light
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

It should still give you a code, take it to autozone and get a free ceck and let us know what that code is. I still believe one of your abs sensors are bad

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM   Thread Starter #7

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 AM   Thread Starter #8

Bump
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

when did this start happening ? after you put wheels on ? any other mods recently added ?

who installed the wheels ? in some ways it sounds like its in limp mode but since the CEL doesnt flashes ,

its sounds like a faulty ABS itself, the sensors would cause viberation in your sterring wheel.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM   Thread Starter #10

http://s657.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=4572c164.mp4

in this link is a vid i made of speedo.... i go threw all the gears and speedo dosnt read mph till abs light comes on... check it out
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

That is weird.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

ok thats a first for me but that seems like the speedo needs to be re-caliberated,

its deff not the tranny or brakes, I would try to reset the ECU/ disconnect the battery overnight , hopefully this may recalibrate it.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 AM   Thread Starter #13

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
ok thats a first for me but that seems like the speedo needs to be re-caliberated,

its deff not the tranny or brakes, I would try to reset the ECU/ disconnect the battery overnight , hopefully this may recalibrate it.
K I'll try that way. The other way with pumping the gas pedal an counting to 10 an shit ain't working
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

I think it is a problem with one of the wheel sensors since there is not SES light. I'm not a mechanic but i think logically and am sometimes right and other times wrong. I posted up some screen shots from the FSM to support why a problem with the the ABS system would affect the speedometer. Could the wheel shop have caused the ABS system to malfunction by using an impact wrench or simply by removing and installing the wheels and loosening up some brake dust/rust, sure, but i could also be coincidence as you get just as much vibration if not more from everyday driving, especially down a rough patch of road.

First off the wheel sensors are the primary source for vehicle speed. First pic is from the 6th gen FSM and the second is from the 6.5 gen FSM(it shows a purdy diagram and i doubt anything changed between the two generations).

Shows that a DTC 0P500 code will be shown when the signal from the Unified Meter/AC amp is not correct. But not readable by a GST(Generic Scan Tool), only the Consult during an "Data Monitor" test. Also possible causes.

How the wheel sensors work and a description of the "Fail Safe Mode". Does your car have TCS? It was an option on the 6th gen but standard on the 6.5 gen. If your car does not have TCS that may be why the "Slip" light does not illuminate. The wheel sensor system works by magnetic fields and loose rust and brake dust would be drawn to the sensor rotor impacting the magnetic flux to the actual sensor.

These two sensors report speed to the TCM primarily for smoother shift points. The TCM could also be reporting the speed signal to the Unified Meter/AC Amp for the speedometer as a redundancy. Would explain why the speedometer starts working after the ABS detects a fault. Or the ABS could be using one or more working wheel sensors to send signal for the speedometer and it goes to normal when it senses the faulty sensor and starts ignoring it. Also if either one of these sensors failed then it would trigger and SES light and the code could be read with a GST. No SES light so they are not the problem.

Where your wheel sensors are.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
lockMAX (03-03-2012)
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM   Thread Starter #15

when the abs light comes on i can hear this humming droid noise for about 2 second then stops. I think its the abs unit turning on? do they usually just turn on when you start the car?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #16

Official Member #: 1345

Reputation Level: 9
lockMAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
I think it is a problem with one of the wheel sensors since there is not SES light. I'm not a mechanic but i think logically and am sometimes right and other times wrong. I posted up some screen shots from the FSM to support why a problem with the the ABS system would affect the speedometer. Could the wheel shop have caused the ABS system to malfunction by using an impact wrench or simply by removing and installing the wheels and loosening up some brake dust/rust, sure, but i could also be coincidence as you get just as much vibration if not more from everyday driving, especially down a rough patch of road.

First off the wheel sensors are the primary source for vehicle speed. First pic is from the 6th gen FSM and the second is from the 6.5 gen FSM(it shows a purdy diagram and i doubt anything changed between the two generations).

Shows that a DTC 0P500 code will be shown when the signal from the Unified Meter/AC amp is not correct. But not readable by a GST(Generic Scan Tool), only the Consult during an "Data Monitor" test. Also possible causes.

How the wheel sensors work and a description of the "Fail Safe Mode". Does your car have TCS? It was an option on the 6th gen but standard on the 6.5 gen. If your car does not have TCS that may be why the "Slip" light does not illuminate. The wheel sensor system works by magnetic fields and loose rust and brake dust would be drawn to the sensor rotor impacting the magnetic flux to the actual sensor.

These two sensors report speed to the TCM primarily for smoother shift points. The TCM could also be reporting the speed signal to the Unified Meter/AC Amp for the speedometer as a redundancy. Would explain why the speedometer starts working after the ABS detects a fault. Or the ABS could be using one or more working wheel sensors to send signal for the speedometer and it goes to normal when it senses the faulty sensor and starts ignoring it. Also if either one of these sensors failed then it would trigger and SES light and the code could be read with a GST. No SES light so they are not the problem.

Where your wheel sensors are.

awsome write up man helped soooooo much ive been trying to figure this problem out after my brake light an abs light came on the other day an my car wouldnt start then wen it did start my speedometer an odometer werent working an my gas gauge wuld randomly move up an down under load so i took the whole cluster off an found out my whole cluster fried sum how an so i replaced it still same issue so now im back tracking trying to figure out which sensor an where i need to replace so im going to check all 4 ABS sensors and REVOLUTION SENSOR in the a.m. thx guys for the write up ill letchu know how it goes
lockMAX is offline   Send a private message to lockMAX Find more posts by lockMAX Add lockMAX to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top