Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7783

Reputation Level: 0
maximom is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default ABS/Brake/TCS/Slip Lights, Gauges Nothing, Slow Acceleration

Hello All! --AGAIN.

Iím having some serious problems with my car again. I was driving home today when all of a sudden the brake, abs, tcs, and slip lights came on. I immediately knew something was wrong, so I started looking for somewhere to pull over. I drove a couple miles before pulling over, and as I drove I noticed that my car wasnít accelerating right. And it would get up to about 55mph and stop shifting. (I believe that was 4th gear.) I didnít try too hard to get it to shift, just when it got above 3000rpms I let off the gas. Well I pulled over, checked the wires to my alternator, battery wiresÖ Just random stuff because honestly I didnít know what to check. Since the car was still running I decided to drive it all the way home. From a dead stop, the car was VERY slow to get going, but eventually I was up and driving like normal except for the shifting problem. As I was driving the rest of the way home, all my dash lights except those mentioned went off and all my gauges stopped working. Also, the odometer never changed from when these problems started. I now have the car home, and itís starting just fine, but the lights remain on. Iíve checked some other forums, but the ones who had the lights come on didnít have the other problems that Iím having. Iím at a lossÖ No clue what to do. Iím afraid the thing is really going out this time.

SoÖ Any ideas?
maximom is offline   Send a private message to maximom Find more posts by maximom Add maximom to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 2405

Reputation Level: 9
2damax is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: ABS/Brake/TCS/Slip Lights, Gauges Nothing, Slow Acceleration

have u recently swapped anything out? there is a short somewhere, and it will only get worse. i had the same problems. do u have a CEL on? if so what are they? check your harness grounds. but if u recently changed something out styart there. I did an engine swap then a fewe week later had these exact symptoms. turns out my power steering switch had melted causing wires to touch and eventually put me in fail safe. (which is what it sounds like you were in briefly) when u say it accelerated slow. also check and see if you AC works, if yhat does not u make have to get a AC meter amp as a coin may have fallen into it. alot of possibilites so u will have to start at the begining
Deleted Cat
Greddy Spectre Elite Exhaust
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
2damax is offline   Send a private message to 2damax Find more posts by 2damax Add 2damax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM   Thread Starter #3

Originally Posted by 2damax View Post
have u recently swapped anything out? there is a short somewhere, and it will only get worse. i had the same problems. do u have a CEL on? if so what are they? check your harness grounds. but if u recently changed something out styart there. I did an engine swap then a fewe week later had these exact symptoms. turns out my power steering switch had melted causing wires to touch and eventually put me in fail safe. (which is what it sounds like you were in briefly) when u say it accelerated slow. also check and see if you AC works, if yhat does not u make have to get a AC meter amp as a coin may have fallen into it. alot of possibilites so u will have to start at the begining
I installed a new alternator about a month ago. (Maybe longer) its been running fine except when I'm idling, the alternator vibrates against the motor. But besides that... I just went and checked my car and those lights are still on. I'm pretty dumb with electrical stuff and my mechanic really doesn't mess with it either, so I'm going to have to take a trip to the dealership I think. What you're describing though sounds like the problem. I had no idea that electrical problems could make your car go into a limp home mode.
Also, one thing I forgot to add yesterday... When I was driving my car home after the lights came on and if went into limp mode, I stopped at a stop sign and as I was waiting on traffic I heard a loud pop from behind my A/C controls and the lights on the buttons went out. After that I smelled a faint electrical burning, but it went away after a while. And the air won't turn on now. So I'm thinking that the coin thing is the culprit there, but I don't see how that could be related to the ABS and other lights. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
I don't have a way to check voltage or anything, but if I got one, is it hard to do? Like I said, I'm not good with wiring and electrical, but I'll do almost anything to save a trip to the dealership. Did you do the job yourself when it happened to you?
maximom is offline   Send a private message to maximom Find more posts by maximom Add maximom to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Official Member

@maximom yea its definatly your AC METER AMP, its a white box behind the ac controls. u need to replace that. i got mine on ebay $40. dont bother with the dealership they will just tell u what i did except its gonna cost you $80-160 depending on the nissan dealer you take it to.
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
2damax is offline   Send a private message to 2damax Find more posts by 2damax Add 2damax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Official Member

@maximom the AC METER AMP controls your cluster. i said the same thing when it happend to me. by any chance does the tempreture outside say -32 on your screen?
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Official Member

@maximom took me 5 mins. just have to remove 8 screws. if you get the part ill take pictures step by step for you. its very easy all u need is a phillips screwdriver
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   Thread Starter #7

@maximom yea its definatly your AC METER AMP, its a white box behind the ac controls. u need to replace that. i got mine on ebay $40. dont bother with the dealership they will just tell u what i did except its gonna cost you $80-160 depending on the nissan dealer you take it to.
Yea that's about what I've determined. I looked at some other websites today and saw at least one person with the exact same symptoms as me.
How did you find one for $40 though?? Everything I've seen is over $100 even on ebay. Am I looking at the wrong part? The other sites called it ac amp and when I searched that I came up with an actual nissan service bulletin (here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi...r_Bulletin.pdf )with the coin problem and part number. When I looked up that part number they were all really expensive.
Other than the price of the part, I'm pretty confident that I can do I myself. I just hate taking the dash stuff apart because it never seems to go back the same way. Lol
Oh and my temp isn't even showing up in my car right now.
pearlmarie1011 (07-06-2016)
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Official Member

Originally Posted by maximom View Post
Yea that's about what I've determined. I looked at some other websites today and saw at least one person with the exact same symptoms as me.
How did you find one for $40 though?? Everything I've seen is over $100 even on ebay. Am I looking at the wrong part? The other sites called it ac amp and when I searched that I came up with an actual nissan service bulletin (here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fi...r_Bulletin.pdf )with the coin problem and part number. When I looked up that part number they were all really expensive.
Other than the price of the part, I'm pretty confident that I can do I myself. I just hate taking the dash stuff apart because it never seems to go back the same way. Lol
Oh and my temp isn't even showing up in my car right now.
I got lucky there was only one on ebay and i believe the seller did not realize it was an expensive part. i assume he thought it was just the ac control.
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Official Member

@maximom hey found you one, its $47

04 05 06 Maxima Climate Heater AC Control LKQ | eBay
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-26-2013, 10:36 PM   Thread Starter #10

Omg you're amazing! That's definitely the part. It's got like 10 different names depending on who you ask. Haha I better get it before somebody else does. Thanks a ton! =)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:25 PM   Thread Starter #11

Okay so for anyone who comes across this thread and has the same problems, here are some pictures from when I removed the A/C Amplifier.

Click the image to open in full size.
The white box is the A/C Amp. The area where there aren't any pennies is where the slot is. Those were just waiting for one slight turn to roll into the slot too.

Penny and a dime! Suckers.

This is what actually shorted out. Or busted... Something. I don't know what the technical term is for this thing blowing it's guts and burning a hole in the plastic box. But regardless, this is what you'll probably see if you have this problem.

The hole that was burnt into the plastic. It was directly above the thing in the above picture.

Oh and random pic of the Christmas tree of lights I had going on in my car.

Last edited by maximom; 05-29-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Official Member

@maximom cant see you8r pictures... but is evrything ok now?
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube

Wow. Everything u described happened to me plus my car shut off, but my issue was one of the rubber sleeve connectors in my CAI ripped and too much air was getting to the mass air flow sensor. I'm glad u got this figured out.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Official Member

STICKY!!
Deleted Cat
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 AM   Thread Starter #15

@2damax Crap. They were working last night. I'll try to fix it again, because the pictures are pretty entertaining. Lol
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   Thread Starter #16

Originally Posted by ESTEP_33 View Post
Wow. Everything u described happened to me plus my car shut off, but my issue was one of the rubber sleeve connectors in my CAI ripped and too much air was getting to the mass air flow sensor. I'm glad u got this figured out.
Yea it's pretty crazy that just electrical problems will cause your car to run like mine was. Or shit off in your case. I'm hoping that this is the only thing that went out. The part will be here Monday, so we'll see.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Haha. Shut*** not the other word.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
Official Member

Official Member #: 7325

Reputation Level: 7
05blkmax5761 is an unknown quantity at this point

All of my light's came on to just like yours. But I was told it was my abs system. My question how do you know it's not your abs going up? An if it's the other problem that you say. Why did all of your light's come on?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM   Thread Starter #18

Originally Posted by 05blkmax5761 View Post
All of my light's came on to just like yours. But I was told it was my abs system. My question how do you know it's not your abs going up? An if it's the other problem that you say. Why did all of your light's come on?
I had thought it was my ABS system at first also. It wasn't until I did some thorough research that I found out that our cars have this weird little problem. I figured it was worth the 15 minutes that it took to remove the AC amp and check. If there aren't any coins or anything inside the box and it doesn't look like mine did up in the third picture, then you can probably rule this out as your problem. I guess Nissan thought it was a good idea to have different combinations of lights come on for different problemsÖ A while back my alternator went out and I had a brake, battery, and oil lights on. Without google, I would have never guessed that meant the alternator was having issues. Iím thinking that when these cars have electrical problems like the one that happened to me, these lights come on and it goes into limp home mode so that you donít end up blowing more stuff.

Question: When your lights came on, was that the only problem or did it go into limp home mode? And do your gauges work? If your gauges are still working, it might not be this problem for you.
05blkmax5761 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Official Member

Yes, my lights came on an the car went limp. When I hit the gas the car hesitate like it didn't wanna move. My gauges never messed up, like you did I did my research an found out that I would need to replace my right rear hub an the abs sensor. So I did that, thought it would of fixed it. Come to find out the part that I needed cost 1,300 bucks!! Ouch rite LOL. Hope this dosen't happen to you bro.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Official Member

Yes, my lights came on an the car went limp. When I hit the gas the car hesitate like it didn't wanna move. My gauges never messed up, like you did I did my research an found out that I would need to replace my right rear hub an the abs sensor. So I did that, thought it would of fixed it. Come to find out the part that I needed cost 1,300 bucks!! Ouch rite LOL. Hope this dosen't happen to you bro. Oh an another thing when i hit the brake padel it felt like it was trying to jump back at me. An ah horrible loud sound.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   Thread Starter #21

Originally Posted by 05blkmax5761 View Post
Yes, my lights came on an the car went limp. When I hit the gas the car hesitate like it didn't wanna move. My gauges never messed up, like you did I did my research an found out that I would need to replace my right rear hub an the abs sensor. So I did that, thought it would of fixed it. Come to find out the part that I needed cost 1,300 bucks!! Ouch rite LOL. Hope this dosen't happen to you bro. Oh an another thing when i hit the brake padel it felt like it was trying to jump back at me. An ah horrible loud sound.
Sorry, but I had to LOL at "bro".. I'm a girl. I'll answer to bro though. Haha!

Anways... I replaced the AC amp that I was talking about, and everything went right back to normal. SOOO glad that it was that instead of my ABS. It was a cheap fix. I actually never had a problem with the brakes themselves, like yours did. Just those dumb lights. Did you ever get yours fixed?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
Official Member

I'm sorry!! I LOL to when I seen your message. Yea I got it fixed, it was my ABS module. Pretty expensive 1,300 bucks later.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

That's a burst capacitor...the cheapest thing to do would be to replace the cap and see if everything works...probably a $2 part....I could swap it in minutes...

I would also check all of the other caps on the board...the tops should be nice and flat, and the sides should be uniformly round. If the tops of any of them are bulging or the sides bulging, then they need to be replaced. I had a computer monitor LCD that wouldn't work...I replaced the caps, most of which were bulging, and it works good as new now!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Official Member

Official Member #: 2420

dee.signs is an unknown quantity at this point

Right with you man, try to replace the cap.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM   Thread Starter #25

I already fixed it. I'm not electrical savvy, so I just replaced the entire thing. Thanks for the tip though! =)

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post

That's a burst capacitor...the cheapest thing to do would be to replace the cap and see if everything works...probably a $2 part....I could swap it in minutes...

I would also check all of the other caps on the board...the tops should be nice and flat, and the sides should be uniformly round. If the tops of any of them are bulging or the sides bulging, then they need to be replaced. I had a computer monitor LCD that wouldn't work...I replaced the caps, most of which were bulging, and it works good as new now!