Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM   Thread Starter #1
NafThread Starter
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3973

Reputation Level: 0
Naf is an unknown quantity at this point

Default 2005 Maxima, Fuel Pump Won't Prime

Hi gentlemen, (and ladies)
I have a 2005 maxima that won't start for me. I'll give you the full background i guess...
shortly after i purchased it in early november it stalled out on me once and i couldnt get it started again.. i had it towed and the mechanic's best efforts said he thought it was likely the fuel pump. I passed on having him change it at the time as it was extremely intermittent. it stalled that once, then he had it idle for several hours and couldn't get it to stall out again... I drove the car problem free until last week (2 months). I actually had chalked that one up to bad gas.
Anyway.. here we are, i hoped in after work last thursday and it wouldn't start, fuel pump wouldn't prime. After pushing and pulling some wires on the IPDM and pump connector itself i did get it started, drove home, drove to the grocery store.. next morning nothing again.
This is where i am:
- fuse is good,
- fuel pump relay is good
- if i put a 12V supply directly to the pump pins it fires up immediately.
- latest, as i check the circuits involved i can't seam to get a voltage reading at the pump or "condenser-1" terminals.
Question...
1. What happens if the car is not reading my key properly? does the NVIS allow the starter to turn the engine over and just not supply fuel or what would i see if my key was not registering the NVIS correctly?

appreciate any help.
Naf.
Naf is offline   Send a private message to Naf Find more posts by Naf Add Naf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 29
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2005 Maxima, Fuel Pump Wont Prime

If you are for sure getting power to the pump, then Im quite certain it's either your CKP or CMP. make sure you get signal (resistance check needed) from those sensors.
CKP=Crankshaft position Sensor
CMP= Camshaft positon Sensor
Your Max has 2 cam sensors. One Crank sensor. The Cam sensors are located on each head. Bank 1, and Bank 2.

If your PCM is not receiving a CKP, CMP signal it will not prime the pump, as the computer does not know what relation the crank is in relation to the cams. Its a safety prevention that is engineered into most interference engines. If your timing belt/chains were to fail the computer will not allow fuel to cause more damage to the drivetrain...

The stalling in this case is the giveaway. What happens is the signal is interupted for a split second. Nissan had revised their sensors as they were failing getting oil in them as they split (cam side)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Comments

Great info!
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 01-09-2012 at 12:06 AM.
1hawaii50 (01-09-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 46
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: 2005 Maxima, Fuel Pump Won't Prime

Good info dude!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Do you know if your car is throwing any codes?
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   Thread Starter #5
NafThread Starter

Thanks for the info! I'm going to re-check to make sure the pump isn't receiving voltage by grounding right back to the battery just in case i wasn't getting a good ground on my checks.
I'll also check the sensors as you mentioned.

I don't have codes yet, i may have to tow it over to the dealer and get them into the picture

Any thoughts on the NVIS system? the dealership tech did confirm for me today that it dissables the fuel pump.. anyone know of any direct methods to confirm if it is a key/reader problem without plugging in looking for codes?

ohh also, I've heard that if it is security related (ie, not reading key) and you try to start the car too many times the computer puts it into "lockdown mode". anyone know how to clear the system from lockdown mode just incase that was the original problem?

Much appreciated!
Naf

Last edited by Naf; 01-09-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: ohh also...
Naf is offline   Send a private message to Naf Find more posts by Naf Add Naf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Naf View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm going to re-check to make sure the pump isn't receiving voltage by grounding right back to the battery just in case i wasn't getting a good ground on my checks.
I'll also check the sensors as you mentioned.

I don't have codes yet, i may have to tow it over to the dealer and get them into the picture

Any thoughts on the NVIS system? the dealership tech did confirm for me today that it dissables the fuel pump.. anyone know of any direct methods to confirm if it is a key/reader problem without plugging in looking for codes?

ohh also, I've heard that if it is security related (ie, not reading key) and you try to start the car too many times the computer puts it into "lockdown mode". anyone know how to clear the system from lockdown mode just incase that was the original problem?

Much appreciated!
Naf
Naf, as stated above, personally, I would start in the CKP, CMP sensor area. I dont think its NVIS unless you attempted to start the vehicle with the wrong key numerous times.

Your key is chipped and as long as its in the ignition cylinder (actually according to Nissan folks 1-4 inches) away from the ignition lock, NVIS will recognize it. I base my opinion on the fact that you applied a 12 Volt source directly to the pump and it fired.....so as stated above NVIS recognises the key, therefore not having a reason to put you in a NVIS shutdown mode...

I would not take it to the dealer but rather have a reputable mechanic in your area check your Crank and Cam sensors. This will save you money as long the Technician has the knowledge.. (Reputable is the key here)
Just so you know Cranksensor is 30.99 at autozone, Cam sensors are 51, and 61.00 depending on which bank you need. Not hard to replace all 3 of those sensors by yourself, if you are good with your hands and have a 10mm socket and a ratchet (preferably a 1/4 ratchet) but 3/8 will do also...

If you do decide to change them yourself a quick tip is that the green tab on the sensors connector must first be pushed in (Down toward the sensor) till it clicks, only then you will be able to disconnect them. All three sensors have this type of connector. The reason being it prevents them from becoming disconnected and stall the vehicle down while driving....

Good luck
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 01-09-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM   Thread Starter #7
NafThread Starter

Thanks Danski,
I'll be going over those sensors when i get home from work tonight.
Am I just looking for continuity through them?
I have a service manual that is telling me what terminals to check in sequence but it's saying the result should just be "Except 0 or infinite"
I'm not great with electrical so i'm just second guessing it because other areas of the manual checking for continuity simply say "should show continuity"

Naf.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Burnt Orange

You are checking resistance values as the engine is being cranked as these are Phase sensors, meaning there is a trigger wheel that mekes the sensor register the notches on the wheel (call phases) 0 or infinate values would indicate a faulty sensor....
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 PM   Thread Starter #9
NafThread Starter

well.. the result is this.. both CMP sensors show resistance in all pin configurations my manual says to inspect, (pin 1&2, 1&3, 2&3). I don't see the resistance jumping as i turn the engine over but i suspect that my low grade meter just isn't registering that fast.
also, both CMP harnesses are showing battery voltage when the key is in the ON position.
unfortunately don't have the means to get to the CKP so I believe i'll be looking for that reputable mechanic tomorow.

I'll let you know what the verdict is.
Appreciate all of your help.
Naf
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 PM   Thread Starter #10
NafThread Starter

Just to close the loop on this, the result was a faulty IPDM... fresh one (used) installed and everything running peachy.

Thanks all those who read and provided feedback.
Naf
EddyMaxx (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #11

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Glad you got it fixed. What was the cost and part number? Will serve as a reference to future members.
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 37
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

wow , Just read this and I have to say I have never encounter this,

where you doing any mods to this prior of purchasing this maxima ? is it stock ?
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 PM   Thread Starter #13
NafThread Starter

Hi Niz,
I haven't moded anything... yet. The vehicle had sustained front end damage in it's past. The previous owner had done a rebuild and driven it for about a year. It was strange, you could shake and ratle the unit and occasionally get it to start so it was something shorting or disconnecting somewhere in the IPDM.
Sorry I don't have the part number off hand. It was $282.00 +tax from the dealer (I'm in Ontario, Canada) but I went with a used part that the local garage brought in for $140.00 even.

Naf