Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3665

Reputation Level: 8
416BRAND is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Visit 416BRAND's Facebook Visit 416BRAND's PS3 Profile Visit 416BRAND's Twitter Visit 416BRAND's YouTube
Question 05 SE thoughts on these filters / oil / air / Purolator PureONE / 87 / 89 / synthetic

I had great experience with Purolator PureONE oil filters in all four of my 4th gens. Now I just bought a 2005 SE. I am changing the air filter, cabin air filter and oil filter just for the sake of it - what do you think of these?

+ switching from synthetic to regular oil (Does it really matter if its Castrol GTX 5W/30 or 10W/30 for the winter in Toronto?)

I'm also switching from 89 premium gas to 87 regular. Does this really matter anything I should or shouldn't do or worry about? I know there are so many opinions out there. Looking for some fresh ones now that its 10 years since this car has been on the road. 155000km (96312 mi)

Click the image to open in full size.
89 LINCOLN TOWN CAR RIP
416BRAND is offline   Send a private message to 416BRAND Find more posts by 416BRAND Add 416BRAND to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16528

Reputation Level: 6
Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: 05 SE thoughts on these filters / oil / air / Purolator PureONE / 87 / 89 / synth

Originally Posted by 416BRAND View Post
I had great experience with Purolator PureONE oil filters in all four of my 4th gens. Now I just bought a 2005 SE. I am changing the air filter, cabin air filter and oil filter just for the sake of it - what do you think of these?
I have ran wix filters, fram and others. Anymore, I just use fram because Walmart sells them so cheaply. Never had an issues. I can't say anything about Purolator as I have never used them.
I am currently running a fram oil filter and a CAI with a k+n filter and outerware.
Best thing is to change out filters and oil regularly.

+ switching from synthetic to regular oil (Does it really matter if its Castrol GTX 5W/30 or 10W/30 for the winter in Toronto?)
The colder it gets, the thicker the oil will get. 5w30 will be thinner at start up than 10w30. But at temp, they will be the same. Run 5w30. But why are you wanting to switch from synthetic to dino oil? Run synthetic, it is better and worth it.

I'm also switching from 89 premium gas to 87 regular. Does this really matter anything I should or shouldn't do or worry about? I know there are so many opinions out there. Looking for some fresh ones now that its 10 years since this car has been on the road. 155000km (96312 mi)
I have ran both 87 AKI and 93 AKI in my maxima. I have never noticed a difference running either. You could possibly make more power on premo gas, but I have never noticed anything. My MPG has never changed either.