Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions

Ask Your Technical & General Questions Ask your general and/or technical questions relating to any problem you're experiencing or troubleshooting.

View All Technical & General Questions

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 387

Reputation Level: 11
BossQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Default $6k Estimate From Nissan?

Okay, so I have finally been able to do something about the infamous valve body problem on my Max. Its an 04 Max SE with the 5 spd auto and 136k miles. I took it to an independent shop and they said they could install the valve body and everything for under $1200. Just to make sure nothing else was wrong, I took it to Nissan just to run a diagnostic on everything. I have just had them run one of these in December/January and they told me nothing was wrong. Now, they have a laundry list of problems and the way they are talking, it sounds like my car will implode within a matter of days.

Sorry if this sounds vague but I really need some advice as to what needs to be done immediately, versus down the road and what are some things I could do myself.. I personally think some of the problems they have found might not be real issues, just them trying to make some money. I have always worked in dealerships so I do understand there are some things here to raise their profit. Before anyone questions me, I am very OCD about my Max. Even though it isnt in perfect condition, I go to the extremes to make it last. On the outside, it gets washed about once a week, waxed once a month, I do my oil changes every 4-5k miles and use a high mileage oil filter. Also, I make sure to get an inspection whenever it is in a mechanics hands just to make sure everything is well.

I have uploaded a copy of the estimate so maybe some of you can decipher what it really means..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: $6k Estimate From Nissan?

Go to the other shop. The dealer is a rapist. Plus most transmission shops provide their own warranty with the job so you will be safe.

6k for a tranny job. Yeah OK... I'd rather go to Australia with that $$ lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 PM   Thread Starter #3

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thats how I feel too. Im going to get the valve body done at the other shop and get him to look at the other things they mentioned like the leaking sensors and stuff because this problem was no where to be found a few months ago.

The timing chain and tensioners I have known about but how serious a problem is it really because some people go a few thousand miles before they fix theirs..
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by BossMaxima View Post
Thats how I feel too. Im going to get the valve body done at the other shop and get him to look at the other things they mentioned like the leaking sensors and stuff because this problem was no where to be found a few months ago.

The timing chain and tensioners I have known about but how serious a problem is it really because some people go a few thousand miles before they fix theirs..
There's no way to know how bad the tensioners really are without pulling the front if the engine apart.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

Reputation Level: 15
KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

oh man, tranny problems + tensioners = get rid of the car FAST
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 1083

Reputation Level: 12
Orbit is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Originally Posted by KZ 259 View Post
oh man, tranny problems + tensioners = get rid of the car FAST
I'm usually not one for bailing on a car...but, even at a smaller garage, you're looking at still probably 2-3k.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:42 AM   Thread Starter #7

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

The other shop offers a 90 day warranty versus Nissan. I have decided to go with the small shop because Nissan is going to charge way too much.

Once I get these problems taken care of, the car should be fine for a long time right?

Btw, to any prospective 6th gen owners, stay away from high mileage (100k+) 04-05 Maxs with limited histories..

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

DO NOT spend 6k to fix anything! With that money you can trade in your max the way it is, get a newer one and put that 6 towards it.
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
SD Blue 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 1442

Reputation Level: 18
blue max will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

I agree with blazen don't spend 6k. Go with the smaller shop if you really want to keep the car. Fix the sensors and timing probs asap. If you blow your motor the tranny fix is worthless!
blue max is offline   Send a private message to blue max Find more posts by blue max Add blue max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #10

Official Member #: 1503

Reputation Level: 0
j1186 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your pain man. I have had my max 5months and last month had the trans replaced with a reman. When I purchased the car I did get a warranty so it covered the $3500 repair bill. Its funny the nissan dealership I took mine too didnt have to do a computer reset as it seems is stated on your bill and they wanted $350 to fix the leaking a/c line too. I did question my service rep about the valve body problem and it seemed like he kept dodging the possibility that that could be the cheaper solution to the trans hard shifting problem. All he would tell me was "nissan likes to keep things like that hush hush, they don't tell us anything." Now 5wks later and I had the car back at the shop for hardshifting from 2-3 again and they couldn't recreate the problem. If you have over 100k on yours and you can't get the repair bills reduced significantly at another shop then I would sell it and try and find one with alot less miles or with a cvt trans. Best of luck to you sir.
j1186 is offline   Send a private message to j1186 Find more posts by j1186 Add j1186 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 AM   Thread Starter #11

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Thanks for everyones opinions.. The quoted price from the other shop is much less than $6k so I will be keeping my Max

The guy at this shop is the same one who rebuilt the transmission on my 91 Chevy Z71 and he normally does a lot of race cars, etc. When I took it to him he already knew how terrible the valve bodies were on these cars and even knew the other cars that had these transmissions. Nissan, however, told me that they have no information regarding premature valve body failures on Maximas and that mine is an isolated incident.

When I questioned them about some of the leaks and sensors, they told me that they did not go deep enough into the inspection to see if those were really serious problems or not. So anyways, it just breaks down to another case of dealerships hoping that the customer doesnt know enough about their own car so they can charge exorbitant amounts.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

What dealership and city and state ? We should compile a list of the dealerships known for blatant and unfounded diagnosis.

Glad you found someone reliable to get your Max back on the road.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 08:20 PM   Thread Starter #13

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Ok, I just got my Maxima back from getting the valve body replaced and I am in love with it all over again. I felt like it would be wrong to not put it through some corners and when I did it was an experience like no other. I can truly feel the difference between before I was lowered and now because there is no worry about banging or delayed shifts so I can push my Max much harder than I used to. It feels like a brand new car

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Ripping you a new HOLE,

lets start off , Lower Rad hose is leaking ? the overflow bottle is dry doesnt mean the radiator is low,

if the lower hose is indeed leaking , its a $40 dollar hose , 2 clamps and some fresh coolant and bleed your system.

That can be easily done by yourself and you get to flush the coolant out and refill with some new coolant.

Hose $40ish
Coolant $15

Half hour - hour job.

Cam Shaft postion sensor, theres a gasket underneath them, these are very easily to replace ,

my guestimate on the gasket is maybe $12 -$20 each.

this may take about 1.5- 2 hours if you never taken the upper manifold apart.

as for the A/C hose, ive seen these leaks before, sometimes you get it under warranty , the hose may cost $140 bucks or so , altho I would recommend your mechanic to do it so they can refill the freon r134. ( is your A/C leaking ? does it blow cold ? )

the only two things is the timming chain guide and the valve body , that I would have someone else do if you dont know what your doing.

I cant belive they said the timming chain is BROKEN... if it was broken , the motor wouldnt turn

if you need to look up the prices,

http://www.courtesyparts.com/ <~ you can check the prices here

or give me guy Dave B @ South Point Nissan in TX a Call,
888-254-6060

hes big on the.org and he gives us discounts, a friendly guy and he can track all your parts for you.

im not sure how many ATL / GA 6th gen owners are around, if you are on the big.org

PM * Jess * shes up in ATL and she pretty much gathers up the Maxima owners in that area , maybe she can point you in the right direction or right people to work on some of your issues.

6K is a bit steep because they are milking the clock.
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

You can also hit up Raul (MrDolla) for parts...good guy!