Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods

How To's & DIY Mods Helpful instructions on how to perform popular mods on your Maxima. Forum and its members are not responsible for any issues that may occur. Perform these modifications at your own risk.
View View All How To's & DIY Mods

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14567

Reputation Level: 0
JRush is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit JRush's Twitter Visit JRush's YouTube
Default Trailing Arm In The Way!

I am trying to remove a stuck rear brake caliper for replacement on my 2004 SE. It's all apart except for the bottom caliper bolt - it is hitting the trailing arm.

Any hints on how to get the trailing arm out of the way so that I can remove the bolt? The 17mm bolts on the trailing arm aren't budging. I've tried moving the wheel up (with another jack) - doesn't produce enough clearance.

Couldn't find it addressed in any of the stickies or with search and I'm stuck.

Thanks!
JRush is offline   Send a private message to JRush Find more posts by JRush Add JRush to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Trailing Arm In The Way!

Lift up the car, place a jack stand under the knuckle of that arm, which would be under the actual hub.. and lower the car slowly. You'll see how the hub will go up and the arm will get out of your way.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the tip Deadbolt .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
Lift up the car, place a jack stand under the knuckle of that arm, which would be under the actual hub.. and lower the car slowly. You'll see how the hub will go up and the arm will get out of your way.
Thanks, Deadbolt. I tried that yesterday and the suspension didn't have enough range of motion to move the arm out of the way. Perhaps having the car on a slight incline (decline with respect to the rear) put me at a disadvantage.

I had a suggestion that I remove the bracket that holds the caliper in place. Makes sense if it can be done. I say 'if' because I'm not assuming anything - this whole operation took less than an hour for both sides on my 5th gen. I suppose there are certain costs to having the rear wheels swing independently.

One thing that occurred to me was to see if I could pull the problematic bolt out before jacking up the car (same effect as Deadbolt's suggestion, just to the extreme of using all of the weight as typically distributed). I'll give that a whirl, first.
JRush is offline   Send a private message to JRush Find more posts by JRush Add JRush to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM   Thread Starter #5

Just a quick note: that works! I was able to pull the bolt using Deadbolt's suggestion with a bit of a modification. I pulled the lower bolt before jacking up the car using a 6" extension on the ratchet. Thanks for the help!