Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods

How To's & DIY Mods Helpful instructions on how to perform popular mods on your Maxima. Forum and its members are not responsible for any issues that may occur. Perform these modifications at your own risk.
View View All How To's & DIY Mods

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18773

Reputation Level: 0
jaykongjeli is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default P0011 AND P0021

Hello guys,

I’ve got a quick question about my 2006 maxima 6 speed.
I have a 6 speed 06 and one of the main bearings went out in it. I bought an engine from an automatic 07 maxima to put in it but I realized that the intake manifold for the 07 engine doesn’t have EGR. I swapped out the intake manifold from the 06 engine with the EGR tube to the bank 1 catalytic converter. Also swapped the flywheels and everything regarding the auto/manual set up. I’m getting codes p0011 and p0021.
I did the timing chain while the engine was out and noticed that oil was kinda burnt into the timing chain cover of the 2008 engine.
Ive checked the resistance of the IVT solenoids and the crank/cam sensors. Those check out
Has anyone heard of this before?
Are the engines not compatible or did I do something wrong regarding adding the EGR from the 2006 to the non EGR 2007 engine?
jaykongjeli is offline   Send a private message to jaykongjeli Find more posts by jaykongjeli Add jaykongjeli to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Official Member #: 18767

Peanut54066 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
Default Re: P0011 AND P0021

Originally Posted by jaykongjeli View Post
Hello guys,

I’ve got a quick question about my 2006 maxima 6 speed.
I have a 6 speed 06 and one of the main bearings went out in it. I bought an engine from an automatic 07 maxima to put in it but I realized that the intake manifold for the 07 engine doesn’t have EGR. I swapped out the intake manifold from the 06 engine with the EGR tube to the bank 1 catalytic converter. Also swapped the flywheels and everything regarding the auto/manual set up. I’m getting codes p0011 and p0021.
I did the timing chain while the engine was out and noticed that oil was kinda burnt into the timing chain cover of the 2008 engine.
Ive checked the resistance of the IVT solenoids and the crank/cam sensors. Those check out
Has anyone heard of this before?
Are the engines not compatible or did I do something wrong regarding adding the EGR from the 2006 to the non EGR 2007 engine?
I had the same codes about two weeks ago. When doing the valve cover gaskets some debris had fallen into the little timing solenoid holes and plugged the screens. I dissembled the solenoids and cleaned all the screens. I then did the timing reset which is hold the engine unloaded and in neutral at 2000 rpms for about 30 seconds. Are you getting a rough idle as well?
Peanut54066 is online now   Send a private message to Peanut54066 Find more posts by Peanut54066 Add Peanut54066 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 PM   Thread Starter #3

no my idle is perfectly fine, but when i try to drive (under load) the car is super slow to accelerate. Cant drive it out of my block because it picks ups speed too slow.

You said the screens on the IVT solenoids needed to be cleaned? and then did the reset procedure?
jaykongjeli is offline   Send a private message to jaykongjeli Find more posts by jaykongjeli Add jaykongjeli to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #4

no my idle is perfectly fine, but when i try to drive (under load) the car is super slow to accelerate. Cant drive it out of my block because it picks ups speed too slow.

You said the screens on the IVT solenoids needed to be cleaned? and then did the reset procedure?
Yes. I cleaned them. Cleared the code and then did the reset. Code never came back on. I also cleaned the MAF and my grounds. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Peanut54066 is online now   Send a private message to Peanut54066 Find more posts by Peanut54066 Add Peanut54066 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Peanut54066 View Post
Yes. I cleaned them. Cleared the code and then did the reset. Code never came back on. I also cleaned the MAF and my grounds. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Its kind of a crappy code. Could be anything from a dirty MAF, Vacuum leak, Dirty low oil, even low battery voltage can cause this. Had the donor engine sat for a while? Could have had sludge in the sump. But if you pull those solenoids apart and clean them I bet they are getting stuck on some grime.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:04 PM   Thread Starter #6

Yes, I do think the engine had sat for a little while.

I was thinking of running an engine cleaner in it to maybe clear some of the sludge off? Since its a Crank/Cam sensor related code, i was thinking maybe the sludge is built up on the slots of the camshafts/crankshaft and causing this beast of a car to run so awful.

What solution did you use to clean your screens? i am going to clean those first this weekend (time permitting). And then get the car motor and add an engine cleaner to it. And follow that with the timing reset you had mentioned above.

I just dont see why when its at idle the engine is quiet and no rough start but then under load is when it acts up.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

Yes, I do think the engine had sat for a little while.

I was thinking of running an engine cleaner in it to maybe clear some of the sludge off? Since its a Crank/Cam sensor related code, i was thinking maybe the sludge is built up on the slots of the camshafts/crankshaft and causing this beast of a car to run so awful.

What solution did you use to clean your screens? i am going to clean those first this weekend (time permitting). And then get the car motor and add an engine cleaner to it. And follow that with the timing reset you had mentioned above.

I just dont see why when its at idle the engine is quiet and no rough start but then under load is when it acts up.
Maybe run some Seafoam and then change the oil. Did you do all the throttle and idle resets? I used brake cleaner and let them dry.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:27 PM   Thread Starter #8

So i changed the oil right away, since i had to remove the oil pan to get to the two screws on the bottom of the timing cover.
So the oil is clean but i didnt run it long enough for that oil to maybe clean out the built up sludge in the engine.

Also... now that im recalling it there was a bad gas smell from the car. Almost as if the cats had been cut off... that pure exhaust smell thats hard to explain.

Also i've used seafoam at the air intake vacuum line but never in the gas tank. which one would you recommend?

Thanks btw for the good ideas. I just want my fun car back
Old 12-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

So i changed the oil right away, since i had to remove the oil pan to get to the two screws on the bottom of the timing cover.
So the oil is clean but i didnt run it long enough for that oil to maybe clean out the built up sludge in the engine.

Also... now that im recalling it there was a bad gas smell from the car. Almost as if the cats had been cut off... that pure exhaust smell thats hard to explain.

Also i've used seafoam at the air intake vacuum line but never in the gas tank. which one would you recommend?

Thanks btw for the good ideas. I just want my fun car back
I would run it in the oil for a 100 miles then drain