Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods

How To's & DIY Mods Helpful instructions on how to perform popular mods on your Maxima. Forum and its members are not responsible for any issues that may occur. Perform these modifications at your own risk.
View View All How To's & DIY Mods

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default How to Read Check Engine Light (CEL) Code Without Scanner

This will come in handy if you don't have access to a code scanner instantly. It works but takes some patience.

This writeup will show you how to read/pull the fault codes, usually accompanied by a Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon. You do not need an OBDII code reader or any other special tools to do this.

To take a reading without using an OBD II reader, you can do this:

Note: Familiarize yourself with the entire procedure before attempting. A pen, paper, and stop watch will be helpful.

1. Put the car into “ON” without the engine started (hit the ignition button twice without having your foot on the brake)

2. Wait 3 seconds for the car to do a systems check (you know this is done when all the lights except your service engine light go off)

3. Do 5 full accelerator press and releases in 5 seconds (floor your car 5 times in 5 seconds)

4. Wait 7 seconds.

5. Floor the accelerator again, and hold it there for 10 seconds (approx).Your service engine light will turn off.

6. When the light turns off, take your foot off the pedal, and get ready to count.

At this point, the service engine light will start blinking.It will give you a 4 digit code – the first number will flash slowly, followed by a slight pause, the next three numbers will flash quickly, all with a pause in the middle.10 flashes means a number “0.”So if your car blinked 10 times, then 4, then 4, then 2 again, you would have a code of “0442,” which is your gas cap thing. Other codes can be determined by looking at a OBD II code reference sheet.

Source Credit: NicoClub.com
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 PM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: How to Read Check Engine Light (CEL) Code Without Scanner

Another Version:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.

2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)

3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.

4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.

5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)

The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
The Irish 6th Gen!

Official Member #: 61

Reputation Level: 10
iirishsamuraii is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

really... I feel like im fixing a computer listening to bios beeps lol
iirishsamuraii is offline   Send a private message to iirishsamuraii Find more posts by iirishsamuraii Add iirishsamuraii to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 67
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Eddy, I am assuming the 2nd set of instructions is for cars without pushbutton start. Is this correct?

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by thundershott View Post
Eddy, I am assuming the 2nd set of instructions is for cars without pushbutton start. Is this correct?
Yeah I edited them both to reflect without push button.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Thundershott (11-20-2010)