Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods

How To's & DIY Mods Helpful instructions on how to perform popular mods on your Maxima. Forum and its members are not responsible for any issues that may occur. Perform these modifications at your own risk.
View View All How To's & DIY Mods

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4657

Reputation Level: 0
davidmax04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Alternator Bottom Removal

Hello
I get the lucky opportunity to try and replace my alternator this weekend. I have read a variety of posts discussing removing the radiator to access the alternator. I have also read somewhere that you can remove the alternator from the bottom avoiding the removal of the radiator. Is this possible? If so how? ALso, are there any tips that you guys could give me? I would greatly appreciate it. I dont have the money to pay someone to do this repair. Also, are the alternator bolts that hard to get to? it seems that the head is facing the engine and not the outside. Again, thanks in advance.
davidmax04 is offline   Send a private message to davidmax04 Find more posts by davidmax04 Add davidmax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Official Member #: 6302

maxlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: alternator bottom removal

the search function should show the ways people did it from the bottom. I've heard they lower part of the A/C and that gives them the required clearance.

I did it from the top without removing the radiator. I removed the fans which gave me enough clearance to get everything out. It required getting my hands in some tight spots but easier than pulling the radiator. Pulling the fans is two bolts at the top and then two plugs for the wiring harness.

The tough part came when I had to re install the lower bolt on the alt. What we did was used these long mechanical fingers (Long "heavy duty" from Northern Tools) to work the bolt in from the bottom of the car going in over the exhaust. Helps if someone is helping jiggle the alt to line it up. once we got it part of the way in I used something from the top to push it in while moving the alt.

All told it is around 1.5 if you have those mechanical fingers.
maxlover is offline   Send a private message to maxlover Find more posts by maxlover Add maxlover to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM   Thread Starter #3

was it hard to access the regurlar bolts? any special tools besides the fingers?
thanks
davidmax04 is offline   Send a private message to davidmax04 Find more posts by davidmax04 Add davidmax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   Thread Starter #4

was it hard to access the regurlar bolts? any special tools besides the fingers?
thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube
Default Re: Alternator Bottom Removal

Damn.. making me kind a nervous to tackle this alternator job Han Solo..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Official Member #: 6302

maxlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Alternator Bottom Removal

I found the other bolts easy to access. The hardest thing to get on is the adjusting bolt for the alternator belt which is accessible from the top. I use an extension with a swivel on the end to reach this part. I believe it is 14mm. other than that it is pretty easy.

If I remember correctly, remove battery, remove top hose for radiator and catch fluid, remove two bolts holding fan in and angle fan up and out around the neck on the radiator. Loosen bolt on adjusting pulley then loosen the adjusting bolt from the top remove belt. Unplug harness to alternator. Then remove bolts from alternator I believe there are just two? One should be from the top and the other accessible from the underside. May be accessible from the top if you can get in there, I forget. This is the one that is tough to replace.

If you get stuck give me a ring 256 458 8276. Not sure how much help I will be but I did the job a while ago.

Oh. The replacement alt may have the bearing that the bolt slides through a bit exposed, mine did. I beat it back in with a hammer and flat surface and it fit back into the guide for it. I guess it didn't get pressed in all the way at the factory.
maxlover is offline   Send a private message to maxlover Find more posts by maxlover Add maxlover to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top