Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Showcase your wheels and tires. Also, discuss which tires you use.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How To Check For Expired Tires

I bet many of you guys never knew about this. According to this piece on ABC news, the rubber compound in tires dries out over time and becomes brittle after 6 years or so. This can lead to blowouts, nasty rollovers and to the premature pushing up of the the old daisies! The scary thing is that potentially dangerous tires are sold as new at major auto outlets like Sears. Legally they are new, having never been used and having no tread wear at all.

All tires have a manufacture date stamped on the side of them but this number was never meant to be easily read by the general public as it's somewhat criptic to decipher:
  • Date will be most likely be on the outside rubber wall of the tire but I found that on my winter tires I had to look on the inside wall of the tire
  • Dates are normally 3 or four digits long and stamped in a recessed roundish rectangle on the sidewall of the tire
  • Before 2000, the date code had three digits so if your little code only has 3 digits then you're already in trouble, your tires are a minium of eight years old and could potentially be deadly.
  • For tires that have four digits the last two are normally the year this is what you need to look at
  • First two digits are the week so 0504 is fifth week in 2004
Just looked at the tires on my ride and the code I see says 0504, this means the tire was made in 2004. So peeps it's time to grab a flashlight and go and check the age of your rubber, EVEN IF YOUR TIRES ARE NEW or the tread looks good!

Click the image to open in full size.

In the photo above, the date code is 8PY806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).

The date of manufacture is essential information for car owners and tire buyers because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend replacing ANY tire that is more than six (6) years old, including the spare tire. No such recommendations have yet been made by domestic vehicle manufacturers.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:10 AM   Thread Starter #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: How To Check For Expired Tires

You guys might be thinking that you are getting a great deal on brand new tires. But in reality they NEW (expired) tires. Many places that sell them don't go by expiration... just by usage because even they don't know about this. You might want to reconsider the next time a good deal with with tires seems too good to be true.

This is what can happen to expired tires.

This 15 year old tire was rotten and failed at 70 mph on the highway. Fortunately, the driver was able to maintain control of the vehicle and did not crash. Others have not been so lucky.

Another view of the same tire. You can see how rotten this tire was and how easily it just fell apart.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Wow never knew that.. Will check mine on my break lol
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

Official Member #: 27

Reputation Level: 13
Jammaxx is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

I came across this on Yahoo sometime last year. I told my coworkers and everyone scrambled to go check their tires....mavis made so much money because of me. It was crazy to see how many ppl were actually riding around on expired and dangerous tires.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
RI's 6th Gen Elite
Donating Member

Official Member #: 93

Reputation Level: 16
elitemax04 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

yayy i need new tires

In a relationship with MAXiPAD72O
elitemax04 is offline   Send a private message to elitemax04 Find more posts by elitemax04 Add elitemax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

Official Member #: 199

Reputation Level: 0
aznstormin is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Glad to see this info in the forum. Very few people unfortunately know about this - saw this on ABC few years ago, and now I don't buy a tire older than 1 year. I tell ALL my friends when looking for tires...
aznstormin is offline   Send a private message to aznstormin Find more posts by aznstormin Add aznstormin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 56

Reputation Level: 10
EmAych is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

good info eddy. im actually looking to get new set of wheels; one of mine blewout last night heading home from the city

but now lets say you bought some tires online, like off of tirerack. then what do you do??

04 SL; gone, but never forgotten
EmAych is offline   Send a private message to EmAych Find more posts by EmAych Add EmAych to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
The Bronx 6th Gen

Official Member #: 19

Reputation Level: 16
Blackoutt is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:

Originally Posted by EmAych View Post
good info eddy. im actually looking to get new set of wheels; one of mine blewout last night heading home from the city

but now lets say you bought some tires online, like off of tirerack. then what do you do??
i dont really think theres anything you can do. unless ocne you get them you send them abck saying they are x amount of years old and even then you will probably still have to pay shipping both ways n they may not even accept a refund ya know

...Team Street REVOLUZION...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gearbox....Love your dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

eddy... are you trying to hint something????
Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top