Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Audio, Video & Electronics

Audio, Video & Electronics Showcase your speakers, LCD's, decks, amps, DVD, Car PC, alarms etc...

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:48 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17716

Reputation Level: 0
nelgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Replacing stock Bose

Hello everyone first time posting.

I know this subject has been covered but it's been some time and there have been new advances, I'm sure.

I picked up a use Nissan Maxima, late model 2007. It came pretty loaded except I also have the amber screen, while nice, lets down the car somewhat. I have the Bose audio with 6 cd changer.

There are a few options and I'm looking at the D5168ZU as a possible replacement. It seems to has the features I want, but I wouldn't know what I'd need to get it working with the Bose wiring, if at all possible.

From what I've been reading, the Bose speakers are 1 ohm where as regular speakers at 4 ohm, so...I really have no idea and just looking for advice or options. I'd like something that'll still work with the steering wheel controls which this one does, it seems.

Thanks,
Nigel
nelgin is offline   Send a private message to nelgin Find more posts by nelgin Add nelgin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Official Member #: 17348

Avguytx is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Replacing stock Bose

If you're using the Nissan Bose adapter, it really doesn't matter what the impedance of your stock Bose speakers are since the stock amp is still driving them. If you had bad speakers that needed to be exchanged, that would be another story. With the radio adapter, you can put practically any deck in you want.
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM   Thread Starter #3

No, this is the factory installed Bose system which I believe has an amp on each speaker?
nelgin is offline   Send a private message to nelgin Find more posts by nelgin Add nelgin to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Ok, so you're just wanting to replace the stock head unit with a new one, correct? If so, you just get the Nissan/Bose radio wiring harness and it connects right in. You don't have to worry about the impedance mis-match as the stock Bose amps/speakers are still there. The harness will take either the low voltage (RCA's) or high voltage (speaker wires) from the aftermarket radio and get it to the right input voltage for the stock amps to work.

You don't have to remove the stock amps/speakers for changing a radio.
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2016, 03:59 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by Avguytx View Post
Ok, so you're just wanting to replace the stock head unit with a new one, correct? If so, you just get the Nissan/Bose radio wiring harness and it connects right in. You don't have to worry about the impedance mis-match as the stock Bose amps/speakers are still there. The harness will take either the low voltage (RCA's) or high voltage (speaker wires) from the aftermarket radio and get it to the right input voltage for the stock amps to work.

Like I said, I was looking at something like D5168ZU which specifically states that it wont work in cars where the Bose is installed. To quote the website "Maxima with Bose system are not compatible with the unit". I'm just wondering what it is that would stop it working with a Bose system other than wiring.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #6

Official Member #: 6540

Reputation Level: 9
incubus0111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Avguytx View Post

OP, read what he is telling you....

but here is the info you need...

The HU you linked should work; using the Integration Harness. With out that harness it would not work with the Bose system.

Last edited by incubus0111; 05-02-2016 at 11:35 PM.
incubus0111 is offline   Send a private message to incubus0111 Find more posts by incubus0111 Add incubus0111 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2016, 03:10 AM   Thread Starter #7

Originally Posted by incubus0111 View Post
OP, read what he is telling you....

but here is the info you need...

The HU you linked should work; using the Integration Harness. With out that harness it would not work with the Bose system.
There's a whole bunch of harnesses out there. Any suggestions on the right one? (part number or link)? I'm afraid this sort of thing isn't my strong point.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 AM   Thread Starter #8

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...che-NN06B.html

Would this do the job?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #9

With an integration harness, you can put pretty much any head unit that will fit in your car. I've put aftermarket radios in cars with Bose systems since GM/Cadillac started then back in the early 80's. Same holds true with any aftermarket radio added to whatever stock system. It's much easier now than it was 30+ years ago.

Bose doesn't make radios....just the amps and speakers. Never have, never will. Well, there was this one indash cassette player that came with the "usual" 4" Bose speakers and amplifier back in the early 80's. It sounded like total crap and wouldn't fit anything.

Last edited by Avguytx; 05-03-2016 at 09:44 AM.